Irish Ferries bookings

Right gentlemen you offered so her I go. :D

Having considered the distance and time we have decided to knock Belfast on the head and instead head for Kilkenny on the first night and do an anti clockwise run taking in the south west and west coasts before finishing around Westport where we will hit the motorway back to Dublin for the last night. Pretty happy with route but any suggestions are welcome.

Now what I could really do with is some advice of towns to stay. Below I have listed approximately where we will end up but most are cities which we want to avoid unless the collective has a different opinion. Ideally we need suggestions within 10 miles of these so I don't have to faff around with the routes too much BUT if there is somewhere that we simply have to stay then so be it.

Night 1 Kilkenny
Night 2 Glengarriff
Night 3 Killarney
Night 4 Limerick
Night 5 Galway

Finally Dublin if anyone has suggestion of place to stay

Many Thanks

When in limerick area stay in Adare plenty of b/bs and a couple of hotels here
Adare is 8 kms on the Killarney side of limerick so should suit

When in limerick area stay in Adare plenty of b/bs and a couple of hotels here
Adare is 8 kms on the Killarney side of limerick so should suit
And you can visit a Royal Enfield dealer (in behind Aunty Lena's pub)

Sent from a U11

With the exception of Dublin pre-booking is not necessary IMHO. An outline plan is sufficient - after that you'll find a nice spot to stay as the afternoon unwinds,
Getting back to Dublin the recommendation hinges on whether you are spending time in the city or are merely snoozing a night away. If the first you are better off in city centre although prices are steep; secure bike parking would be a must for me in our capital city.

Thanks guys. Re Dublin we intend to arrive late afternoon, have a few pints then bed as we have an early ferry back.

Will take a look at Adare as well thanks

When in Killarney I would recommend staying here:

http://www.castlelodgekillarney.ie/

I've stayed before with a group of UK bikers and plan to return again for four nights in May. It's well priced and the rooms are spacious and clean. Decent brekkie too. They have a wee area down the side of the building where you can safely park the bike and it's nicely hidden behind a gate. It's a pleasant 10 min walk to the very centre of town where there are pubs a plenty to check out.

Just down the road is the Killarney Brewing Company - https://www.killarneybrewing.com/ - nice selection of in-house beers and they do a savage pizza as well.

I know you have outlined a schedule above, but I would really recommend spending two nights in Killarney - that way you would have the chance to go for a luggage-free spin around the Ring of Kerry/Valentia Island/Gougane Barra. Killarney to Galway in one day is easily doable even when taking in sights like the Burren, Cliffs of Moher etc. I brought the aforementioned UK group on the same route (but in the opposite direction) and we had plenty of time to stop and see the sights along the way. Pretty sure I still have the routes somewhere if you want them.

Thanks guys. Re Dublin we intend to arrive late afternoon, have a few pints then bed as we have an early ferry back.
In which case I'd not stay in Dublin - try Trim in Co Meath or any other of the wee towns that are within an hour of Dublin. Dublin is good for a fly in weekend but ..... ah you know the rest..................

If you do end up staying in Galway - this place is a nice spot - http://westernhotelgalway.ie/ - despite being right in the centre of town it has secure underground parking for the bike. Eyre Square and all the city sights etc. are only a very short walk away.

before finishing around Westport where we will hit the motorway back to Dublin for the last night.

No motorway from Westport to Dublin. If you want to head back to the capital via motorway, you'd be better off leaving from Galway after Night 5 and heading back on the M6/M4 (and there will be Tolls)

Not much point in moving hotels between Killarney and Glengarrif I think. They're little more than an hour apart.
Spend two nights in one location, save the packing and get an early start instead.
Whichever location you prefer, Killarney, Kenmare, Glengarrif... I'd choose Kenmare over Glengarrif.

Not much point in moving hotels between Killarney and Glengarrif I think. They're little more than an hour apart.
Spend two nights in one location, save the packing and get an early start instead.
Whichever location you prefer, Killarney, Kenmare, Glengarrif... I'd choose Kenmare over Glengarrif.

Though I do like Glengarriff and have stayed there a few times, you are correct, Kenmare is better if you want a bit more happening

No motorway from Westport to Dublin. If you want to head back to the capital via motorway, you'd be better off leaving from Galway after Night 5 and heading back on the M6/M4 (and there will be Tolls)

Well it looked a big road on the map :D

Back
Top Bottom