KTM Adventure - How is the quality?

I think there are quite a few 1090s still around, if you want a 1290 you might need to be a bit quicker.

And of course nobody needs the extra grunt, my old 650 V-Strom had "enough" grunt, but the 1090 put a bigger smile on my face, and the 1190 had me chuckling, the 1290 sends me into hysterical fits....

...and for £12k with TFT Screen, Semi Active Suspension, Cruise Control, Lean Sensitive ABS etc it is about £5k less than an equivalent GS, OK it lacks shaft drive, but seeing as it weighs less and chucks out 25BHP more than the latest 1250 I think anyone buying a beemer right now is off their rocker!

Yes, for £12K brand new the 1290S is a fantastic deal. I’ve not ridden one and it may wipe the floor with the 1090 but I really did like it when I rode it and for £9K new there’s not a bike made to touch it at that price point - even a basic F850GS is a couple of grand more...

Yes, for £12K brand new the 1290S is a fantastic deal. I’ve not ridden one and it may wipe the floor with the 1090 but I really did like it when I rode it and for £9K new there’s not a bike made to touch it at that price point - even a basic F850GS is a couple of grand more...

Grab a bargain while you can :thumb2

The only thing that lets the 1090 down a bit is the cheap paintwork on the plastics, the 1190 / 1290 paintwork is amazingly good, the 1090 has a very basic look and feel to it and seems to mark quite easily.

Once you get past that the rest seemed as well made as the more expensive models, ignore the lack of suspension adjustment the forks worked better than the 1190's do in any mode and the rear shock is pretty good as well.

The lack of gadgets = a lack of (expensive) things to go wrong.

The lower state of tune / lower redline combined with a bottom end proven to handle far more power means it should be pretty reliable.

As a solo sporty adventure tourer it is extremely good, just add the power socket, centre stand, ergo seats and your preferred luggage and spend the savings on fuel and tyres - and make sure you do not ride the 1290!

Just wanted to say thank you for all the post here. It was very helpful. Long story short - old BMW gone and I went orange.

Decided to go for 1090R, felt that the extras of 1290R such as the keyless and TFT were worth the extra money not for me. The extra power and and quickshifter were tempting though. Anyway, lets see how I get on with this bike first.

Can any of you guys comment on:
1. The Touratech Zega top case versus the plastic KTM one?
2. Any decent tankbag?

Many thanks

Vaclav

1. I have the TT one. It leaks sometimes, but I wouldn't be seen dead with the plastic one.

2. I have the KTM PP and am very happy with it.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the post here. It was very helpful. Long story short - old BMW gone and I went orange.

Decided to go for 1090R, felt that the extras of 1290R such as the keyless and TFT were worth the extra money not for me. The extra power and and quickshifter were tempting though. Anyway, lets see how I get on with this bike first.

Can any of you guys comment on:
1. The Touratech Zega top case versus the plastic KTM one?
2. Any decent tankbag?

Many thanks

Vaclav

1. I have the Touratech top box in black....mine doesn't leak (so far)
2. I have the SW Motech engage tank bag & tank ring....all good so far

Back
Top Bottom