Dash failure?

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my dash started playing up over the weekend. Driving home in the rain the service indicator came on and the clock went to 00:00 and wouldn’t budge. Service is due in May 2019 so that’s a little premature!

Today the clock is now : With no numbers the trip had reset when I got on and the neutral light won’t come on (although N shows when in neutral not the green light) also might right indicator indicator light wouldn’t show for most of the ride to work then started working.

Any idea what’s going on with it? Can I reset it or is it buggered?

Is your battery just about to crap out completely?

(I’d expect your external lighting to fail, though)

Check the voltage at standstill and with the engine running. should be about 12.6/14.5v resp.

It’s an easy check

Will check the battery when I get home tonight but starts on the button and all exterior lights are fine

Could be the wiring connector.

Bendy - would that be the conector the goes into the back of the dash above the main beam?

That's the one. It clips in but the instruments do shake about so has to be an area to check. You can also take the back off the pod to check for broken solder connections.

That's the one. It clips in but the instruments do shake about so has to be an area to check. You can also take the back off the pod to check for broken solder connections.

Cheers. Just unplugged it and plugged it back in - service indicator has cleared and I could set the time so appears to have improved but no N light and no flashing brake failure when I started it so guess I might have to have it apart to check solder connections at some point.

Will find out for sure on the ride home

Cheers. Just unplugged it and plugged it back in - service indicator has cleared and I could set the time so appears to have improved but no N light and no flashing brake failure when I started it so guess I might have to have it apart to check solder connections at some point.

Will find out for sure on the ride home

Wont be many ;) its all surface mount spray some contact cleaner in the socket & plug and plug / unplug a few times to make sure everyting is clean

(make sure all has evaporated before turning on ) you may have got water in the unit, look for corrosion or water staining on the PCB

Isoprop is good for cleaning & contact cleaner but dont go rambo on the PCB - the copper tracks are microns thin lol

Spoke to my dealer today and they thought the service indicator will be because the units forgotten the date which makes sense.

Riding home the dash cam progressively back to life, first the clock then the neutral indicator. Had a couple of stop offs on the way so it got turned off and on again which seemed to help and all the anomalies had gone by the time I got home.

I expect they’ll come back tomorrow morning but I need to swing by the dealer on Friday anyway so they said they’d plug it in to see what codes are being thrown and reset any errors ...

Spoke to my dealer today and they thought the service indicator will be because the units forgotten the date which makes sense.

Riding home the dash cam progressively back to life, first the clock then the neutral indicator. Had a couple of stop offs on the way so it got turned off and on again which seemed to help and all the anomalies had gone by the time I got home.

I expect they’ll come back tomorrow morning but I need to swing by the dealer on Friday anyway so they said they’d plug it in to see what codes are being thrown and reset any errors ...

I doubt any codes will be stored tbh - whats it's telling you is , get out and ride it :)

I had a phase a number of years ago where my average mph and average mpg would reset to zero every time I turned off the ignition, I took off the Speedo and cleaned the connections, it hasn't done it since, could be as simple.

I had a phase a number of years ago where my average mph and average mpg would reset to zero every time I turned off the ignition, I took off the Speedo and cleaned the connections, it hasn't done it since, could be as simple.

Think I might have something similar. Everything worked fine this morning so will clean the connectors over the weekend to try to avoid a repeat!

I would recommend buying an inexpensive glass fibre circuit board cleaning pencil and an aerosol of spray contact cleaner. Extend the fibre bristles from the pencil and rub over the blades of the male connector to rub off any oxide and rinse with a quick squirt of the cleaner, repeat for the female then reassemble the connector block.

I would recommend buying an inexpensive glass fibre circuit board cleaning pencil and an aerosol of spray contact cleaner. Extend the fibre bristles from the pencil and rub over the blades of the male connector to rub off any oxide and rinse with a quick squirt of the cleaner, repeat for the female then reassemble the connector block.
As cheap alternative to a glass fibre pencil, if your kids have an old kite lying in a toy box the spars are often thin glass fibre rods. Tape one up , half an inch from the end and hold it over a gas ring ( well ventilated ;) ) the resin burns off, and leaves a glass fibre pencil :)

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

As cheap alternative to a glass fibre pencil, if your kids have an old kite lying in a toy box the spars are often thin glass fibre rods. Tape one up , half an inch from the end and hold it over a gas ring ( well ventilated ;) ) the resin burns off, and leaves a glass fibre pencil :)

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Nice! No kids or kite so I’ll splash out the £5 on a pencil!

Back
Top Bottom