1290 S A S 2018

Edmund Kean

Reaction score
Very tempted to buy one blind as I just haven’t got the time to test ride one at the moment and don’t want to miss a deal.

I’ve had a few GSA’s and RT’s over the years. I’ve enjoyed them all but the older twin cam bikes (2011-2013) being more reliable.

So what have been the stand out things which have impressed you and made you proud to be a 1290 owner. And what pisses you off. Above all, I’m hoping to hear the motor is more refined.

Thanks

I switched from a 2008 GS to a Yamaha Super Tenere to the 1190 Adventure.

The 1190 was a lot more powerful than the 2 previous bikes, noticeably lighter, better handling and as comfy (once the stock seats were swapped for the PowerParts ones) and after 3 summers, 7 European trips, weekends away in the UK and a bit of local pottering about it looks as good as new.

I have just ordered a 1290S - the engine is a smoother than the 1190 - but I found the 1190 to be smoother than my old GS - but not as smooth as the WC GS, I think the new 1290 engine is still a shade lumpier than the latest 1200GS - but it revs much higher and produces far more power so this is to be expected IMO.

In the real word it just means you might find you need 5th to cruise at below 50mph, but riding at stupidly low revs in a high gear is a bad idea anyway, regardless of how smooth the engine is.

In every other way it beats the GS (IMO of course) with the semi active suspension the front end does not dive much more than the GS tele-lever, it will potter around as easily as a GS, yet if the mood takes you it will easily chase sports bikes down twisty roads or embarrass supercars away from the lights.

The 9k service intervals are also great if you do tend to clock up decent mileages and the dealer labour rates are probably a lot less - my KTM dealer is £25 an hour less than my BMW dealer was 6 years ago, so might be a bigger gap now,

Basically make sure you get a deal on the Ergo seats when ordering the bike and you will never look back :thumb2

Basically make sure you get a deal on the Ergo seats when ordering the bike and you will never look back :thumb2

Or buy seats today from premier bikes online and without having to barter over price, you’ll save 20% straight away. I don’t think nobody got a better deal on power parts than maximum discount of -20%

Ps. I am in same position as you, currently on my second WC GSA. it is a great bike but I just fancy a change, latest 1250 range just not exciting enough to justify £5-£6k change over.

I am looking to place an order on a 1290 SAS By the end of next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was also looking at the 1290S, having recently sold my 1290GT, but also tried the 1200 and 1250GS and have decided on a 2017 1200 GS TE, my first WC version too, time will tell if I made the right decision!

I was also looking at the 1290S, having recently sold my 1290GT, but also tried the 1200 and 1250GS and have decided on a 2017 1200 GS TE, my first WC version too, time will tell if I made the right decision!

So would a test ride, but you may want to avoid testing a 1290 now.

If you do get on one a 1290 make sure you have the BMW blinkers attached and keep repeating to yourself over and over "BMW is the ultimate driving machine and the GS is unstoppable" - that might just do the trick, unless you actually start the 1290 engine and ride off :blast in which case all bets are off.

My 1190 seemed to be light years ahead of the 2018 GS1200 in almost every respect, the 1290 is in another league altogether.

I've had a raft of GS's and still own a 2013 WC alongside my 2017 SAS that I did 8K miles on in the last 12 months.

Stand out feature on the SAS is the engine, dynamic handling and compared to previous KTM's I've owned how civilised they've become. It's a very visceral and involving ride that communicates everything to you compared to the GS which is still fast of course but always feels relaxed. SAS is a bike to potter, knob around around or as noted chase down whatever you fancy.

What pisses me off is the seat height, buffeting and lack of extended warranty in the UK. The GS nailed the screen/buffeting when the GS WC was introduced. I'm 5'8" and even my dealer said he couldn't ride it because of the buffeting and he's the same height as me. I thought I could cure it with after market screens and though it's better it's not a patch on the GS. Oh, and having to bugger about with a chain again. Talking to the KTM guys are the NEC it sounds like they are making way on finally getting extended warranty options available in the UK.

Couple of small niggles that are far from deal breakers though extended warranty really should be available now.

Stonking bike.

I've had a raft of GS's and still own a 2013 WC alongside my 2017 SAS that I did 8K miles on in the last 12 months.

