iPhone xs as a satnav.

Sorry for hijacking your thread JJH. No disrespect meant.

FWIW, I just purchased a Quadlock from their site using the code Malcopopolo supplied [for the exact same usage you enquired about.] While I can obviously not yet recommend it... me taking a punt into that direction is a "vote" of sorts...

Not your fault. I posted in the wrong place! JJH

Just to add they also have a Quadlock mount developed for it to.

No body’s listening to me. ����������JJH

Leave the NAV Cradle on

Check out WunderLINQ on Kickstarter

I’ve backed that project and am expecting mine to land soon.

https://youtu.be/5y18V_ZTOBk

Www.blackboxembedded.com

Facinating, but why wuold anyone spend money on this? You already get the same info on the GPS. The GPS is weather resistant, can take a lot more physical abuse, the screen works better in sunlight and the screen may be used with gloves on.
Not to mention the bikes with TFT as well as the GPS.

How much to purchase?

On Kickstarter I paid / pledged $200 they are close to going live with it and I’m sure it’s not going to be hugely more expensive. They do a more rugged version from billet aluminium for the more serious off reader.

Facinating, but why wuold anyone spend money on this? You already get the same info on the GPS. The GPS is weather resistant, can take a lot more physical abuse, the screen works better in sunlight and the screen may be used with gloves on.
Not to mention the bikes with TFT as well as the GPS.

Errr.... none of which is true...

You have to BUY the GPS at £600+ (You already have the phone, presumably). The adapter won't be anywhere near that and will work on any phone as you upgrade them over the years. The APP is free.

Anything Iphone 7 and above is also waterproof to between 1-2m depth of water. Much better spec, therefore, in this instance than any GPS.

If you abuse your GPS or phone, then you had a spoiled childhood. Modern phone screens are far more scratch resistant and have far better resolution and better glare resistance than the NAV VI.

It solves, and removes the requirement to bluetooth GPS, PHONE and COMMS together (in the right order, I might add!) and eliminates the problems it has.

You can use any NAV APP you choose.

One apparatus to do everything (except COMMS) and it does mean that it doesn't use up the (generally) two BT channels on a phone and/or GPS.

That's why.

What he said

Also Scenic, who make a popular bike specific Nav App, which also supports Kurviger routes, have announced support for the WunderLINQ controller, allowing to fully control the scenic app from the wonder wheel.

They’ve also developed a Quad Lock mount as I mentioned and so that should keep my XS Max securely attached to the Nav cradle.

It does take a link out of the Bluetooth chain, and whilst not an Apple fan myself, iOS is pretty much sorted when it comes to multitasking so more than up to the job.

The main drawback I see with it is that I can’t see how they can do offline maps - unless they are going to license them from here or Tom Tom maps.
Yes google maps and Apple maps are improving but they are not quite as good as dedicated road user navigation maps are.

If you do not have TFT or just want a more graphical map than TFT gives you then, if the price is right, this could be a great idea.

It certainly makes all our current Bluetooth shenanigans much easier. You do one connection from phone to helmet and that’s it and those ones are on the whole way more reliable than any between garmin or TFT. Also you can see and interact with any app you like easily such as a local safety camera app....

Many, though not all, nav apps provide downloadable maps The MyRoute Navigation app I use does so, and as well as letting you create routes directly on the phone, also allows you to download pre-prepared routes created on a PC or other device into the phone, meaning that you need no connectivity whatsoever to use the phone as a satnav, so it works where there is no phone signal and also does not use up your data allowance. You can also import Garmin or TomTom files.

Sygic do a marvellous APP. It costs £30+ (one off but I bought mine years ago, this may have changed) but it gives you offline maps and safety cameras. It's for the whole world too, you just download the updated maps by regions as you need them. Whenever you hire a vehicle abroad, you can use it.

Google maps is very good. On my android phone it tells me of traffic jams that are local to me and when they are on my commute to work via a phone notification.

I used a nav 5 in may for a 3.5 week trip in Spain and Portugal. Even with the full address the nav 5 struggled to find hotels. There were certain times when I had to tape my mobile phone to the handle bars and use Google maps. Benefit of a smart phone is u can search the location via Google and from Google select directions.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

The main drawback I see with it is that I can’t see how they can do offline maps - unless they are going to license them from here or Tom Tom maps.

