Written off bike

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Insurers don't like bikes that have been written off, even cosmetic only write offs.... :mad: Written off for a set of crash bars, front indicator, driving light and front brake cyclinder on handlebar.....oh, and a slight dent in the tank (new tank, rather than quote for repair on the insurance quote for damage).

Which rather puts the lie to all the, “Buy back the bike, do it up, you’ll make a fortune” bits of advice we see on these pages. For every winner, there’ll be two losers.

I'm guessing their actuarial statistics suggest written off bikes are more likely to result in a claim.

My understanding was written off / bought back and reinsured bikes were quite happily reinsured

The only thing to be aware of, was if the vehicle in an accident again, you would only get payout to the original pre write off value

ie all the bits to repair / bring back to OK condition wouldnt be covered / paid out for.

I managed to insure a Cat C (as was, for my Blade which was beyond economical repair) bike with only a new MOT and no engineers report with Aviva via Bennets :nenau

My 1200 GSA was written off a couple of years back at 48k (front end, after someone pulled across me and stopped dead on Vauxhall Bridge), and I bought it back for Brian at BGM to get back on the road. It's almost now done 108k and although the repair was around the £3,000, In this instance, it's been a success story for me, but it was touch-and-go during the rebuild, as Brian kept phoning me to tell me that it must have been a really hard hit and that it needed a few more bits than we previously thought...

Can't remember everything that needed replacing, but it included forks, wheel spindle, paralever, cockpit frame and the frame needed a little re-jigging. My insurers (Motorcycle Direct) didn't have a problem at renewal, although I appreciate I'll probably only get 50p in the event of another total loss.

Will probably end up keeping this as a winter hack when it's time to replace it (I want to do at least another 9k on it so I'll have had it for 100,000). ;)

Problem with crashed bikes is the insurer dosnt know if it was running on its side or upside down etc etc.
They are understandably reluctant to spend say £1500 having it repaired only for the motor to go bang 20 miles after collection.
Just to much liability for all parties,insurer,repairer .better just to pay out and sell the salvage.

Back
Top Bottom