R100RS rebuild and re-style thread.

As you’ve said,it’s not just a crack,the frame has snapped.
Never seen that before,not in that spot.
Feal sure you have investigated to a degree,but why do you think it’s broken like that?
I’ve seen headstocks bent with buckled plates,fracturing due to internal corrosion .
Think I’d chuck it in a skip.
No available s/h frames ?

It was a bit of a shock to find it, I can tell you - adding the leaking tank to it and i felt like throwing the lot in a skip. Not sure why the frame cracked, but it looks like a brittle fracture, not like it started with a crack and progressed. I guess its due to the RS fairing adding weight and forces into that area - the fairing main bracketry hangs around this area ...I would imagine at some point it had gone down the road - i found a 1" scar on the crashbar, but nothing on the fairings. I suppose a small force from the crash bars would put a side force into the down tube and then after more fatigue it just cracked through.

The gu doing the welding really knew what he was doing - welding a tin foil tank up with existing repairs is a fantastic job...the frame repair was very easy by comparison with a full pen fillet all round.

So withthe structural issues sorted out it was downhill from here. Obviosly with any build there is many hours of wiring issues and detail work that hasn't been mentioned.
All brake calipers stripped and re-sealed.
All brake lines were replaced with Venhill braided lines
Wiring loom removed and cleaned - new wiring added where needed etc.
Throttle grip on these is the gear and pinion type - this was well worn out so needed replacing.
New ptfe lined clutch cable fitted from an RT with the taller bars.
Carbs were stripped and polished with new seal kit put in them.
Wheels were removed and cleaned - brake discs removed and centres repainted .

The next big job was to modify the brand new expensive seat. I din't like the flat look so it got re-shaped.
At the same time I modified it to take the rear rack from the standard RS seat - which needed widening and manipulating to fit.
I welded metal strip and tapped it to suit mounting bolts and covered it with the foam.
The foam was smoothed out more than that pic shows.

Attachments

• seat1.jpg
    seat1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 224
  • seat3.jpg
    seat3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 226
I think the back end looks pretty good now - much nicer than this professionally built one that has an awkward look the the rear.

They haven't even modified the rear light to be higher and the seat is flat...meh.. ( image reversed for comparison :) )

Attachments

• scrambler.jpg
    scrambler.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 240
  • bmw10.jpg
    bmw10.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 222
My F650 frame cracked in a similar position, none of the local frame guys would touch it.
I don't always agree with Mikey but that frame is scrap and should never have been welded, and I did hang around pops smithy/welding shop for the best part of twenty years !

My F650 frame cracked in a similar position, none of the local frame guys would touch it.
I don't always agree with Mikey but that frame is scrap and should never have been welded, and I did hang around pops smithy/welding shop for the best part of twenty years !

I'd be interested in why you think the frame is scrap ?
Its not out of line, it pulled back together in a straight line.
The welder is qualified
Wheels are still in line.

i'm a qualified mechanic, toolmaker and engineer etc and i'm not worried about it.

Now the fairing and crash bars are off, any extra loads have been removed.

Just seen this, I’m watching. I think that Mike is thinking that there might be corrosion inside the frame?
:beerjug:

ok - so where have we got too.....

The fuel tank was stripped to bare metal.....then i thought - hold on, why bother painting it ?...so i spray varnished it with Wood Varnish...i kid you not.

I tested the varnish for fuel resistance first using some scrap metal - didn't want any reactions...obvs...and all was good. I didn't bother filling the little dents and even let a little surface rust stay - just for effect...turned out pretty good for zero outlay...it may get painted one day if i get bored.

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 174
Ever since i was a nipper on a moped, i'd always loved the sound of these silencers on British twins - we used to call the goldies, but the new name seems to be tulip end muffler or cocktail shakers..?...Anyway i found some on the web somewhere for a good price and ordered them up.
I ordered the straight ones, not the ones with angled inlets as the BMW headers have angled outlets to kick them up at a jaunty angle.

As mentioned before - the header pipes and connecting tubes were all staintune stainless steel, so with a bit of elbow grease they polished up nicely...the staintune silencers have been stored

Seeing as a BMW twin has the same firing order as a triumph, it sounds pretty similar...love it....

Attachments

• silencer.jpg
    silencer.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 276
The RS gaiters were split and decaying so i ordered genuine rubber BMW ones to look the part - new seals and oil of course.

The front mudgueard was trimmed to suit the new style and painted with silver wheel paint i think...looks ok. It won't be being used offroad or in the rain if i can help it so the oil cooler should be safe enough.
New Venhill brake lines and fork reflectors were removed.
The caliper was rebuilt and all big fasteners were wire wheeled and painted with silver wheel paint....I might get stainelss one day, but i doubt it...

Attachments

• forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 275
  • caliper.jpg
    caliper.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 271
The original ignition switch is housed in the left hand side headlamp mounting bolt....bearing in mind all the wiring is suited to this position it made sense to keep it in that vicinity.
I drilled the new headlight bracket very carefully and managed to fit it here..it would literally only fit in one place as the depth of the switch hits the headlight shell if too far forward and the bracket is much thicker at the back..

Attachments

• brkt.jpg
    brkt.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 204
I ordered a 7" stainless headlight grille from ebay that was supposed to be for a car....

Attachments

• grille.jpg
    grille.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 200
So here's the finished article - comments welcome - like or dislike etc.

I've tried to steer it towards a GS style rather than hipster - i think it looks pretty good, it rides very well, but its no autobahn stormer anymore and was never meant to be.

but where's the battery, i hear you say ?.....fear not - a photo will follow..;)

Attachments

• rhs1.jpg
    rhs1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 135
I’m no styleguru but I think the tank should be painted and don’t like the banana shaped seat. Otherwise not bad :D

There’s one comes past where I’m working at the moment which is similar with the tank painted dark blue and silver - looks good.i

I’m no styleguru but I think the tank should be painted and don’t like the banana shaped seat. Otherwise not bad :D

There’s one comes past where I’m working at the moment which is similar with the tank painted dark blue and silver - looks good.i

Its always an option....what colour though ?

Back
Top Bottom