Another new member

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a quick introduction, My name is Neil, age 57 and I currently live in South Africa and shall be returning back to the UK hopefully in the first half of next year. I work in the IT sector, develop software which is sold in 70 different countries. Hobbies are just about anything.

My current ride is a R1150GS will 100,000kms/62,000 miles on the clock. The bike is used everyday for commuting the crazy Johannesburg traffic. This year a bought a replacement speedo that has MPH, so I am in a position to bring my bike with me to the UK. Being in a dry climate my 2003 model is rust free :) . (Better spray it with lots of ACF 50)

I'll have to jump through a few hoops and probably lace a few palms (african way) to get all the export documentation together but it will be worth it.

I travel back to the UK twice a year, so I'll be home for xmas and looking to buy an R1200RT-P and I'll probably convert it back to civilian.

My youngest daughter(18) will be returning with me, but she'll stay in the UK and carry on with her education. My other daughter (19) will be off to Dubai early next year, teaching and photography.

I'd be interested to find out who is living around the High Wycombe area in Bucks.

Both of my daughters have ridden bikes or scooters.

I look forward to some good forum interaction and perhaps meet a few of you!.

Neil

2011 Toyota Fortuner II 4x4 - What I really needed
2003 BMW R1150GS - Daily Ride
1998 Honda CBR600F3 - Adrenaline Rush (sold to start funding R1200RT)
2013 Honda XR125 LEK - Daughters Commuter (for sale)
2014 Jonway Retro scooter - Other Daughters Commuter (sold)
2008 Kia Picanta - Daughers first car
Now looking for a BMW R1200RT-P or R1200RT in UK

Welcome. Have you seen an RTP for sale ? There was a business in Burton upon Trent selling ex forces stuff including bikes like RTPs, I’m sure someone on here did a piece on buying and converting a couple.

I'm watching a few on ebay. Probably aim for a 2008/2009 model, depends on when they strip the bike of the lights etc if they cut wires instead of unplugging them.

Doing the conversion from official to civilian should be is easy enough.

I'd aim to try and buy one in December, store it until I'm in the UK full time, but in the mean time look at breakers yards here for the parts I need. South Africa don't use a R1200RT-P they use the standard R1200RT and as most of the parts I'm looking for I to do with the rear tail and not so much plastics I might be able to pick them up cheap and pack them with my GS when it's shipped across.

Once I have both bikes in one place I can redo the bearings of my final drive on the GS and perhaps alternator bearings and it will be as good as new.

There are great places to ride in SA and the weather is awesome to do it in. There is a ride that takes place once a year from Johannesburg to Durban over 3 days....totally off road all the way. It's called Quads 4 Quads and the bikers join in too, or you can do the reverse trip.

Back
Top Bottom