New hard drive, and a virus.

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a solid state hard drive 500B fitted a couple of days ago, and today had a series of warning pop ups on the screen saying...

1.Your Windows System is damaged. Windows Version 10. Windows Security has detected that the system is corrupted and outdated. All system files will be deleted after 242 seconds. Important: Click on the Update button to install latest software to scan and prevent your files from being deleted.

2.This site says... Wait! Windows Firewall has detected that you have not updated your Windows System. It remains damaged and vulnerable *Do not leave this page until you have updated your software

3.Windows Firewall has detected that your Windows 10 is damaged and irrelevant. As a result your system files are automatically deleted Please follow the instructions to fix the problem immediately.

Well, by now the promised 242 seconds have long gone and the computer is still working, so what the fuck's going on here then?

A lot of programs like Office for instance have gone and I'm wondering if the Firewall has gone as well. I'll be taking it back to the guy that fitted the new hard drive on Monday, but can someone tell me what I can do in the meantime? How can I check if there is still some sort of firewall, can I install another one myself?

EDIT:I'm sure it doesn't really matter but I should have written that it was a 500GB drive that was fitted. By the way, I went into Windows Defender Security Center: Security at a Glance, it shows a tick against both "Firewall Protection" and "Device Security". I hope that it means that I do have against nasties.

Sounds like malware to me. If its a new install of windows I'd be speaking to the bloke who installed it asking wtf is going on...

You have picked up malware from someplace directing you to a fake Web page that is full of crap. Do a full virus scan or go get malwarebytes and run that. Usually this stuff isn't very serious, it's just a browser hijack. Are you sure the programs were there after the upgrade? Go looking in the program folders in case it is just the shortcuts missing.

Who installed the drive and are you programs legitimate licenses. Did you click any options during the warnings?

Additional do you have back ups of your operating system and personal files?

Yup, the free version of malwarebytes will find and sort anything that shouldn't be there.

D.

As has already been said this definitely sounds like some crappy sort of malware infection.

Malwarebytes Anti Malware should almost certainly get rid of it.
If not, another good one I use is HitmanPro Malware Removal: https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.aspx
Just download the free version, no need to pay for it.

Between Malwarebytes and HitmanPro, most infections should get cleared right up :thumb

Back
Top Bottom