Are you referring to phone Sat Nav apps?

Agreed, the very last thing you need while navigating while riding a bike is having to download maps, probably at horrendous cost when abroad and requiring a cell signal to do so. Off-line maps are the only way. However, apart from Google and Apple Maps, I think ALL Sat Nav apps use off-line maps and even Google Maps can now I believe pre-download the maps that will be needed for a route.

The biggest issue with using a phone in this way is I think the mounting and de-mounting of the phone. With a waterproof phone and wireless charging and Bluetooth for data, it should be as easy as simply placing the phone on a table. A latest (waterproof with wireless charging) Android or iPhone and the magnetic mount onto the Wunderlinq with control by the handlebar wheel control (forgot the official name) is close to being perfect. Except CoPilot is not supported. Well, not yet anyway, so may have to look elsewhere. But SatNav app on iPhone is what I'll be using on the GS.

Last time I looked on the Wunderlinq website it seemed to be saying that they would no longer be making the magnetic mount, and anyone who has one is recommended not to use it off-road. Sounds like they may have had issues with phones falling off. They support lots of other, more secure, mounting methods, so not a big problem.

Last time I looked on the Wunderlinq website it seemed to be saying that they would no longer be making the magnetic mount, and anyone who has one is recommended not to use it off-road. Sounds like they may have had issues with phones falling off. They support lots of other, more secure, mounting methods, so not a big problem.

I’ve got the WunderLINQ quadlock mount on mine, solid as a rock

I’ve got the WunderLINQ quadlock mount on mine, solid as a rock

I've been using a Quadlock mounted to the nav bar on my GS, after taking off the BMW Nav mount, with the phone running the MyRoute Navigation app. I've been really happy with it, and will probably do the same with the new 1250, as with the info on the TFT, I'm not sure that the WunderLINQ gives enough extra benefits to be worth the outlay.

I've been using a Quadlock mounted to the nav bar on my GS, after taking off the BMW Nav mount, with the phone running the MyRoute Navigation app. I've been really happy with it, and will probably do the same with the new 1250, as with the info on the TFT, I'm not sure that the WunderLINQ gives enough extra benefits to be worth the outlay.

Yes the Wunderlinq is rather expensive, but I do think having control by the left hand wheel thingy is extremely desirable.

As for the mounting, I like the simplicity of a magnetic mount, but would be concerned about the security over rough terrain - like regular UK roads I mean. :) Whatever mount is chosen, seems to me it has to either not interfere with normal off bike use of the phone, or be very easy to remove from the phone once off the bike.

Yes the Wunderlinq is rather expensive, but I do think having control by the left hand wheel thingy is extremely desirable.

As for the mounting, I like the simplicity of a magnetic mount, but would be concerned about the security over rough terrain - like regular UK roads I mean. :) Whatever mount is chosen, seems to me it has to either not interfere with normal off bike use of the phone, or be very easy to remove from the phone once off the bike.

With a slim rear cover/case and the low profile Quadlock mount stuck to it, I haven't found this interfered with normal use of the phone while away on trips, and the case can be removed fairly easily when I'm at home and want to put it in my normal wallet type case.

However, I have always taken an old cheap backup phone on trips, just in case, and have now replaced this with one identical to my main phone (Nexus 6) apart from having 32 GB of storage compared to 64 GB on the main phone. Not only is it now easier to keep main and backup phones set up identically, but this means I can dedicate the backup phone to satnav use.

In the unlikely event that it stops working for any reason I have my satnav app and all routes and maps downloaded to the main phone too, which is therefore my backup satnav. The second phone only cost £109 and has a big bright screen plus 32 GB of storage, so much cheaper than a dedicated satnav, and much more memory for an extensive set of maps for offline use.

I really don't like the wheel thingy - I find it spoils the left bar ergonomics, was always getting knocked accidentally, and gets in the way of reaching the indicator switch so I initially re-located it to the right of the switches, and then removed it completely on the last GS. Now need it for the TFT, so may use the spare grip and spare modified wheel which I kept from the last bike and fit it on the new one.

Back
Top Bottom