2018 headlight bulbs

Apologises for my ignorance. i just wanted to confirm that some idiot at BuMW thought to build a bike were I couldn't replace a bulb rather than the whole unit. I find that hard to believe and to live with.
How do I upgrade to a Philips bulb when there is no way apart from a dremmel to access the bulbs housing ?

Have you considered upgrading to LED H7's?

I did this (Cyclops kit) and have never looked back.

:aidan

Andres

Have you considered upgrading to LED H7's?

I did this (Cyclops kit) and have never looked back.

Andres

That would be an option if OEM leds where not an option, but it's my humble opinion that the OEM LEDs on the GS offers the best available light for the GS.

On my 1300GT I changed the Hi beams to 2 x 50 Xenons, and the GS OEM LED offers as much light, and its reach is just as good.

Having dissed the OEM LED unit’s shortcomings ; I must add that it’s a fabulous lighting tool and way superior to halogen offerings . Does anyone remember BTBR who was a saviour of night vision in those horrendous halogen days ?

That would be an option if OEM leds where not an option, but it's my humble opinion that the OEM LEDs on the GS offers the best available light for the GS.

On my 1300GT I changed the Hi beams to 2 x 50 Xenons, and the GS OEM LED offers as much light, and its reach is just as good.

I was being ironic.................. ;)

Having dissed the OEM LED unit’s shortcomings ; I must add that it’s a fabulous lighting tool and way superior to halogen offerings . Does anyone remember BTBR who was a saviour of night vision in those horrendous halogen days ?

BTBR set up my old 1200GS, Hella fogs & spots on a Migsel light bar ~ seems proper old skool now :)

Andres

If (and eventually when ) the LED unit fails you will need to purchase a new one from your friendly dealer at £1000 plus and then pay them to fit it and code it to your vehicles ECU , makes a upgrade Philips bulb at £10 seem quite cheap

Or not ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1200-GS-LED-Headlight-internals-wiring-harness-loom-2013-to-2017/132745325206?fits=UKM_Make%3ABMW&hash=item1ee83cea96:g:49cAAOSwCH9bdDFy:rk:5:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=4

Cheap at half the price :D .

This is what you can look forward to when it fails :thumb

Attachments

• 20181019_201042 (1).jpg
    20181019_201042 (1).jpg
    244 KB · Views: 231
So what’s the fix time when the LED unit eventually fails? Are they a stock item? They are a very quick job for scrotes to steal; so can dealers offer a ride in- ride out service ?

So what’s the fix time when the LED unit eventually fails? Are they a stock item? They are a very quick job for scrotes to steal; so can dealers offer a ride in- ride out service ?

Typical lifespan for a LED is several thousand hours. For the average bike, 100 000 km = 2000 hrs.

Depends on your needs, but for most riders, the DRL will be on most of the time, and perhaps the low beam/high beam perhaps 10% of the time. Thus, we are talking lifetime for the LED assembly.

Heath kills the LEDs, and the DRL use less power than the hi/lo beams, thus less heath generated when DRL are on. Additionally there is a cooling fan when more cooling is required.
Thus, say you are driving in lots of dusty roads, and lots of slow speed driving combined with the hi/lo beam on, this will be a challenge for the cooling.

Also, this is a mass produced item, production fails may occure (then it will probably fail within the warranty periode).
And occasionally, shit may happen.
But for the majority, the LED will never fail, so don't worry….

Make sure you fit a couple of 10w led spot lights. At least this will get you home when on "holiday"

How many of us actually ride in the dark?....

I’ve yet to see an aftermarket LED bulb that is anywhere near a standard build, let alone the OEM LED fitted to the GS or indeed the Golf I have.

Back
Top Bottom