Speed hunting and chain noise

Ditchdablade

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2006 gsa which I’ve picked up . 65000 miles on it . I’ve checked valve clearances , all good , changed oils and given new filters.

The bike feels good sounds good but there’s s little chain noise .

What also happens is that the right hand handlebar vibrates at about 75mph. Also the nokevag this speed seems to “hunt” slowly in speed.the bike feels like it’s dribung into a headwind for s second or so then breaks through and accelerated slightly. Then slows again . It’s a wave motion . Only way of getting rid is twist his throttle to beyond 90 mph.

I’m tryjng to find out what’s wrong with it. It’s only small but kinda annoying . Especially as my wrist will start to numb after s bit in vibration

Could this be the cam chain tensioners? Causing the chain to oscillate therefore advancing and regarding the cans everso slightly? Hence the hunting ??

Sounds like the dreaded 4 - 5k rpm flat spot.

I think you'll be told "they all do that sir"

A remap or a set of AX-fied units will help.

Also get the throttles balanced.

Sent from a U11

What’s an ax-fied unit do?

Is this flat spot fairly well known then?

Also does cause the vibration ?

What’s an ax-fied unit do?

Is this flat spot fairly well known then?

Also does cause the vibration ?

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with your bike but they are very common symptoms.

Do a search on the ax-fied you will get plenty of info.........they are a lambda shifting device which alters the AFR

My advice would be to get it to a good trusted BMW independant in your area and have it looked at.

Just checking - are you comparing this behaviour to.........?
I read you questions as if you have newly acquired the GSA, measured against other marques.
The "hunting" around that speed is not unusual, neither are the vibes.
I endorse all the above suggestions.

I get it on my 2010 GSA TC, around a constant 70mph, hoping a power commander will sort it, as you say a sort of wave motion :nenau

Mine has a Power Commander V. It solved the hunting at constant speed and filled the flat spot. BUT it runs open loop so any changes to the exhaust, air filter, etc will affect the fuelling. IMO it's an engineered bodge. You can get an additional box that keeps the O2 sensors in circuit but it then gets so costly you may as well have the ECU remapped. Or (as others have said) use the AFXIED lambda shifters.

Back
Top Bottom