F750/850GS Specific aftermarket windscreens

Richard, I was just thinking to order the last config you tested and I see you are selling the kit. Didn't it work for you after some more ride or you have another reason for selling it?

Richard, I was just thinking to order the last config you tested and I see you are selling the kit. Didn't it work for you after some more ride or you have another reason for selling it?

I'm selling it because I traded the bike for a 1250GS. Fortunately, the standard screen on that bike is fine for me, so I'm done with searching for ultimate screen combinations. :D

I would recommend the Madstad/MRA combination. I've sold the Madstad but the MRA is still sitting in my garage.

Hi Richard. Do you still have the MRA vario available and if so how much are you looking for it?

https://youtu.be/E6WsCFlBugU

Most of you will have seen Jesse’s reviews on the F750/850 bikes. If not check them out, I like his laid back Swedish style. This link is to his latest on the adjustable GSA screen.

Hi Stonehenge,

I have just added a Givi Airflow screen and although it removes the windblast it does provide turbulence. Please can you tell me where you purchased the spaces shown in your pictures. Is there any reason why spacers these could not be inserted immediately next to the screen where it bolts on the Givi F750GS modification brackets?

Hi Stonehenge,

I have just added a Givi Airflow screen and although it removes the windblast it does provide turbulence. Please can you tell me where you purchased the spaces shown in your pictures. Is there any reason why spacers these could not be inserted immediately next to the screen where it bolts on the Givi F750GS modification brackets?

Not sure if you can space out direct on the screen. Try it. The spacers I used were bits lying around the Garage. From memory the bottom spacer was around 15mm and the top half that. This angles the screen back. I used longer bolts as well. A Madstad or Wunderlich bracket does the same job but costs. If you are willing to do a little trial and error, give it a go. I remember a little adjustment made a big difference once you near the sweet spot. That said, even as best as I could get it with Madstad and MRA screen was beaten easily by the 850 GSA standard set up.

Hi Stonehenge,

Thanks for the info.

I opened up the cockpit today and found the 4 bolt locations which you used. I will start with 4 doorstops and new longer bolts as a cheap experiment. It seems strange that Givi made the screen so long at the bottom and/or they did not include longer spacers themselves. Depending on the position of the slider, the turbulence from the screen was actually making the mirrors vibrate. :-(

One suggestion higher up the forum was to put the slider upside down. I tried that and it was remarkably effective but still not ideal. Running without the slider also worked quite well.

I will report back in a few days. We are doing a trip to Derbyshire in a week or so which will be a good test so I need something in place by then.

Having run a couple of longer trips this year i'm going to have accept defeat which will not be a surprise to Stonehenge, me thinks.:blast.

The smaller (325mm) WRA is an improvement on the stock bikini screen as it completely moves wind blast off the body and i haven't noticed any significant turbulence (probably riding too slow!) The problem is I have dirty air coming off the top of the screen hitting me about mid visor and up. The noise and buffeting are a pain and im looking for my next option.

Stonehenge has recommended the Madstad screen and i have seen reviews of the F850GSA adjustable screen being positive. Neither are cheap so does anyone else have a solution that they are happy with and would categorically recommend?

Last edited:
Lot of good research work here but has anyone achieved a set up where they don't need earplugs as not everyone can wear earplugs (whatever the design / manufacturing materials used)??? Thks

Stonehenge, kameloil and Daytripper.

On Saturday I bought 10 doorstops (£1.79 for the pack) and 25 M6 50mm hexcap screws (£6.63) and made the same adjustment as Stonehenge. The transformation was amazing. Now with a decent airgap of 1.25 inches between the headlight cowl and the lower screen, the turbulence is nearly gone. There is no windblast at all and the bike seems to be faster. I knew it was better when I looked at the speedo and found it was showing 90 and I had not even realised. I am still playing around with the positioning of the upper screen. Currently it is raised by about 2 inches. I need more test rides to find the "sweet spot" which Stonehenge says is quite critical. Fortunately I am only half a mile from the A47 dual carriageway and there is a 3 mile section to the next roundabout with two laybys on each side. This means I can try 6 positions of the screen in a 7 mile test ride.

The doorstops are shiny black PVC and the inside is a sort of honeycomb. I added a large washer to the front and back of each doorstop to spread the load evenly across the surfaces.

I placed a 2p coin against one of them to give an idea of size.

When fitted behind the F750 screen mount, they look like part of the bike.

