F750/850GS Specific aftermarket windscreens

Looks great Richard. I'm curious where is the top of the screen when you are sat on her and how tall are you? Being a short ass I wondered if a dark screen would block my vision or are you looking way over the top?

I’m about 5’ 11”, but short legs and long back, so I am easily looking over the screen, rather than through it. I definitely didn’t want to be looking through a screen, which is why I opted for one of the shorter ones, and why I was happy with the tinted one, which perhaps looks a bit better?

Having said that, I’ve been having some doubts about how effective the screen is (for me) because it seems that I’m getting more turbulence on my helmet - less wind force but more turbulent, if that makes sense. I’m planning to do a quick test again tomorrow before deciding what to do.

By the way, the picture below shows my testing method - to see how tall a screen I wanted. :)

7c3b2111d2fbc392ce23b60c1196e378.jpg

Update. I decided to swap out the Wunderlich screen as it basically solved one problem (wind blast) and created another one (significant turbulence above 60mph). The turbulence was hitting my helmet and rattling my teeth which was pretty annoying.

Still reluctant to order a tall screen (e.g. Givi, Puig etc), I have decided to try the WRS, which is delivered with an 850 bracket. I found some pictures on FB...

This screen is shorter than the Wunderlich, and I'm hoping it is in the sweet spot where wind blast and visor crud is reduced but turbulence is avoided. Let's see.

The WRS screen looks good - is that the clear or smoked version? I get my F750GS next week and will soon be looking for a new screen so look forward to your views on the WRS one.

The WRS screen looks good - is that the clear or smoked version? I get my F750GS next week and will soon be looking for a new screen so look forward to your views on the WRS one.

Pretty sure that is a smoked screen. I asked the guy on FB what he thought of the screen. He said...

I still get helmet turbulence, but if I duck down 2”, there’s none, I’m 5’11”

Which doesn't sound too promising. Mine has been shipped, so I should get it early next week (subject to DPD and the new year).

I have fitted the Givi Airflow and as you say there is plenty of turbulence. This is due to the significant negative air pressure behind the screen combining with the wind blast being directed past the screen itself. I have solved this by adding 1" spacers behind the screen mount to bring the screen away from the headlamp and cockpit. This gives air the ability to get behind the screen and equalising the air pressure on both sides of the screen (the same method that MADSTAD employs). The inherent shape of the top Givi screen is the best available to redirect air flow. The only other type of screen that might work is a MRA spoiler type that seeks to break up the airflow before it gets to the rider. MRA do not manufacture a screen for this bike yet; although PUIG do with the added spoiler.

^^ Good to hear you have managed to get the Givi Airflow to perform as required.

My concern with the Puig is the relatively thin material they seem to use, together with the fact it is a tall screen on the standard 750 mount. I think if the WRS doesn't work, I will wait for MRA to develop a screen. They seem to be a bit behind the curve at the moment.

By the way, to add to the original list, there is now a Madstad option on the USA site, so I guess it'll shortly be available in the UK.

https://madstad.com/collections/bmw/products/bmw-f750-850gs-2018

It's expensive, but it includes a mechanism for adjusting the height - as well as some side deflectors.

F750G_22LG_01_large.jpg

The gap between the screen and headlamp is the important part as mentioned in my previous post.

Pretty sure that is a smoked screen. I asked the guy on FB what he thought of the screen. He said...

Which doesn't sound too promising. Mine has been shipped, so I should get it early next week (subject to DPD and the new year).

Well as I am only 5' 6" that might work well for me then as long as I am not looking through the screen. I will await your feedback. Thanks.

After a wet run yesterday I have decided to try the taller BMW screen off of the 850. I found the only real issue I had was that the top half of my visor was getting covered in filth so I am hoping it will address this as it is some 4 inches taller without adding any noise or turbulence as it is the same shape. We'll see but fingers crossed!

After a wet run yesterday I have decided to try the taller BMW screen off of the 850. I found the only real issue I had was that the top half of my visor was getting covered in filth so I am hoping it will address this as it is some 4 inches taller without adding any noise or turbulence as it is the same shape. We'll see but fingers crossed!

