macbook pro advice

Daddy2coull

Reaction score
i'm currently in the market for a MacBook pro so my 2014 MacBook air and 2011 iMac can be cascaded through the family. i see that the latest models no longer have magsafe or usb ports. is this as much of a massive inconvenience as i think it will be?

Not really. Personally I liked magsafe, but the USB-C is OK and becoming more common.
Adapters are easily available.

MagSafe was very clever - a shame it’s discontinued.

I thought the USB-C only was a bit of a pain, TBH.

Make sure you give the keyboard a thorough test - It isnt a patch on the previous models for action (or longevity, I reckon).

Dont bother with their extended AppleCare - you get 2yrs under UK consumer law anyway.

cheers guys, out of interest. how do the keyboards compare to me 2014 air?

i the magsafe is handy for me, i loaf on the sofa on a sunday morning watching f1 and motogp with my dogs jumping all over the place. just worried about damaging the usb c port if the knock into it

The usb-c pulls out very easily. Probably why they discontinued the magsafe.

USB C is ok with adapters.

I have just bought a used late 2015 MacBook pro 15. It is still mega quick.

Do you want a 15inch or 13? That may influence your decision

Someone, probably like Belkin or similar, has come up with a USB C magnetic adapter which works like the old Magsafe.

If you follow MacRumors.com it'll be on their site somewhere.

I've had my MBP with magic screenything, since they came out as I was up for a renewal. I've been really happy with it. Just have a think about how many things you currently, regularly plug in and get those adapters.

I've got a USB to USB C, a VGA so I can plug into stuff when I need to present at work and a Thunderbolt? adapter to for my external hard drive. I've thought about getting others but not needed to.

As with everything, you get used to it.

Unfortunately with USB-C as a power input - the cable never gets yarked out straight.

As mentioned - you get magnetic adaptors which will partially alleviate this.

Yes, you end up needing loads of adaptors; USB-C doesn't seem to be a tight fit (at least with none of the 5 MBP's I've bought for my developers) so you have to keep pushing them in. USB-C monitors have a premium over non-USB-C monitors.
It's Apple being idealistic again (and I'm an Apple fan!) but I imagine it'll be the norm soon.

Back
Top Bottom