Shoei Ryd or Qwest ?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
tried a Shoei on today (using Arai now).. wow, it fit like a glove. size Medium just a tad tight but guess the will relax with age...

question is, I tried a Ryd, then watch a you-tube on it and the guy said it was a great helmet, but his Qwest we just a bit better in cross winds?

anyone any experiance of either of these helmets?

I'm also guessing a medium in Ryd will be the same fit as a medium in Qwest if I went that way, or do I have to go try one?? :)

I've had a Qwest for about 6 or 7 years (just about to change to a flip up helmet) and reckon that it's a great piece of kit and a bargain now at £200. Very comfortable, fairly light (at least it feels that way) and I'd say it's pretty quiet too. Build quality is typical Shoei excellence. Can't go wrong really.

yes, never had a Shoei, and was shocked how nice it was in comparison to my old Arai... the Ryd I guess is the new version of it and can be had for £210 online (some Qwests now at £160) so a no brainer. very light, with pull out sections for comms ear pads... just wondering which one is best... think I'll go Ryd.... does everything I want and at that price I can get a self tinting visor thing :)

Great deals to be had on the GT-Air now that there is a new model.......just a thought.

yes, £249 cheapest I can find... looks like they have the removable bits for the speakers by the ear?... look a good helmet... so... I bought it :)

thanks for the advice

Attachments

• shoei_helmet_swayer-tc3.jpg
    shoei_helmet_swayer-tc3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 677
yes, £249 cheapest I can find... looks like they have the removable bits for the speakers by the ear?... look a good helmet... so... I bought it :)

thanks for the advice
GT Air is a cracking helmet. But I found the sizing smaller than other Shoei helmets. I am normally a Medium, but ended up with Large.

thanks for the advice

Fantastic colour scheme in the flesh, it's very, very detailed.

It will have speaker pockets......in fact Sena do a bespoke comms kit for the helmet ( all integrated) and you might get a deal on one of those as well (Sena 10U for GT-Air)

Fantastic deal by the way!!!!

I had a Qwest for a few years then I swapped it for a GT Air, they are both excellent lids

The Qwest is maybe a little quieter than the GT Air but the GT Air has a fully removable lining so it’s easier to wash and for me the dealbreaker, the GT Air has a built in sun visor which I would not be without

Don’t know about the Ryd

GT Air is a cracking helmet. But I found the sizing smaller than other Shoei helmets. I am normally a Medium, but ended up with Large.

well, I measure 57.5cm and they say that is Medium, so its what I've gone for.. had a medium Ryd on today... was snug, but not tight... so I think / hope the fit is the same....
I have Scala units so hope they fit... :)

well, I measure 57.5cm and they say that is Medium, so its what I've gone for.. had a medium Ryd on today... was snug, but not tight... so I think / hope the fit is the same....
I have Scala units so hope they fit... :)

Scala Q1 fitted perfect in mine, just removed the foam from the helmet ear pads and refitted them over the speaker cutouts to prevent my ears rubbing on them. Got a really good deal on a MK1 Neotec earlier this his year. Back to size medium.

I was a large in the Neotec (still am) and also a large in the XR1100 and GT-Air (the GT-Air was a bit of a squeeze)

Sent from a U11

will find out on Tuesday... can be returned if too tight, but they don't have any more .... think with the air they are tight to get on as they come under quite a bit, but once on its said they are the same as others??.. and they will give with time so fingers crossed.. just don't want it hurting the top of my ear.. my Arai does this, never found out why as it does not appear to contact it?... only the RHS one for some reason??. :)

dare I say, I've had the Arai for 20 years now LOL... only weekend use... but in Fiberglass they should last for ever if not dropped... I don't go with this 5 year bit? (obviously)

If anyone wants a Shoei GT Air helmet, we've got around 30 still to clear out, happy to do them at almost cost price, we have mainly plain colours available still, and most medium and large sizes sold out, so pot luck whether we'll be able to supply or not :)

i bought an aria chaser when choosing 5 years ago as it felt plusher and was cheaper. But the qwest should have been bought for its quietness. Found my Arai quite noisy, but the helmet had been bought...So I guess a qwest is a good buy now

If anyone wants a Shoei GT Air helmet, we've got around 30 still to clear out, happy to do them at almost cost price, we have mainly plain colours available still, and most medium and large sizes sold out, so pot luck whether we'll be able to supply or not :)

Whats your 'almost cost price' ?... and what do you have in large?.. just interested just in case a Medium is too tight ;)

Well, its here... and its tight... but been sat with it on for 60 mins now watching TV and no headache so guess its okay... just needs to relax off that little bit and it will be like a glove...
seen it reported before that they relax 10%?.. not sure what that means??.. :)

Well, its here... and its tight... but been sat with it on for 60 mins now watching TV and no headache so guess its okay... just needs to relax off that little bit and it will be like a glove...
seen it reported before that they relax 10%?.. not sure what that means??.. :)

If it doesn't ease up enough you can always get thinner linings by a few millimeters

sure it will be fine... just ID the area and give it a local push with the thumbs... when its on TBH it fits well after ive done that in a few places... but getting it on is tight... and off!... nearly pulled my ears off LOL

Whats your 'almost cost price' ?... and what do you have in large?.. just interested just in case a Medium is too tight ;)

We've got currently in Large size the following:

Gloss White:£300
Light Silver:£300
Gloss Black: £300
Matt Black:£300
Royalty TC1: £340

Back
Top Bottom