KTM Adventure - How is the quality?

vaclove

Reaction score
After 10 years with F800GS, I am about to upgrade to something bigger. Initially, my obvious choice was the 1200GS, until I got upset with my local BMW dealer and test rode the 1090/1290 KTMs which I liked. As the BMW was the only bike I got so far and was very happy with it, I am used to the way how thinks are done at BMW and tend to compare.

Initially, when I looked at the KTMs, I was not really sure how is the bike in the long term. For example some parts of bodywork seemed bit cheap and easy to scratch and the stickers were coming off even at new bikes in the showroom. These cosmetic things are not the crucial, for function of the bike, but if the bike has a poor finish, how about the other components you can't see. Are they build to last? As a layman, I would like to know what the experienced people here have to say.
When I have rented a 1090R for a day, at one point during a 200 miles trip, it gave me unspecified error message and did not start. While after restarting the bike things were fine, thing like this did not happen to my BM in 10 years.
My intention is to keep the bike for a while and do some long distance trips on it. Therefore, I would like to know from the experienced KTM owners of this parish, how is their long term experience with the big KTM bikes. Given a proper care, will they last for 10 years and do 50k miles without rusting away?

BMW offer an extended Warranty but KTM do not. I think that says a lot. :rob

I’ve owned over 10 GS’s over the years, and bought my first KTM in April last year. 12k miles later, and the bike hasn’t had one issue, still looks like new, and puts a grin on my face that no GS ever did.

The build/ paint quality is leagues ahead of BMW. Unless BMW has performed a miracle on the 1250, and learnt how to paint it properly, I can’t see myself returning. I’m hoping to change bikes next year, and am 99.9% sure I’ll be staying orange, however, I’ll test a few other bikes over the winter just to be sure. ;)

Given proper care, will they last for 10 years and do 50k miles without rusting away?

Hi, I think the last line of your post covers most of your concerns.
There's plenty of older 950/990's out there that are still going strong and looking good. In my experience the build quality of the newer adventure KTM models are just as good if not better than the 9**'s (and definitely as good/better than BMW's latest offerings) so as long as you give them a bit of care there's no reason why they won't stand the test of time.

Would recommend that you have a look at adv rider KTM forum if you have not already done so as you will get a better feel for what they are like by just reading through the whole range of feedback available on there. :thumb2

If you were happy with how the hire bike was for you in terms of the riding dynamic I'd say don't worry about getting at least the ten years 50k out of the KTM. :beerjug:

KTM 1190

Just sold my 1190. 5 years old, 4 years being ridden day in, day out, all year round, 53000 miles. Just clean and ACF50 regularly. 1090’s don’t have laquer over the stickers, which is why you may have seen them lifting, though they shouldn’t. 11/1290’s are fully laquered.

Attachments

• D404DDE0-4847-4AC8-8E9A-FD2E154CEADC.jpg
    D404DDE0-4847-4AC8-8E9A-FD2E154CEADC.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 867
  • 98C33F88-AEDD-49A5-8A23-146AFF31673A.jpg
    98C33F88-AEDD-49A5-8A23-146AFF31673A.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 879
My (admittedly very young) 1290 S is holding up very well indeed.

It's done close to 11K miles in just under 2 years and the only way you could tell that is by looking at the ODO (it still looks like new).

By comparison my last GS had to have a new engine cover and a new shaft drive (both due to corrosion / paint bubbles) at the same age and mileage.

I'm changing my Super Adventure soon, and it will almost certainly be for another KTM.

Had 4 KTM's over the years most recently an 1190 Adventure and now a 1290 SAS.

My last 1190 was nearly 2 years old when I part exed it and cleaned up like new ;)

Build quality IMO is better than BMW and so far no significant issues :thumb

I've been through the following road KTM's 950 Adv, 990 SMT, 1190 Adv, 1290 GT and current 1290S which is on 13,000 miles.

They've all looked mint. Annual deep clean and ACF50 works wonders for the finish. As for general reliability I've been very pleased. The odd minor issue, but a good dealer (Colwyn Bay KTM) have always sorted these out.

My mechanic mate works on all makes of bikes and is impressed with the build quality of the KTM's.

I've done 30,000+ miles on my 690 and ridden it half way round the world through some pretty rough shit and the only real issue was a hole in the radiator which could have happened to any bike.

I'm very happy with KTM's quality.

The pics of Akulaking's and Outtomunch's 1190 are very impressive for the condition and mileage.

31k on my 2015 1190 and have had no problems (that weren't caused by the shoddy dealer) apart from a random error message about TC and ABS faulty, cured by turning off and on again.

Uses no oil, tyre wear pretty good considering the grunt it has and no paint has rubbed off the frame where the insides of your boots rub.

You look at some 2 year old bikes with less miles and that area looks shocking.

My 1190 is coming up 3 years old with over 16k on the clock and looks like new, but it does get looked after well with regular ACF and is not used in the worst of winter, however I still reckon it is a cut above average with regard to finish and build quality.

I have to admit the 1090 paintwork does look a bit more of a budget affair, the chassis is the same so no problem there, but the paint seemed a bit thin and lacked the lacquer of the 1190 and side-by-side (as they always are in my garage) you could spot the difference - but what do you expect for a bike now sold at V-Strom money?

Just hoping the 1190 does not show up the 1290 when it joins the stable!

The wise have spoken.

Many thanks to everybody for the comprehensive responses, nice pictures and sharing your knowledge. I start to understand better what the KTM is about and definitely have more confidence in going orange.

Will visit the dealer at the weekend to see if he still has some of the SARs.

Rode 1200 GS's for 110,000 miles, 1*90 R's for 49,000 so far.

Don't like to tempt fate, but virtually zero problems with the orange ones, very many with BMW, which IMHO are a triumph of marketing over substance.

I know a guy who used to hire out GS 1200 and 800's in southern Chile. He had a lot more issues with the 800's which he says were 'built to a budget'.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

All bikes are built to a budget.....my ‘09, bought new, F800GS has just turned 1000,000 this week.
Three breakdowns, 2 non charging/flat battery stator burnt out and 1 EWS ring failure.
No final drive issues like 1200’s of a similar age though :D

A million miles........Jaysus, fair play to you

Sent from a U11

Whoops, I don’t like riding that much. I meant 100,000 of course. Hopefully a few more to go....

my 2013 1190 adv lives outside, I got it professionally cleaned this autumn and it scrubbed up like new. No issues and no dramas.

Retire next year so might change but really don't need to.

I must say, based on my very limited experience of a test ride on the 1090, it’s a much nicer bike to ride than a 1200GS. I agree with comments on build quality, particulatly paint quality - my overall impression was that it was superior to the Beemer for both paint and plastics, and had a bulletproof feel, plus the engine is far more exciting and engaging. I didn’t get it in the end as the dealer is more than 2 hours away and my local dealer is useless, and I wanted a shaft drive bike. If I do buy a new bike next year, I’m leaning towards a KTM, either 1090 or 1290, but I have no need of the extra grunt. The only caveat is to make sure you get a stocking deal on the price, they depreciate quite quickly and given I’ve had Premier Black Friday deals for a new 1090 for £8999 and a 1290s for £11995, I’d be gutted to have paid full price!

Back
Top Bottom