Cleaning out Gear Change Assembly ?

luke scott

Reaction score
My gear change has got impossible to use I need to take the linkage apart on the gear change to clean out the gunge and free it up. Has anyone got an exploded view of the way it comes apart ? I found the "ring spring" thingy and removed it but still can't release the rest of it. . . . . . Help please.

Once the small spring release pin has been unclipped and rotated (one top and bottom) it then slides , the ball joints will just popped apart with a little effort.

If it’s stiff to select a gear, the rear pivot is the usual bit that needs taking apart, cleaning and greasing to give a smooth gear change.

Attachments

• EF3E8472-BDDF-489C-BD50-F4008E51198E.jpeg
    EF3E8472-BDDF-489C-BD50-F4008E51198E.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 283
Part number 8 in the diagram posted by Stu is the culprit - it needs to be pushed out of the gear lever, rubbed down with wet & dry and greased before re-assembling

Part 6 the spring clip . . . . Is there only one spring clip ?
One on each socket on the link bar luke

As Steptoe says its the actual lever pivot bush / pivot bolt

I usually cut a slot through the two bushes and work them out of the opening in the gear lever

Then I clear the mess in there as every one I have done is full of corrosion and it squeezes the plastic bushes "9" against the pivot bolt making it tighter and tighter to move

Back
Top Bottom