Bargain 1290 Super Adventure S at Premier bikes

Key things are wheel and tyre size, and suspension. You can fit the S screen to the R if you want more protection, and of course the comfort seat fit as well - and they are very comfy.

What did it for me was the conventional suspension, which I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Key things are wheel and tyre size, and suspension. You can fit the S screen to the R if you want more protection, and of course the comfort seat fit as well - and they are very comfy.

What did it for me was the conventional suspension, which I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But more people fit the R screen to the S as it’s much better .

...........and most importantly, IMHO and backed up by others that have tried the R & S (including published road tests) the R just seems to work better than the S as a road bike/complete package.

That's not to say the S is crap, it not. Not at all. It's just that the R is better :hippy

Andres

...........and most importantly, IMHO and backed up by others that have tried the R & S (including published road tests) the R just seems to work better than the S as a road bike/complete package.

That's not to say the S is crap, it not. Not at all. It's just that the R is better :hippy

Andres

Yup,totally agree.

The S is for fashion victims like Nutty.The R is a much better road bike. That’s why I sold mine.

Andres

..................you still peddling that old line :p

So good that Giles changed to an S and having tested both it looks like Rasher has changed his order from an R to an S ;)

Most folk who end up changing screens end up with the Givi as it's better than both the standard screens ;)

So good that Giles changed to an S and having tested both it looks like Rasher has changed his order from an R to an S ;)

I don't know Rasher so can't comment. I do know Giles however, trust me, he knows nothing about bikes. His knowledge of and ability on a bike is akin to his knowledge of and ability with a camera :D

Andres

Most folk who end up changing screens end up with the Givi as it's better than both the standard screens ;)

Yeah but you can’t make such a sweeping statement as screens are subjective depending on the rider’s height .
At 6’1" I always prefer a small screen which puts clean air over the upper torso,as opposed to a tall screen which just buffets.

Yeah but you can’t make such a sweeping statement as screens are subjective depending on the rider’s height .
At 6’1" I always prefer a small screen which puts clean air over the upper torso,as opposed to a tall screen which just buffets.

Try and spot the irony of your two statements :aidan

Andres

R don't agree

Yup,totally agree.

The S is for fashion victims like Nutty.The R is a much better road bike. That’s why I sold mine.

Bollocks! I took the R out and compared to the S, the handling was nowhere near as precise. I did take it down some fire tracks and it was better on those, but on the road, the S has it licked. ;)

Bollocks! I took the R out and compared to the S, the handling was nowhere near as precise. I did take it down some fire tracks and it was better on those, but on the road, the S has it licked. ;)

I agree completely

Can't say about the 1290 as I've never ridden one, but having owned both flavours of 1190, I can say that the R is much more precise on the road. At least at sensible speeds anyhow.

I can only imagine that Rasher's probably had his R order cancelled by KTM on the grounds he's not badass enough :D

I don't know Rasher so can't comment. I do know Giles however, trust me, he knows nothing about bikes. His knowledge of and ability on a bike is akin to his knowledge of and ability with a camera :D

Andres

I know what I like and what I don't like.

I could not split the R and S, prefer conventional suspension to the Semi Active guff, especially as the R comes with a pukka PDS shock with remote reservoir compared to a 1970s style emulsion shock on the S.

Even if the electronics do help, they are helping a cheapo low quality shock perform better rather than enhancing a top quality shock. I assume the R unit is fully rebuildable as well as fully adjustable rather than having 3 settings that the KTM test rider liked....

...having switched my order to an S I am rather hoping I do agree with said KTM test rider!

I have no idea why KTM do not just give the option to alter the 3 standard modes, maybe giving the ability to move each setting up or down a notch or two, and in the case of Semi-active adjust the level of electronic interference in each mode as well, all it would take is a few lines of computer code!

I was going to get the smaller S sized wheels for the R - and two weeks ago this was still going to work out over £500 cheaper than an S model with the second set of wheels, but with another grand off the S model overnight due to the wonders of KTM stock / production / pricing control its all change and the S is now about £400 cheaper even with the crash bars added.

Both are fantastic bikes, in a way I was very curious about the R and I am sure I would of loved having it, but during demo rides I could not really separate them "as configured" but if anything the S nudged it on the road - mainly due to the smaller wheels giving me more feel and confidence (and it might well all be in my head)

I am sure I will get used to the weirdness of the suspension, but on the Demo rides I preferred Sports mode as it "felt right", but the way the S does not dive up front or pitch at the back during braking and acceleration is impressive, I just think it lacks the comfort over bumps I got with both my 1090 and 1190, as a sporty-tourer it is pretty awesome, and I think the Semi Active stuff would give a big advantage when two-up.

Even better is I prefer this years colours to next - and there is going to be a price rise for next year so the discount is even bigger if you compare to a 2019 bike.

Back
Top Bottom