Fed up of Spokes

Spokes are great, they're like legs ... they keep your arse off the ground, very handy things indeed :D

Fed up of cleaning them ... get a feckin' car then. They're part of the territory, comes with motorcycling, they're bloody great :thumb

I love my spokes :D

i-nnQcChW-L.jpg

:beerjug:

+1 Micky.
Something about spoked wheels that just finish off the ( look ).

Just like stockings. Lol.

Cheers Dave.

I will go with that, but chains however are shite, chain lube is shite, constant adjustment of chains is shite, in the days of abs, traction control, cornering lights, anti slip this that and the fecking other, all shite I DONT want why o why is there such a limited range of bikes with shaft drive !!!!

I don't go for all that shite either, but chains aint the PITA they used to be :D

+1 Micky.
Something about spoked wheels that just finish off the ( look ).

:thumb

As I read somewhere recently, chain maintenance is usually better for the maintainer than it is for the chain.

And what is this “cleaning” you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chain vs shaft:

Shaft drive has never given me any problems. When touring it's nice to have a bike where you only issue with the bike is to fill it up in the morning, come rain or shine.

A few kg's ago I used to drive a Norton Commando, and the chain was indeed a pain in the ,,,
However, O-ring chains was a game changer.
Even if shaft still ads to the attraction of the bike, it would not be a deal braker. On my F800GS, the first 10K of a new chain usually goes without any adjustments, my only maintenance is to spray it at the end of the day, and an occasional brush down. After 10K the chain requires adjustments. When the interval is down to weekly adjustment I replace the chain and sprockets. It's easy to do DIY and a chain-kit does not cost much.

Back to topic:
The F800 has spoked wheels. I had to realign the front wheel once, but I have never needed to readjust any spokes, ever. Same goes for my -75 boxer, spokes still as tight as new.

Spokes are ok, but a pain to wash, so I do a power washer..

If anyone wants to swap their spokes for some alloys let me know.

These bargain alloys have arrived. I wouldn't call them in 'mint' condition, but they are very good condition. So happy with that.

They've come with Michelin Pilot Road Trail tyres with a 2017 date stamp and very good tread depth, Front is almost new, rear 1/3 worn.

They have Tyre Pressure sensors included on both wheels, ABS reluctor ring and bolts.

I can't be arsed to swap discs over, so I've ordered a new set from Italy and new stainess mounting bolts. This means I can literally just swap over wheelsets as I like.

My EL-50448 device has arrived from China, so I can now reprogram the TPMS Sensors on new wheels.

I'll leave them painted grey for now as the paint is in very good condition.

So should be able to fit them shortly...

I'm wondering how noticeable the weight difference will be moving between alloy and spoked wheels?

Are alloys heavier than spoked wheels, I guess they are?

I'm wondering how noticeable the weight difference will be moving between alloy and spoked wheels?

Are alloys heavier than spoked wheels, I guess they are?

The spoked wheels are heavier than cast wheels.

Having had both GS and GSA and removed the back wheel for cleaning, the spoked wheels are a fair bit heavier (not a scientific test).

Well thats great news. Bonus :D

Some Pics of condition....

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 272
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 285
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 271
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 270
Couple more pics...

Attachments

• Pic 6.jpg
    Pic 6.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 279
  • Pic 7.jpg
    Pic 7.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Pic 8.jpg
    Pic 8.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Pic 9.jpg
    Pic 9.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Pic 10.jpg
    Pic 10.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 269
Looks like 'salt' corrosion in places which has pealed the paint. But I should be able to treat that myself and repaint it. Those parts are behind the disc rotors once they get bolted on so you cant easily see them anyways.

Overall, happy with the £580 price for the wheelset (I've seen single used wheels being advertised without tyres for £600).

Tyres alone must be worth £200 ??

Enough weight saved with alloys, to pack a few mars bars and curly wurlies...:D

I love curley wurlies, have I got bigger, or have they got smaller !!

Gimme spokes every time ... never ever had corrosion like that :eek:

... and they're soooo much stronger :D

Gimme spokes every time ... never ever had corrosion like that :eek:

... and they're soooo much stronger :D

Haha, I like my new Winter Wheels :D

Now my R1200 is lighter with its new Shift-Rim it'll thrash the new R1250 into Stick dust

Back
Top Bottom