It's not a cheap option unless you go for a Powerbronze version for the 750 mount. I am not sure how much better it will be. I agree that actually, the 750 screen gives clean airflow but you get everything hitting you; bugs and all. As I said before to have a guaranteed screen that works for you, you need an adjustable one and the only ones available at this time are the Givi Airflow and the Madstad arrangement. I rate both very highly but both are not attractive if this bothers you (it doesn't me as I would sooner have something that works...). Any other fixed screen will give some turbulence issue, perhaps the PUIG with added spoiler will be ok - but these MRA type spoilers only serve to disrupt the air not move it away from you. I have worked on many screen variations over time and my best were:

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Givi Touring screen on Madstad mount
2012 BMW R1200GS Givi Airflow
2016 BMW R1200GSA Puig Touring without spoiler (bike gives adjustment)

I found both my 2011 R1200RT and 2012 K1600GT stock Screens were great with both bikes having electric adjustment.

I rate the Givi Airflow highly as it actually works better, the faster you go; a very clever design. You do need to play with the mount though to increase the angle of the screen and give a little air underneath the screen to reduce negative air pressure (the thing that pulls you toward the screen at speed). Once sorted, it's very effective.

I do have an issue with the look of the Airflow - I have had one before and do know that they work well. It is not just the height of the screen though, it is also the width and shape that affect air flow and turbulence. Unfortunately there are no cheap options for screens as I know from previous bikes but I would prefer to start small and only go larger if required. All I want is to keep a clear visor, not total weather protection.

Richard how are you getting on with the WRS screen?

Would be interesting as this looks a well designed screen with significant space between it and the headlamp for the pass through of air.

Richard how are you getting on with the WRS screen?

Well, it finally arrived about 3 hours ago, as it was delayed by the NY holidays.

It is supplied with the 850 screen mount:

And overlaid with the original 750 screen, this is what it looks like:

Fitting is easy, as once the mount is swapped, it uses the original BMW fittings.

On the bike, I think it looks pretty good (this is the 'smoke' version):

On the road - on a very blustery day - the screen definitely helps to push the airstream higher than the standard screen and up to 70'ish, it's not a problem at all. I'm sure it will keep the spray and crud off my visor too. I didn't feel any particular turbulence either - although there was a lot of wind coming from the sides today, so I need a better test to be sure.

Overall, I'm happy with this one. It looks better than the Wunderlich (IMO), and doesn't suffer from the same turbulence issue - as well as offering a bit more protection than the standard.

It is also good that I now have an 850 mount, so if/when I decide to go for a 'proper' touring screen, the choice/cost will be lower.

A bit more about the WRS screen...

Firstly, the structure of it is similar to the stock BMW screen, although being bigger, it also has more curve from side to side and a slight lip at the top edge. I would say the thickness of the sheet is about the same as stock and there is no flex or movement in the screen once the bike is moving.

Secondly, today I went out in the wet to see how it behaved. Being a relatively short screen, it cannot do miracles and so of course, rain still settled on my visor at slowish speeds. The airflow clears the visor once speed increases, and the best thing is that I did not get any road crud on my visor - despite the fact that the bike was filthy at the end of the run.

So, overall, I would say this is a good screen for those that want a bit more protection but are unwilling to go the whole way with a touring screen. For myself, I am happy with this for now, and it suits my needs, but if I decide to go on longer distance tours I will certainly look at a bigger screen - probably MRA when it is available. I would then envisage swapping between the two (MRA and WRS) as usage and conditions dictate.

Madstad are now offering the adjustable "robobracket" for the F850GS with or without their touring screen. This means it would be possible to use their adjustment mechanism to adjust height and tilt of the screen, with any aftermarket screen (for example the WRS shown above) or the stock 850 screen.

http://https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Madstad_Screens_and_Brackets_for_BMW_F850GS.html

It is not an inexpensive option at £180, but I guess it might provide a great solution for pretty much all conditions and rider preferences.

Just needs someone to try it... :D

Back
Top Bottom