Stand out feature on the SAS is the engine, dynamic handling and compared to previous KTM's I've owned how civilised they've become. It's a very visceral and involving ride that communicates everything to you compared to the GS which is still fast of course but always feels relaxed. SAS is a bike to potter, knob around around or as noted chase down whatever you fancy.

What pisses me off is the seat height, buffeting and lack of extended warranty in the UK. The GS nailed the screen/buffeting when the GS WC was introduced. I'm 5'8" and even my dealer said he couldn't ride it because of the buffeting and he's the same height as me. I thought I could cure it with after market screens and though it's better it's not a patch on the GS. Oh, and having to bugger about with a chain again. Talking to the KTM guys are the NEC it sounds like they are making way on finally getting extended warranty options available in the UK.

Couple of small niggles that are far from deal breakers though extended warranty really should be available now.

Stonking bike.

Spot on with all of that.

You should get a Hilltop map. Ergo seats. Chain oiler. Job done.

1290 engine is enough to convince anyone who has ever ridden a bike - it is IMMENSE!!!

Very tempted to buy one blind as I just haven’t got the time to test ride one at the moment and don’t want to miss a deal.

I’ve had a few GSA’s and RT’s over the years. I’ve enjoyed them all but the older twin cam bikes (2011-2013) being more reliable.

So what have been the stand out things which have impressed you and made you proud to be a 1290 owner. And what pisses you off. Above all, I’m hoping to hear the motor is more refined.

Thanks

My 1290 is a week old today. It is horribly uncomfortable two up (in my case at least) wife uncomfortable due to pillion pegs (“tucked under” she saying) in the wrong place, and because of that as a rider, I am uncomfortable because her knees gripping my waist so tight I feel I need to sit on top of the tank.

GS/ GSA is a far better bike for two up riding.
My wife is a rider (owns R9T pure) but as she said, sometimes she just likes to be a pillion, she will have to forget about that past time unless we both accept the discomfort.

I feel I have to work gearbox far more than I did on GSA too. Slightly low speed relative to the gear you in at the time and there is a tremendous amount of shudder forcing you (due to discomfort) to down shift pickup the speed and upshift a few seconds later. GSA would just pull you out the situation with its torque.

Fitting tank bag from GIVI range is impossible. I personally do not like the fitting fiddle, materials and looks of SW-MOTECH bags. Givi bags are fairly tough in water resistance and speaking to a fella who sells both, said that Givi is far better system overall compared to SE-MOTECH . So far I haven’t found an alternative that wouldn’t clash with my handlebars.
HEPL PLEASE.

Engine, quickshifter are fantastic and looks of the bike are growing on me, but I can’t help but think that I may have bought a bike that I won’t be keeping. Time will tell, perhaps it is simply getting used to it period that I need to get out the way.

Check chain tension. Already suggested HT map which allows you to ride slowly in the wrong gear with massively less vibes.

My wife isn't as comfortable on the 1290 as on the old GSA. Not the ergo seat, thats great. But the pillion Pegs are a bit higher and knees tucked up more as you've found. My wife is little too. 2 hours and she gets knee pain but also on the GSA aswell. There are footpeg lowering kits available but only drops the peg 25mm I think.

"The bike will grow on you." That's what peeps told me. They were bang on. Such a great bike. Exciting, engaging, playful. The GSA was a great bike too, but the orange bike was what left the garage every time. After a few months I rode the GSA and found it soft, less comfortable by some margin and a bit dull. So I sold it. The new 1250 is better but the ride isn't as plush as the 1290S which was a real surprise!

GS/ GSA is a far better bike for two up riding.....

I feel I have to work gearbox far more than I did on GSA too. Slightly low speed relative to the gear you in at the time and there is a tremendous amount of shudder forcing you (due to discomfort) to down shift pickup the speed and upshift a few seconds later. GSA would just pull you out the situation with its torque.

Engine, quickshifter are fantastic and looks of the bike are growing on me, but I can’t help but think that I may have bought a bike that I won’t be keeping. Time will tell, perhaps it is simply getting used to it period that I need to get out the way.

Agree fully on two-up, the GS was by far the best two-up bike I owned, I don't think KTM even consider this part of the equation during designing the KTM, my Mrs now uses her own bike (or steals one of mine!) all the time, but on a recent trip with a friend his passenger got of his GS and onto my KTM and confirmed the GS is WAY better from the back seat. I am sure if KTM could be bothered it would be easy to make the pillion seat a bit more comfy and improve ergonomics - and possibly pick up some sales.

