New old guy

RichardD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Pointed in this direction (to a thread about after-market windscreens) by a guy on a watch forum, I thought I'd sign up and join in - having just collected my new bike yesterday.

At the ripe old age of 57 I decided to get back on a bike for the first time in almost 40 years. As I have recently retired, I intend to use the bike to get out and about a bit, mainly on short day trips into Wales and the Peak District.

So, having not ridden for donkey's years and somehow getting a bit heavier and less flexible, I decided to do a 7 day intensive training course to get through the CBT, Mod1 and Mod2. Luckily (and it was luckily) I passed. :nenau

Bearing in mind my total lack of experience (although 40 years of car driving probably counts for something), I decided the F750GS would be a perfect bike - low'ish seating position, comfortable, plenty of performance for my needs and easy to live with.

I collected it yesterday and although the weather is not ideal, I'm looking forward to getting to know it over the coming days, weeks and months. Meanwhile, I am sure I will have a few questions for the forum experts.

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of my new pride and joy:

d368ce23e2295af6ec0d194c4400fcbb.jpg

9ddb9453e7b4089bb8d5e96a960723e8.jpg

5bf7bc4f51b8c55f9ab4c8550ac6a13c.jpg

Welcome. Trust me, you’re a relative youngster here :thumb2

Greetings & welcome to the forum...

Congrats on passing your test, and enjoy your new bike....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Im Steve from TZ good to see you on the dark side. Same ascerbic humour on here, but in the round a great crew. Note the new F750/850 bikes have a dedicated section.

Slight word of caution if you see F800/F700gs bits coming up for sale on here check suitability and fit as BMW pushed the boat out on changes between the model launch.

Steve

Welcome to the mad house, dont forget to post your shirt size for extra points...................and what do points make? :D

At 57 you're just a kid on here :D

Welcome to all things UKGSer ... now get stuck in and enjoy that 'bike o'yours :thumby:

:beerjug:

Welcome to the forum, your bike is a great choice, and looks brilliant in those colours, don' get distracted by age, the older generation are the only ones who can afford half the bikes we ride :hippy

James

Thanks again, all. Yeah, the age thing.. It's good to know there are plenty of 'more mature' members on here.

My point is the fact that I'm fairly clueless about riding bikes - and it feels weird to be clueless at my age, which kinda makes me feel old.

Anyway, I have plenty of time to learn a bit and hopefully feeling myself improve day by day.

Welcome to the forum. If you pay your £12 subs you'll get more access to the forum.

Everyone will tell you it's the best £12 you'll spend, for the help and advice (and piss-taking) you'll receive.

:thumby:

Thanks again, all. Yeah, the age thing.. It's good to know there are plenty of 'more mature' members on here.

My point is the fact that I'm fairly clueless about riding bikes - and it feels weird to be clueless at my age, which kinda makes me feel old.

Anyway, I have plenty of time to learn a bit and hopefully feeling myself improve day by day.

Mature ? Where ?
I'm a newbie as well but it seems a good site with plenty going on.

Welcome, Not only am I an old git:rob but also been here for ages, it's a great site:thumb2 Like you also on TZuk, now you have subscribed you can look at our own "SC" where not only will you be able to spend loads on bike related kit , you may also get a new watch or two:D:D Cheers:beerjug:John B

Welcome, Not only am I an old git:rob but also been here for ages, it's a great site:thumb2 Like you also on TZuk, now you have subscribed you can look at our own "SC" where not only will you be able to spend loads on bike related kit , you may also get a new watch or two:D:D Cheers:beerjug:John B

I came here to avoid spending money on watches! :)

Only 57?

The thing is that you young guys need to ride steady at first until you get your bike road sense back.

Enjoy your bike.
Regards
Martin

Only 57?

The thing is that you young guys need to ride steady at first until you get your bike road sense back.

Enjoy your bike.
Regards
Martin

You’re not wrong, Martin. I’ll be taking it easy for sure.

Back
Top Bottom