Young drivers insurance

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
My girlfriends daughter is taking her test in a few weeks (god help us) and in his infinite wisdom her father has just bought her a car. No thought to to insurance tax etc and the thing is a bit of a nail but thats a whole other story and now he's fecked off back to Spain.

Not a real problem but she is struggling to get insurance cover. Her old man told her she wouldn't need it until she passed her test but it's parked on the road so needs cover fast.

She thought she could get insurance but everyone she has tried has said no because she hasn't passed her test.

Her mum has a company car so so she doesn't have private insurance so that's out. Any ideas on how she could do it?

Insure in her mother’s name with the daughter as the main driver, try Admiral, they were really good for both my daughters.

Insure 3rd party, so it is legal.

Provisional marmalade, or similar do cover for provisional drivers (fully comp) as a stand alone policy. They are only covered whilst a learner, you can buy weekly/monthly/three months.

If they do have an accident, you don't lose any ncb as the other policy pays out.

Co-op used to be good for young drivers.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Plenty of places will cover learner drivers quite cheaply as they have to be accompanied. Its when they pass their test it gets eye watering

Black box was the only way to go when my lad passed his test

No one specific as they are all the same just avoid the ones that have curfew attached

Problem is, she hasn't passed her test so learners insurance is no good. Also, most companies won't insure her in her own car as she has a provisional licence.

Her mum doesn't really want to get too involved so having her as the main driver really isn't an option.

She is a learner if she hasn't passed her test. When she passes her test, she'll be a qualified driver or the new thing is a probationer. (P plates)

She is a learner if she hasn't passed her test. When she passes her test, she'll be a qualified driver or the new thing is a probationer. (P plates)

Yep but learners insurance is an add on to someone else insurance. She needs to insure it with a stand alone policy.

Park it in a friendly neighbours drive for a few weeks.

Why. Can't mother insure it with her as main driver?

Alternative, sell car until she can afford it. I never had a car until I was 30. (had a bike though :) )

Or, get her father to insure it ?

There will be someone who will insure it for semi-sensible money.

This is where a decent broker earns their commission.

Her mum "could" insure it, most insurers will give an introductory bonus to business insured. My brother got 6 years introductory bonus, as he had been on health board policy for 20+ years.

Why. Can't mother insure it with her as main driver?

Don't ask and I'll just say mothers and daughters.........:eek:

I suggested her Dad gets the car when she passes her test but he's a complete dick, dodgy as fuck and thinks normal rules don't apply to him.

Or, get her father to insure it ?

That's hopefully what will happen but as he's dodgy as fuck and lives in Spain, he'll try and blag his way through it.

I'm just preparing to pick up the pieces...........

Other people's families seem so normal, compared to your own

Anything for a quiet life.

Put it off road, cheaper to bung someone drinking money, and sorn it.

Has she tried the comparison websites? Adding her mom as a named driver would reduce the premium and in my experience getting insurance for a learner wasn't a problem for my daughter though that was adding her to my car, BUT when she did pass her test the premium went up sharpish as she was then more of a risk (because they could then drive unsupervised). My experience was different to above with admiral when she became the main driver as she had to take a policy out in her own name, even though it was my car so good luck with negotiating the minefield!

Last edited:
Yep but learners insurance is an add on to someone else insurance. She needs to insure it with a stand alone policy.

I don't think so. My son had is own insurance when he was learning at 17. His car, his insurance policy. about 2 years ago, sorry I can't remember the name, but it certainly was available

Problem is that cars are plentiful and cheap.
I have never subscribed to mommy or daddy buying their offspring a car.

If youngsters had to save for a car they might drive it a bit more carefully. If they cannot afford a car, can they really afford the insurance or other running costs.

A better solution is for parents to pay for 12 months fully comp insurance rather than pay for a car. At least this gives the young person time to save for next year's insurance.

Finally the roads are clogged up enough. This is down to almost every kid driving at a young age. Raise the driving age to 21...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Problem is that cars are plentiful and cheap.
I have never subscribed to mommy or daddy buying their offspring a car.

If youngsters had to save for a car they might drive it a bit more carefully. If they cannot afford a car, can they really afford the insurance or other running costs.

A better solution is for parents to pay for 12 months fully comp insurance rather than pay for a car. At least this gives the young person time to save for next year's insurance.

Finally the roads are clogged up enough. This is down to almost every kid driving at a young age. Raise the driving age to 21...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
But what do you really think ???

What about those of us who don't live within SE Enngeerlandshiresville

It's easy for a learner driver to get insurance for their own car: https://www.insurelearnerdriver.co.uk/learner-insurance-to-practice-in-your-own-car/

This is just one example, I insured my daughters car in her name and she is still on L plates so she can build no claims and be responsible for her own car prior to being able to drive it on her own. Just remember as soon as they pass their test this is void, and is no longer valid, they then have to get "real insurance" for driving without supervision.

Or you could sell the car till it's actually needed :blast

James

Insurance is available to learner drivers as a stand alone policy. (Our daughter had it on her Corsa).
We got the cost down by adding her mother and I as named drivers on her policy.
You will need to change the policy once she has passed her test, which will make it go up in price........ Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom