Finland - Trucking a bike from the UK and back

Wapping

Reaction score
I lifted this post from another thread.

The fellow is coming to the UK from Finland. Sensibly, instead of riding all the way here and all the way back again, he’s having the bike etc transported by truck to North Weald (Epping, London).

It might help others thinking of doing the same thing.

Richard

The transportation company is Motologistica (http://motologistica.fi/), I couldn't find english pages...
They have terminals in Tampere and Epping, near North Weld. Or the terminal there is AMG North Weld. Very simple to deal with them, you just drop your bike and gears there and they'll do the rest. In Epping it might take little longer as one of the guys there has / had GSA too ;)

That's a good find Sir ,, wonder if there is any way of getting in contact o see if the web site has an English version. I very much like riding in Scandinavian parts in the summer but it's a looooong haul to get there .

That's a good find Sir ,, wonder if there is any way of getting in contact o see if the web site has an English version. I very much like riding in Scandinavian parts in the summer but it's a looooong haul to get there .

My laptop offers to convert it english,which it does very well..

The original thread, from which I cut the opening post, has the contact details of the UK based counterpart of the Finnish transport company. If I wanted to look into shipping my bike to Finland I’d start with them.

1b4384add814aec2c5d01b27e8982542.png

10ca81039749012928405d76cdac59c5.png

Good idea we were talking to a couple of Finish lads touring in the Summer , they were up on Hadrians Wall and heading back to get the ferry from Newcastle and reckoned that it would take them another 5 days to get back home about 300 miles north of Helsinki (over 2000 miles from Ijmuiden)

If you start the clock ticking from the moment you hit foreign shores (easy for me but not for all) you can be landing in Finland 2 days after leaving the UK so where 5 days comes from I’m not sure :nenau

I rode from the Hoek of Holland to Frederikshavn on day 1 then Frederikshavn to Gothenburg on the morning ferry, rode from Gothenburg to Kapellskar in the afternoon before hopping on the overnight ferry to just outside Turku landing at about 6am.

The weather was shite so I cancelled my dumb idea of visiting Imatra, jumped on a ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn and was checking into an apartment by 4pm. All that on a KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT which regardless of the GT tag isn’t the best touring bike known to man. I’d have been in Imatra by 1pm if I hadn’t changed my plans and was sitting in a bus shelter just outside Helsinki revising my plans at 10am so another 300 miles by tea time wouldn’t be stretching the limits too far.

Finland is a very big country. You could easily add two days from Turku (SW corner) if a bod lives in the NW corner.

Finland is a very big country. You could easily add two days from Turku (SW corner) if a bod lives in the NW corner.

I appreciate that and I know the roads are rubbish once you’re off the infrequent motorways but they get 23hrs 59mins of daylight in the summer so a little bit of effort could easily take a day off :rob

When we went to nordcapp in 2007 we travelled back via Finland to a rally near the Russian border. Then from Helsinki we used the 29 hour ferry back to travamund near Lübeck Germany. It only cost about £150.00 more than the channel tunnel crossings for the 3 of us sharing a cabin. That route probably knocked off about a 1,000 miles compared with travelling from tallin Estonia. Certainly worth thinking about as Lubeck is not too far from Holland.

Back
Top Bottom