New F700GS

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have made the decision to move from my R1200GS to a 2017 F700GS (new knee forced the issue) which I hope to pick up the middle of next week.
Busy looking at things to add including Scottoiler, touring screen, mudsling and a set of crash bars - don't you just love BMW!
I am in Portugal at the moment so looking forward to start adding some miles to the bike.
Are there any points I should be aware of and anything to look out for?
TIA
Paul

Headlight protection would be on my list as when I bought mine as the the previous owner had to shell out £250 for a stone chipped one.
Im not sure if you have ridden it yet but I found the brake pedal profile very tight, hence why Toura£ make a brake pedal extender.

Lastly I use putoline spray grease on my chain and got 15k out of my last DID x ring , investment on return for an oiler depends on the type of journeys you do , Its no grief for me to lube every 4 to 6 weeks and good clean 2X year.

They are great bikes and the fuel economy is an added bomus

Steve

I have made the decision to move from my R1200GS to a 2017 F700GS (new knee forced the issue) which I hope to pick up the middle of next week.
Busy looking at things to add including Scottoiler, touring screen, mudsling and a set of crash bars - don't you just love BMW!
I am in Portugal at the moment so looking forward to start adding some miles to the bike.
Are there any points I should be aware of and anything to look out for?
TIA
Paul

Paul, good choice, I had a F700GS for 3 years, lovely bike.

You've identified all the mods I had, in addition I had a comfort seat (I thought the original seat would be uncomfortable although never rode on it, as I had comfort seat fitted by supplying dealer)

Enjoy

Cheers guys
I have added a headlight protector to the list, the bike is supplied with a comfort seat so hope that is a bonus!
Brake pedal extender on the list.
Have you looked at tank bags, I seem to have trouble finding a smart, small one?

Chain oiler

Hi

Great move from the 1200 to the 700GS. I have had a couple of R1200GS and bought a F650GS as a commuter - what a cracking bike!

Fast enough in the real world and with lovely light and neutral handling!

I also thought about Scotttoiler as have used them in the past and they're a great product but I gave these guys a try:

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

The Tutoro oiler is a very simple installation with no tap - ins to vacumn system or electrical connections.

Reservoir has to be mounted vertically [or very nearly] - I sited mine in the gap above the RH footrest hanger and the shock.

Been using for a few months now and has been totally reliable.

My 2012 F650GSSE, the 700s predecessor, didn't have any form of sump guard, indeed any vestige of protection beneath the engine - I think the 700GS is the same. I picked up the belly protector from an 800GS in the for sale section on here, which is just about adequate, but you may prefer to consider something more robust.

Not the most exciting of motors TBH, being a 360 degree Twin, but it keeps up with most in give & take traffic & handling is surprisingly fluent. Amazingly economical too, if that matters.

Thanks for the info on the chain oiler very interesting reading!
I had a F650 twin in 2008, when they first came out but got seduced by the big beast (1200GS). I had a couple of them and have to admit the 2012 triple black from new was a fantastic bike but very heavy.
I do like the look of the new F700GS and its going to be fun to ride locally and to put some miles on it, I am going to the Pyrenees in May so that will be interesting as well.
Fortunately it comes with the adventure bash plate and as said earlier I have already ordered the crash bars.
Must stop spending now!!
Cheers for the help.

Re tankbag, you can get a tank mount and fit either a Givi or Motech ring.Then the choice is plentiful.

I got 18,000 miles from original chain and sprockets, oiling once a week or so with an oil can and old engine oil. Also did it after every commute (150 miles). Sounds like a pain, but on the centrestand and oiling it link by link takes exactly the same time as smoking a post-ride fag so not really a problem! Chain hardly needed adjusting, and it was only the front sprocket getting hooked that necessitate replacements.

New one now fitted so for the moment I'm spraying it with WD40 chain lube. I may revert to the oil can method as it is surprisingly satisfying putting a drop on each link. I'm not sure Scottoilers and the like are really necessary for modern O-ring and X-ring chains if you're prepared to pay a little bit of attention to the chain from time to time.

(I don't do any offroad stuff, so dirt and sand and grit isn't a huge issue for me.)

Back
Top Bottom