r1200 gsa weather protection

leegti6

Reaction score
Hi,

So i have a r1200 gsa and i'm noticing when the roads are a little wet and i get off the bike, my seat is a little wet. Which i'm guessing it's flicking up from the rear wheel.

So my question is, Are there any parts availble that would prevent this from happening?

Many Thanks

lee

Nippy Norman’s do a Mudsling for the rear & fender extender for the front. Those will both help.

And I have those items for sale in the “For Sale” section ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you know is there any problem having those panels as well as the mudsling?

I tried the mudsling. Wasn’t that impressed. I use the infill panels and a rear hugger. Much much better

Attachments

• D2392FD5-EA27-46EA-A705-7AABB2CD5D86.jpg
    D2392FD5-EA27-46EA-A705-7AABB2CD5D86.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 1,636
  • BAEFC6A1-F895-4C90-9A9A-ACE7FDE0285E.jpg
    BAEFC6A1-F895-4C90-9A9A-ACE7FDE0285E.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 1,617
I have both the mudsling and the hugger on mine. NN say you can't fit both, but you can, they just rub together on the driveshaft side so I cut a small section of the hugger off. There's no magic bullet and the more bits you add the less you get on you, it just depends how deep your pockets are and which you prefer.

The back of my left thigh got covered in shit despite having a Mudsling fitted. I tried in-fill panels (home made) but that little difference. What has made a difference is a plate to go on the centre stand. Specifically one of these:- https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gsa--lc-stand-bash-plate-123-p.asp - Other sources are available. However be aware that Cymarc's plate doesn't fit the stand on a lowered chassis bike, as mine is. I resorted to a session with my bench grinder to make it work.

Or you could just use an old biscuit tin lid and cable tie it on. Which I did initially and found it worked! :D

The back of my left thigh got covered in shit despite having a Mudsling fitted.

I have the mudsling more to protect the shock and other gubbins from crap (makes it easier to clean during its biannual wash). The front fender extender on the other hand is awesome and keeping front spray off me and the engine.

I tried the mudsling. Wasn’t that impressed. I use the infill panels and a rear hugger. Much much better

The problem with those is you’ve got to remove them every time you clean the bike. Unless you want the areas you’ve missed to corrode.

haven't been able to get back on the pc until now.

Thanks very much for all your responses. over the next few days, I'll look into them. Definantly need will be needing it over the next few months.

Just find it strange that it only seems to be under my right leg on the seat.

Try this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Rear-Fender-Mudguard-Wheel-Hugger-Fit-For-BMW-R1200GS-LC-Adventure-13-16/263600143474?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

£36, so cheap as chips and I couldn't really tell the difference in quality between this one and the hugely expensive Wunderlich one that it's modelled on. They may even come out of the same factory! Mounting bracket is an anodised solid aluminium casting, very robust indeed.

Have placed an order for this.

Are longer bolts required for this?

The guys are right, you’ll need the infil panels as well. Strangely enough it was my left side that got wet.. strange !!

Have placed an order for this.

Are longer bolts required for this?

Yes but the're included within the kit. You have to remove the parallever end bolt ensuring you have chocked up the rear wheel to stop the driveshaft dropping, then remove the LHS rear brake caliper bolt. This then fits into place and the longer bolts are torqued up to factory spec.

Yes but the're included within the kit. You have to remove the parallever end bolt ensuring you have chocked up the rear wheel to stop the driveshaft dropping, then remove the LHS rear brake caliper bolt. This then fits into place and the longer bolts are torqued up to factory spec.
Would also use medium strength Loctite on the two bolts.

Would also use medium strength Loctite on the two bolts.

Yep, although the torque settings are pretty high for the paralever mounting bolt...should be no need on that one except for peace of mind.

I tried the mudsling. WasnÂ’t that impressed. I use the infill panels and a rear hugger. Much much better

I've just fitted the above cover, but i've left the colla in how they had it which means the bolt that they have supplied with the part sticks out. Or should i of turned it around, So the head of the bolt is hiden?

Back
Top Bottom