Worrying Oil Usage 1150GSA

my 1150 has around 80000kms on it, and I also just use Castrol 4T. I do an oil and filter change approx. every 5-6000 kms and fill with the required amount with a measuring jug after dropping the oil, I never need to top up between changes, and use the sight glass as an indicator that the engine has oil in it! Mine smokes on start up if left on the side stand as well.

Mine stopped using oil at around the 50,000 miles mark. It was like turning off a switch. It used a regular amount that you could more or less set your watch by....then suddenly it just stopped. I have heard other people say the same about theirs, at various mileages, but generally between 35,000 and 50,000 so with a bit of luck you might find it just on the verge of starting to use less.

Great I will try a 20W 50 and will only top up to half way up the glass and see how I go.

Thanks for advice.

That about sums it up... Most things on an oilhead are similarly complicated...��

Mine used to burn quite a bit, but since I’ve stopped adding oil it hasn’t burnt a drop :augie

On my old 1150 (which had just over 50k miles on it) I'd ride to Italy and back in the summer and I'd add nothing. I wasn't even sure I could see any usage. So what King Rat is saying seems to fit :thumb2

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

i have an 1150gs brought with 32k miles , used a bit of oil 1/2 lt in 2500 miles , now 106k miles thrashed most of the time , distance and city work , now does 1/2 lt between oil changes ( 5k miles ) using TRM ( 20/60 synthetic Rock oil )

98,000 on mine, had it since 996 miles. The last 70,000 miles were run on 10/50 fully synthetic, which I change at 12,000 miles. doesn't need much topping up during that time, less than a litre. I cant be arsed to change it every 6,000 miles with mineral oil. Rarely gets used on less than 20 mile trips.:popcorn

Back
Top Bottom