Dorgogne - Advice please

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,Going to France next year for a trip and wanted to know if any of you guys had visited the Dordogne region ? Any info would be much appreciated..Places to stay etc.Will be riding down from Calais.

Start with a look at the RiDE website, you’ll find routes on how to get there and rides to do when you are there.

A hugely popular area for tourists of all sorts.

The Dordogne and Lot region are fantastic. Make sure you go to Rocamadour and Domme.

I have not spent much time in the Dordogne myself but agree that the Lot area next door is superb. The road from Carjac west to Cahors, following the river is a cracker. D662

From Calais head towards Clermont Ferrand and then ride through the Auvergne and Limousin to get to Dordogne. The road over Puy Mary is a favourite.

Have a look at the relevant Michelin map and head for the roads with green borders. You will not go wrong.

Thanks some good info there..

Loads here, and Correze. Look at Tarn Gorge as well. All within sensible day ride out distances. Cracking roads. Avoid the tourist peak to get the best from the area.

If you're going to Domme (worthwhile), have a clamber over Castelnaud (nearby).

Building up a list of road numbers (fast, bumpy, smooth, etc) and villages at the moment. Get your trip booked then pm in spring. Should have more info by then.

Building up a list of road numbers (fast, bumpy, smooth, etc) and villages at the moment. Get your trip booked then pm in spring. Should have more info by then.

As the fellow is not a site subscriber, he can’t PM you. Why not post them here for him (and others) to enjoy?

Hi all,Going to France next year for a trip and wanted to know if any of you guys had visited the Dordogne region ? Any info would be much appreciated..Places to stay etc.Will be riding down from Calais.

For accommodation I cannot recommend Le Moulin Neuf, Paunat, highly enough, been there nearly every year for the last twelve years. We have lots of other holidays as well but we still need our annual fix at the Moulin Neuf. It's a lovely place to stay and within easy reach of some very good restaurants and a convenient base to explore the Dordogne.
See:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel..._Neuf-Paunat_Dordogne_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html

Enjoy the Dordogne whatever you decide. :)

We are a biker B&B and trail riding centre on the Dordogne/Limousin border. A days ride from Calais if you’re hardcore or 2 leisurely days if not. A friendly welcome and cold beer guaranteed. ��
More info on our website.

Le Glacier is one of the best places to eat. However, if you are talking about places to stay then it depends on your budget. If you want to stay at luxury places then La Villa Romaine could be the best place. With a reasonable budget, you should stay at Hôtel Edward 1er.
Have a nice journey.

I would happily ride all day just to have the menu de jour at La Truite Doree, Vers https://www.latruitedoree.fr/?langue=en

Fish soup, home-made pate, nice roads, and just up the road from St-Cirq-Lapopie which is unfeasibly pretty.

It's a tad further south from the Dordogne but well worth it.

that looks interesting - might drift that way in September - need to fill 19th to 29th as I have only booked a ferry to Bilbao and home from Santander so far. Thinking of spending 5 nights in France, 5 in Spain. I like the Lot valley and must have ridden through that village when travelling into Cahors with a friend that lived near Rocamadour.

that looks interesting - might drift that way in September - need to fill 19th to 29th as I have only booked a ferry to Bilbao and home from Santander so far. Thinking of spending 5 nights in France, 5 in Spain. I like the Lot valley and must have ridden through that village when travelling into Cahors with a friend that lived near Rocamadour.

It's handy for the caves at Pech-Merle too. The river that flows into the Lot at Vers (also called the Vers, I think) is brilliant crystal clear and has large trout lounging around in it.

Back
Top Bottom