2018 headlight bulbs

Morph

Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking at my owners manual it shows covers to remove to change the bulbs, as on previous models. I dont see these, just 3 blanks. Is it a sealed unit, or do I need a special tool to remove them ?

Tony

:popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Just looking at my owners manual it shows covers to remove to change the bulbs, as on previous models. I dont see these, just 3 blanks. Is it a sealed unit, or do I need a special tool to remove them ?

Tony

Does your bike have LEDs?
In my manual i can only find descriptions for changing H7 bulbs, which is not relevant if you have LEDs.

OP, you can’t change the ‘bulbs’ on a TE, you bloody daftie! :comfort:D

If (and eventually when ) the LED unit fails you will need to purchase a new one from your friendly dealer at £1000 plus and then pay them to fit it and code it to your vehicles ECU , makes a upgrade Philips bulb at £10 seem quite cheap

Apologises for my ignorance. i just wanted to confirm that some idiot at BuMW thought to build a bike were I couldn't replace a bulb rather than the whole unit. I find that hard to believe and to live with.
How do I upgrade to a Philips bulb when there is no way apart from a dremmel to access the bulbs housing ?

Just use a hacksaw to cut the back off.
Be sure and video it for the benefit of others..

Apologises for my ignorance. i just wanted to confirm that some idiot at BuMW thought to build a bike were I couldn't replace a bulb rather than the whole unit. I find that hard to believe and to live with.
How do I upgrade to a Philips bulb when there is no way apart from a dremmel to access the bulbs housing ?

It is the reason why my new 2018 model was specced with conventional lights and not LED's , as a keeper I do not want a substantial bill a few years down the line for a failed LED unit , same as why after over £4000 of warranty ESA work on my last TE model in 35 months I went for a non ESA bike

Anyone (LIKE ME) wth LED lights is in deep sh*t when main lights fail and for sure they will one day . It’s not just the cost ; it’s the ‘ what do I do now ?’ problem if miles from home in the dark or on holiday .

What put me off was a dealer telling me they had replaced a couple of units within the 2 year warranty due to failure ,fine but once out of warranty it is a lot of cash to find to fix what is in most cases a toy.

Even a used unit runs at well over £500 and it will have to be coded by a dealer , looks like the Basic model 1250 will only be available with LED headlight

Anyone (LIKE ME) wth LED lights is in deep sh*t when main lights fail and for sure they will one day . It’s not just the cost ; it’s the ‘ what do I do now ?’ problem if miles from home in the dark or on holiday .

Are you intending on keeping your bike that long (like our parents did), I doubt it?!

Majority of us here likely to chop it in for a new model every 18-36 months.
So not a problem, unless you that much attached to it that you will keep it for the foreseeable future.
If you do, be ready to replace shock absorbers, swing-arm, possibly headstock bearings, fork seals and a general fork service.... the list can go on as long as orangoutangs arm and then some. All of which will be bloody expensive, because it has BMW badge :Rob

BMW offering 36 month warranty on all new bikes. This alone, makes one forget about potential issues, if like said before, one would change bikes within warranty timeframe. Which most of us do. :rob :comfort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what I don't and don't buy anything just incase it breaks at sometime in the future. I won't be happy until every business is shut down and I have to whittle everything from wood. :rob

The clue is to rebuild them to carbide lights. Much cheaper, and the light is just about as good when it's burned out, so no worries :aidan

Back
Top Bottom