80/20 tyres

db-89

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After gettin stuck on a small grassy hill with tourances im looking for a tyre with a bit more bite.iv tk70 on my transalp and iv used anakee 3 before. Has anyone use the str pirellis? I dp alot of wet weather riding too so need something good for the road.not asking much 😂

The Pirelli's will not disappoint on wet or dry tarmac.
Didn't like the feel of the rear when it squared.
I also fitted my first set in February during a cold snap and they had no "warming up" problems.
Good tyre.

I will say however, out of all the tyres I have tried on 2 1200 adventures....... Avon Trailrider rider is unmatched.
(personal opinion obviously)

Don't overlook the Metzler Karoo Street, I haven't tried them yet but I would say they will be very similar to the STR's

Sent from a U11

I've used TKC-70 and found them very nimble handling and good in the wet. However that very light low speed handling made them twitchy at high speed. They were rubbish on mud and nothing special on wet grass. I was lucky enough to never try them on snow. The front wore out in a strange way with alternate blocks wearing at front and back. This led to wheel vibration before they would normally be considered worn out. Tread life was less than Conti Trail Attacks (on which they are based) but the price difference more than covered that.

I now have Heidenau K60 Scouts. There is a slight high speed stability issue but if you want to run all day at OMG illegal speeds, you bought the wrong tyre. I'd had them on the bike just a week when forced to do a U turn which took me uphill over a muddy grass(?) verge. I was expecting some real problems but the tyres just bit and got on with the job. The TKC-70s Im sure wouldn't have been half as effective in those conditions.

I have been really pleased with Mitas E07's on my '04 1200 GS after recommendation from Sgt.Bilco of this parish.
Now on 3rd rear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have been using K60 scouts for some years and find them fine for non muddy light off roading. Their longevity is amazing - just got 10K miles out of my rear and the front has done 11K with loads of miles left.

However Motoz is an Australian brand that is new to me and has been getting great reviews. Their GPS tyre is a K60 type but, by all accounts, offers better handling in all conditions, quieter and just as long lasting. I was going to try a rear but they are an order from Adventure Spec and not available till the new year - as I do a lot of mileage I can’t wait that long but will definitely try them next time, although they are more expensive.

Has anyone tried the Karoo Streets? Interested to know how they handle decent pace on tarmac

Michelin Anakee Adventure?

Great reviews everywhere on them, they're supposed to be a little bit more aggressive than the anakee 3s let's call it 70/30 road bias?

The Anakee 3 are very decent on dry offroad (dirt/gravel) they do nothing on mud and imagine the same for sand. On road they're very good fast tyre and good life.

I have been using K60 scouts for some years and find them fine for non muddy light off roading. Their longevity is amazing - just got 10K miles out of my rear and the front has done 11K with loads of miles left.

What are the K60 Scouts like in the wet? I've heard they can be a bit squirmy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Anakee Adventures are shockingly bad on wet roads. They’re an absolute liability. I can’t wait to change them when I get back from France as they’re the worst wet weather tyre I’ve used.

Anakee Adventures are shockingly bad on wet roads. They’re an absolute liability. I can’t wait to change them when I get back from France as they’re the worst wet weather tyre I’ve used.

That's really helpful feedback. Thanks for posting

Pirelli STRs are brilliant.
Got them on my ATAS and so impressed that I fitted them to my 790R from new.
Despite the blocky tread pattern they are much better than TA2s on road .
Great on tracks and gravel too.Not used them extensively in the wet yet.

I have been really pleased with Mitas E07's on my '04 1200 GS after recommendation from Sgt.Bilco of this parish.
Now on 3rd rear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The best, value for money tyre you can get for a nice balance of off, on road wether wet or dry.
May get some noise at certain speeds, will get great mileage from them.

What are the K60 Scouts like in the wet? I've heard they can be a bit squirmy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Scouts are great in the wet or dry, my buddy (when he gets the urge to) goes like shit off a shiny shovel on them, wet or dry :thumb2

Sounds like the Pirelli STR is best bet for 80/20 ish tyre.

Question - how much road grip do you give up with them in the dry? I need something to cover gravel roads (primarily in the dry) and mountain tarmac, hence both my question and my interest in wet grip (higher altitude unpredictable)

Sounds like the Pirelli STR is best bet for 80/20 ish tyre.

Question - how much road grip do you give up with them in the dry? I need something to cover gravel roads (primarily in the dry) and mountain tarmac, hence both my question and my interest in wet grip (higher altitude unpredictable)
Zero........you will be giving up zero road grip, wet or dry.

The problem is that they don't last too long.

Sent from a U11

I have considered the Karoo Street, will probably try them after I've burned through my current Avon Trailrider (you should consider these)

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom