Named second driver query

slimpickings

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have now decided to become a one car family

I am the main driver and v5 is in my name ,my wife is named second driver

We both have full NCB

Will my wife lose her NCB if she remains a second driver in the future, or do we swap main driver each year thus keeping our NCB
Is it possible to insure a car as main driver without being registered owner ?

As far as I'm aware she'll lose the no claims accrued as a named driver after a couple of years.
You can insure a vehicle if you are not the registered keeper but as far as I'm aware, to do so you need to be the 'main driver' - which may cause queries in the event of a claim if you swap every year...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

NCB lasts 2 years once you no longer have insurance, I used to swop with my wife to keep her NCB and mine, however I got paranoid about the way she drives, especially when it will effect 2 other policies I have if she bumps the car.

Mrs Pops was a named driver on my car for a few years then got her own car. When she came to insure it she was granted a few years NCB for being a named driver, but not as many years as if she had her own insurance. This may well differ from insurer to insurer.

We have now decided to become a one car family

I am the main driver and v5 is in my name ,my wife is named second driver

We both have full NCB

Will my wife lose her NCB if she remains a second driver in the future, or do we swap main driver each year thus keeping our NCB
Is it possible to insure a car as main driver without being registered owner ?

Most companies insist that main driver is registered keeper. Direct line will allow the second driver to accrue NCB too as well as the main driver, well they did for us for years anyway . TheMrs has now swapped her car insurance to somebody else now so I’m not getting accrued NCB anymore as the named 2nd driver.

Some companies, I think Direct line are one, allow the named driver to also build no claims.

Back
Top Bottom