As for swapping gears, I suspect you have been riding your GS like my 75 year old mother drives her car, shifting up the box to be in top by 30mph, the GS does let you ride it like my Mum drives her car, it is very smooth low down, and the GSA (IIRC) also has a slightly larger flywheel than a stock GS.

The GS does not "pull you out the situation with its torque" in fact probably the opposite, the KTM has far more torque across the rev range, and responds on a whiff of throttle, this means it will shudder and judder if you open it up at too low revs, the GS by virtue of having much less torque therefore exhibits less vibration when being ridden in this manner.

Regardless of bike you should always be in a responsive gear - whereby not only should opening the throttle result in acceleration, closing it should also result in some engine braking, you are probably just pootling along at revs that are way too low.

My 1190 does not smooth out until around 3.5k - 4,000rpm in higher gears, a huge handful at 3k will result in forward drive - with some vibes, from the test rides I think the 1290 is a fair bit smoother, but asking for all that torque at low revs in a high gear will result in you feeling them huge pistons working.

So either ride it properly, or go back to a GS if you want to drive around like an old woman.

Agree fully on two-up, the GS was by far the best two-up bike I owned, I don't think KTM even consider this part of the equation during designing the KTM, my Mrs now uses her own bike (or steals one of mine!) all the time, but on a recent trip with a friend his passenger got of his GS and onto my KTM and confirmed the GS is WAY better from the back seat. I am sure if KTM could be bothered it would be easy to make the pillion seat a bit more comfy and improve ergonomics - and possibly pick up some sales.

As for swapping gears, I suspect you have been riding your GS like my 75 year old mother drives her car, shifting up the box to be in top by 30mph, the GS does let you ride it like my Mum drives her car, it is very smooth low down, and the GSA (IIRC) also has a slightly larger flywheel than a stock GS.

The GS does not "pull you out the situation with its torque" in fact probably the opposite, the KTM has far more torque across the rev range, and responds on a whiff of throttle, this means it will shudder and judder if you open it up at too low revs, the GS by virtue of having much less torque therefore exhibits less vibration when being ridden in this manner.

Regardless of bike you should always be in a responsive gear - whereby not only should opening the throttle result in acceleration, closing it should also result in some engine braking, you are probably just pootling along at revs that are way too low.

My 1190 does not smooth out until around 3.5k - 4,000rpm in higher gears, a huge handful at 3k will result in forward drive - with some vibes, from the test rides I think the 1290 is a fair bit smoother, but asking for all that torque at low revs in a high gear will result in you feeling them huge pistons working.

So either ride it properly, or go back to a GS if you want to drive around like an old woman.

It is a matter of adjusting to the new bike. I do not ride like a granny, far from it. Both bikes are miles different. I still get caught out be a rather long shift lever travel compared to GS. It is called muscle memory.
I’ve only just put 265 miles on 1290 so it is early days to be honest. The the more judder, the sooner I feel the need to change gear, something I need to remember not to do an get used to it.

Ev, go and stick some proper miles on it! You’ve done 15k miles on your last GS, and are trying to compare the 1290 after 265 miles! :blast

It’s obviously going to take more time to get used to, it’s a completely different bike.;)

Ev, go and stick some proper miles on it! You’ve done 15k miles on your last GS, and are trying to compare the 1290 after 265 miles! :blast

It’s obviously going to take more time to get used to, it’s a completely different bike.;)

Nutty, I am not complaining. It is s great bike, (albeit for rider only), I am simply making an observation and comparing the two.

Nutty, I am not complaining. It is s great bike, (albeit for rider only), I am simply making an observation and comparing the two.

