Regatta Great Outdoors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exped Stockist

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
    We go to the lakes (fair trek) but they have them in the shops in Keswick.

Lovely place for a cup of tea as well.

I’ve 2x Exped mats and they are both great, best nights sleep I’ve ever had!
    I don't mind a trip (on the bike)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

THANK YOU for the helpful suggestion
    Shame about some snide people

Quote Originally Posted by stu1969 View Post
    THANK YOU for the helpful suggestion
    Shame about some snide people
    I wasn't trying to be snide in your direction - You made it clear that you wanted to compare them side by side.

But my point stands that for everything returned, someone else receives used goods.

For what it's worth I got an Exped Megamat from AllOutdoor, and a Downmat 7 LW from Ultralight Outdoor Gear.
    Both great to deal with, and have used both on many occasions.

But as with all top end camping gear, you just have to read reviews and buy blind as nothing is ever on display.

Rows of 80 quid tents set up to crawl around in at Go Outdoors, but spend a grand on a Hilleberg and shops are reluctant to get it out of the bag unless you're serious.

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    I wasn't trying to be snide in your direction - You made it clear that you wanted to compare them side by side.

But my point stands that for everything returned, someone else receives used goods.

For what it's worth I got an Exped Megamat from AllOutdoor, and a Downmat 7 LW from Ultralight Outdoor Gear.
    Both great to deal with, and have used both on many occasions.

But as with all top end camping gear, you just have to read reviews and buy blind as nothing is ever on display.

Rows of 80 quid tents set up to crawl around in at Go Outdoors, but spend a grand on a Hilleberg and shops are reluctant to get it out of the bag unless you're serious.
    Thank you for your comment.

Perhaps there are a people on here (with a bigger disposable income than me), that
    couldn't consider spending £200+ on anything based on somebody else's opinion and potentially wasting money. Personally, I can't.

Again, that's why I asked for stockest.

Copied from the link in post 8

If you can get to the North East of England and you want to handle the kit before you buy it then we offer our showroom, (open 10 till 4 Monday to Friday). Its not a shop and it's not really set up for browsing - but if you've seen something on the web and want to see it in the flesh - then come along. There's space to put tents up too.

Quote Originally Posted by stu1969 View Post
    Thank you for your comment.

Perhaps there are a people on here (with a bigger disposable income than me), that
    couldn't consider spending £200+ on anything based on somebody else's opinion and potentially wasting money. Personally, I can't.

Again, that's why I asked for stockest.
    Members on this site have complained of Exped becoming porous and deflating .. a shop won't own up to that!

I have 2 Expeds that have been fine, but also have a Thermarest that is double the age of both Exped's put together and is still mint.
    It still gets used in the chair kit, and I very much doubt an Exped could take the same level of abuse?

While trying in a shop is the best way without doubt, you don't necessarily get the best unbiased opinion or price from a salesman.

YouTube, forum and website reviews give me a very good idea of what to expect, and have always got what I expected and never returned anything.

I ordered a 3 man Hilleberg from Outside Cambridge and placed a 20% deposit. When I went to collect it we put it up in the shop and it was bigger than I expected, and did think I should have gone for the 2 man.

But in proper use filled with gear, and the extra 4" headroom, I realised I had made the right choice afterall.

All I will say with Exped is avoid the super light version, consider the extra width options, and if weight/packed size isn't an issue, the Megamat is a beast as comfy as your own bed.

Between me and wife we have had 4 Exped mats, 3 x down and 1 x Synmat. All in the 7" LW (long/Wide) spec. The first two down mats both lasted about 7 years each, which included several long trips so lots of packing and rammed into panniers, rolling up, inflating and deflating - say 400 to 500 times each over the 7 years. Both failed last year (in Norway of all the expensive places it could be), wife's went first with feathers clogging up the valves (an internal baffle gone? ) but got a good deal on the Lofoton Islands for a replacement, mine went about 2 weeks later when one of the seams that creates the long tubes burst. I managed after that sleeping on jackets and back protectors - surprisingly comfy. I got a synmat as Tamarack (who i recommended earlier) was doing a much better deal and said in all practicality for UK and most Euro camping it is just as good, and it is. In fact better as it packs easier and a bit smaller as well as being easier to inflate.

Anyway I will try and remember to pop into Tamarack and see what they have on display.

Oh, and if you do get one the wife says to buy one of the inflation bags as it makes it a whole load easier to inflate.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinW View Post
    Between me and wife we have had 4 Exped mats, 3 x down and 1 x Synmat. All in the 7" LW (long/Wide) spec. The first two down mats both lasted about 7 years each, which included several long trips so lots of packing and rammed into panniers, rolling up, inflating and deflating - say 400 to 500 times each over the 7 years. Both failed last year (in Norway of all the expensive places it could be), wife's went first with feathers clogging up the valves (an internal baffle gone? ) but got a good deal on the Lofoton Islands for a replacement, mine went about 2 weeks later when one of the seams that creates the long tubes burst. I managed after that sleeping on jackets and back protectors - surprisingly comfy. I got a synmat as Tamarack (who i recommended earlier) was doing a much better deal and said in all practicality for UK and most Euro camping it is just as good, and it is. In fact better as it packs easier and a bit smaller as well as being easier to inflate.

Anyway I will try and remember to pop into Tamarack and see what they have on display.

Oh, and if you do get one the wife says to buy one of the inflation bags as it makes it a whole load easier to inflate.
    Whereabouts on the Lofotens did you find the Exped ,if I might ask ?
    Normal ,in an odd sort of way

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Whereabouts on the Lofotens did you find the Exped ,if I might ask ?
    In Harstad - perhaps technically not on the Lofoton but on one of the islands in that region, Sport1 IIRC. They had a sale on with 20% off and I negotiated a further 10%. When the CC bill came through I think it was £170ish, so not that much more than the UK, but when needs must and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinW View Post
    In Harstad - perhaps technically not on the Lofoton but on one of the islands in that region, Sport1 IIRC. They had a sale on with 20% off and I negotiated a further 10%. When the CC bill came through I think it was £170ish, so not that much more than the UK, but when needs must and all that.
    Thanks for that Austin ,no doubt that the tent and the roll mat are 2 very key items for doing the stuff we do , most of the rest of it you can kinda " sort out "
    Normal ,in an odd sort of way

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    Members on this site have complained of Exped becoming porous and deflating .. a shop won't own up to that!

I have 2 Expeds that have been fine, but also have a Thermarest that is double the age of both Exped's put together and is still mint.
    It still gets used in the chair kit, and I very much doubt an Exped could take the same level of abuse?

While trying in a shop is the best way without doubt, you don't necessarily get the best unbiased opinion or price from a salesman.

YouTube, forum and website reviews give me a very good idea of what to expect, and have always got what I expected and never returned anything.

I ordered a 3 man Hilleberg from Outside Cambridge and placed a 20% deposit. When I went to collect it we put it up in the shop and it was bigger than I expected, and did think I should have gone for the 2 man.

But in proper use filled with gear, and the extra 4" headroom, I realised I had made the right choice afterall.

All I will say with Exped is avoid the super light version, consider the extra width options, and if weight/packed size isn't an issue, the Megamat is a beast as comfy as your own bed.
    Had my thermarest years; and it's never let me down dispite some severe use. Old but gold springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by snelly View Post
    Had my thermarest years; and it's never let me down dispite some severe use. Old but gold springs to mind.
    I've got a thermarest mat at the moment, I've had it for 6 or 7 years without complaint. My only comment is that it sounds like I'm sleeping on corn flakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12