Stonehenge, kameloil and Daytripper.

On Saturday I bought 10 doorstops (£1.79 for the pack) and 25 M6 50mm hexcap screws (£6.63) and made the same adjustment as Stonehenge. The transformation was amazing. Now with a decent airgap of 1.25 inches between the headlight cowl and the lower screen, the turbulence is nearly gone. There is no windblast at all and the bike seems to be faster. I knew it was better when I looked at the speedo and found it was showing 90 and I had not even realised. I am still playing around with the positioning of the upper screen. Currently it is raised by about 2 inches. I need more test rides to find the "sweet spot" which Stonehenge says is quite critical. Fortunately I am only half a mile from the A47 dual carriageway and there is a 3 mile section to the next roundabout with two laybys on each side. This means I can try 6 positions of the screen in a 7 mile test ride.

The doorstops are shiny black PVC and the inside is a sort of honeycomb. I added a large washer to the front and back of each doorstop to spread the load evenly across the surfaces.

I placed a 2p coin against one of them to give an idea of size.

When fitted behind the F750 screen mount, they look like part of the bike.

Excellent. It's all about matching the airflow over the screen with that underneath it. The angle of the screen is pretty critical as well. Madstad say 60 degrees but actually differs from screen to screen.

Here is another attemp to see my spacers

IMG_0519.JPG (file://DESKTOP-VQ5ABL4/Users/User/Google%20Drive/IMG_0519.JPG)

Still not right

I have now done a lot more miles on a complete variety of roads using the WRS screen and I am just amazed at how well it suits me and the bike. I have had many bikes over the years and often tried a wide variety of manufacturer and aftermarket screens on them but I have to say this is the best match I have ever found for the right mix of protection, airflow and quietness. I realise this is just a particular set of personal circumstances but I am so pleased with the screen that I felt I had to post about it again! :thumb2

Hi Steve
I’ve been test riding a f850gs with standard screen and love it apart from the noise/buffeting at any speed above 50mph
I also rode a f850gsa and the adjustable screen on that was a lot quieter, but not perfect.
As i’m 5’7” your solution with the WRS? Screen is of interest.

Did you just fit the WRS screen or did you add an adjustable bracket?, and did it cure the noise/buffeting completely or just partially?

Thanks in advance for your comments/reply

Steve

i inquired with one of the parts gremlins at BMW on the adjustable f850GSA bracket. Without the screen and the two small side fairing the two position (Up/Down) bracket is £178.34 plus Vat = £214 Part number 46638 562228 if anyone is interested. The lack of multiple variations and the ridiculous cost means i'm still with Stonehenge, Oldsteve and Silversufer 2007 on their change options.

I couldn't get the 750/850 perfect even with a Madstad and MRA screen. But it wasn't bad at all and was not the reason to change. I was however bowled over by how good the 850GSA is on windflow. But putting the GSA mount on a 750/850 will not make it a GSA. The factors include the frontal area of the larger GSA and the winglets it uses etc. I put the MRA screen on the GSA and it is great. To the extent that I forget about any screen issues now and that is the measure - if the issue drops from your mind, then the solution is complete.

Other bikes that have been great are the 2012 R1200GS with a Givi Airflow. R1200GSA LC with the Puig Touring screen. The 2012 R1200RT standard screen is great as are K1600GT screens, but both are adjustable on the move. All of these arrangements had big gaps at the bottom to allow alot of airflow to reduce negative air pressure and that is the trick to reduce buffeting.

Thanks Kameloil and stonehenge.

The buffeting issues seems to be common to adventure style bukes, i actually bought a Ducati Multistrada new in 2015 and never managed to get rid of the problem, that and the size of the thing made me sell.

The 850gs is good size wise, with a low seat as i’m short!, but the buffeting isnt something i can live with.

I found the gsa a lot better with it’s adjustable screen but wasnt wanting to spend that much money....am thinking of a 2018 gs

Hmmmm.....

After trying a few screens I put the stock screen back on the 850 plus an MRA X-screen on top. The 750 has an 850 mount plus MRA screen with Xs teen on top. No buffeting on the 850, some still on the 750 but it’s a commuter so I rarely get above 50mph, which is when the buffeting kicks in. As has been said it’s probably the angle rather than the height, plus other factors. Smaller is the way to go on a 750 or 850 non-GSA - large screens just make the bikes look unbalanced.

Back
Top Bottom