Good! :D

hi all
at the end of 2017 I bought a 1290 sd/gt while they were on offer, I had never ridden a ktm before and bought it blind, no test ride, I figured at the price I could always get my money back later if I didn,t like it,, well for the running in period I honestly thought I had made a mistake in buying it, after the first service I was due to leave on a two week euro trip, I was seriously thinking of leaving the ktm and going on my zzr14, a bike I love to bits and on my return to sell the ktm and never go near the brand again, ,,, but after a few tweeks of some annoying ( to me ) niggles, ie changed the slippery metal riders footpegs to some rubber covered items from a 390 duke (only a tenner each from ktm and a straight fit) took off the standard heated grips as the feel of the grips was very hard and they hurt my hands after an hour , not a straightforward job but possible with a little cunning, and replaced them with pro grip 714 grips,fitted the ergo comfort seat, and lastly changed the rear sprocket from 38t to 40t, and things started to feel better, so with some reluctance set off on the tour,,,, well by the time I had got back home with now 4k racked up I had gelled with the bike completely, love it to bits now,,,, so much so that after thinking ktm.s weren,t for me I have just bought a 1290 sas to keep the gt company,,, so I would say they do take time to adjust to/ get used to, but stick with it,, I,m glad I did,

hi all
at the end of 2017 I bought a 1290 sd/gt while they were on offer, I had never ridden a ktm before and bought it blind, no test ride, I figured at the price I could always get my money back later if I didn,t like it,, well for the running in period I honestly thought I had made a mistake in buying it, after the first service I was due to leave on a two week euro trip, I was seriously thinking of leaving the ktm and going on my zzr14, a bike I love to bits and on my return to sell the ktm and never go near the brand again, ,,, but after a few tweeks of some annoying ( to me ) niggles, ie changed the slippery metal riders footpegs to some rubber covered items from a 390 duke (only a tenner each from ktm and a straight fit) took off the standard heated grips as the feel of the grips was very hard and they hurt my hands after an hour , not a straightforward job but possible with a little cunning, and replaced them with pro grip 714 grips,fitted the ergo comfort seat, and lastly changed the rear sprocket from 38t to 40t, and things started to feel better, so with some reluctance set off on the tour,,,, well by the time I had got back home with now 4k racked up I had gelled with the bike completely, love it to bits now,,,, so much so that after thinking ktm.s weren,t for me I have just bought a 1290 sas to keep the gt company,,, so I would say they do take time to adjust to/ get used to, but stick with it,, I,m glad I did,

Thanks for your feedback, let us know how does SAS compare to GT and what tweaks are necessary.

PS SAS is a first ever bike I have owned that is a chain driven. I understand the principal of changing sprockets (if I think of a pushbike) but what does it do to a motorcycle? Surely by changing to a bigger sprocket on the rear will make it travel say at 30mph at allot higher rpm=more noise. From what I understand you can shift into higher gear and have a more relaxed ride at same speed but at the expense of reduced top speed, which I am not bothered about as getting caught at anything over a Tone is instant ban and a hefty fine.

hi
the reason for the sprocket change was to make it easier round town/in traffic and for legal motorway cruising in top gear,,, the gt,s were geared high for well over 170mph iirc in top and they felt a bit judderry at 70mph in top gear cruising, iirc the difference in rpm wasn,t a lot, about 400/500rpm but that was enough to make it nicer to use,
the 1290 sas like the other adv models are already geared lower than the gt so prob doesn't apply to them the same,
my sas is tucked up till spring, not ridden it yet, but will compare the two when I get some miles on it :beerjug:

hi
the reason for the sprocket change was to make it easier round town/in traffic and for legal motorway cruising in top gear,,, the gt,s were geared high for well over 170mph iirc in top and they felt a bit judderry at 70mph in top gear cruising, iirc the difference in rpm wasn,t a lot, about 400/500rpm but that made it nicer to use,
the 1290 sas like the other adv models are already geared lower than the gt so prob doesn't apply to them the same,
my sas is tucked up till spring, not ridden it yet, but will compare the two when I get some miles on it :beerjug:

I see, well enjoy the ride when you get a mo

I almost bought one of the cheap SDGT, but I did not like it much on the test ride, it vibed a lot more than my 1190 - probably not helped by tall top gear, then the suspension felt rock solid after a decade on adventure bikes, the killer was I did not fit on it, it bent my back in half and my legs did not fit into the sculpted bit where they are meant to go.

Even the lower gearing on my 1190 still requires at least 60mph before top gear feels smooth, but that is what gears are for!

The only real tweak I made to the adventures I have owned is moving the gear shift lever as standard you have to lift you knee to your ear before the top of your boot even touches the gear lever to change up.

To solve the pillion problem get your Mrs on her own bike, worked wonders for us, much more comfortable, we can go much further in a day with less aches and pains at the end of it.

A long trip is the best way to get a feel for a new bike (That's my excuse anyway)

Back
Top Bottom