2019 tyres

Yogibear69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Was at the dealer today and noticed the new 1250gs and gsa and a few of the late 1200s have bridgestone battle axe trail tyres on. Have not really heard of them as only ever had the anekee 3 and roadtec 01s. What are peoples thoughts on the new bikes tyre of choice ?

Was at the dealer today and noticed the new 1250gs and gsa and a few of the late 1200s have bridgestone battle axe trail tyres on. Have not really heard of them as only ever had the anekee 3 and roadtec 01s. What are peoples thoughts on the new bikes tyre of choice ?
New bike, new tyres.

I'm sure the mothership has extensively tested them to ensure compatibility.

Then again maybe they're just tuppence cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I ran Battle axe on my previous GS1200 and found them OK but having changed to the tourance I wouldn't go back, the Metzler were more confidence inspiring. Changed to the tourance next on my current LC

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

BMW have been shipping S1000XRs with Bridgestone T30 Evo tyres. I have the newer T31 on mine. They are okay.

I think the A41 uses the same compounds as the T31 with an adventure tread pattern.

I bet BMW are using the older A40 tyres like they use the T30 with the XR.

Same applies to the R1200RS - mine shipped with Metzeler Roadtec Z8 when the Roadtec 01 is the latest tyre.

Note that BMW are cheap...

My 2004 1200 came out of the showroom with Bridgestone Trailwings or Deathwings as they were affectionately known. They were........OK. I think I even did a trackday on them.

However, if your formative years were spent on Avon SM, TT100, Michelin M38 and various other 70's and 80's rubber....mustn't forget the Pneumants....:eek: then almost all modern tyres are a huge improvement.

Contrary to what BMW and other manufacturers would have you believe it is very rare for them to develop model specific tyres with tyre manufacturers for run of the mill production vehicles.
They will be fitting Bridgestone because of one reason ............economics............... they will have struck a deal whereby they are geting them cheap to increase their profit margins

No Bridgestones on the R1200 GSA I collected last night.

My July 18 production GSA has Bridgestone A41 tyres fitted. All I can say about them are they are an ok tyre. They just work wet or dry, no dramas experienced as yet and they display the handling traits of a normal touring tyre.

My July 18 production GSA has Bridgestone A41 tyres fitted. All I can say about them are they are an ok tyre. They just work wet or dry, no dramas experienced as yet and they display the handling traits of a normal touring tyre.

My 1250 has the A41’s

Apart from being quieter than the Anakee’s they seem about the same to me so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only ever had Battleaxe or Anakee’s on my new GS’s. Have not enjoyed either and in my experience just about anything else is better! Normally change for Metzler Tourances, Dunlop Trailsmarts or Continental Trail Attacks.

Just my penny’s-worth!

My 2004 1200 came out of the showroom with Bridgestone Trailwings or Deathwings as they were affectionately known. They were........OK. I think I even did a trackday on them.

However, if your formative years were spent on Avon SM, TT100, Michelin M38 and various other 70's and 80's rubber....mustn't forget the Pneumants....:eek: then almost all modern tyres are a huge improvement.

I had Trailwings on my 1100GS thought they were quite good. My 2007 1200GS was fitted with the Deathwings never got on with them switched to Tourance MK1's a much better tyre for me anyway. TT100's god I remember having those on my Bonnie!!

Roadtec 01's suit me to 'T' beautiful compliant tyre made the LC a far better bike after the Anakees IMHO. But each to his own:blagblah

I have used the Bridgestone A41's on my MY17 GS and they do offer good grip for on-road and no worse then Anakee 3's off-road. They have a reasonably stiff sidewall and in my opinion didn't give me the feedback I was looking for. Having said that I pushed them very hard and they never let go.

Picked up my new 1250GS about 2 weeks ago fitted with the Bridgestone Battle axe Trail. wet ride in on a 1200GS fitted with Michelin Pilot 4 trails the difference was astonishing, the new tyres needed scrubbing in but the front felt horrible and felt if it was washing out on the wet ride home. now fitted Michelin road 5 trails and within 100 metres they are far better [still on wet roads] anyone want a pair of Bridgestones with 120 miles on?

Picked up my new 1250GS about 2 weeks ago fitted with the Bridgestone Battle axe Trail. wet ride in on a 1200GS fitted with Michelin Pilot 4 trails the difference was astonishing, the new tyres needed scrubbing in but the front felt horrible and felt if it was washing out on the wet ride home. now fitted Michelin road 5 trails and within 100 metres they are far better [still on wet roads] anyone want a pair of Bridgestones with 120 miles on?
Tyre around dartboard recently replaced, other wise I would take up kind offer.

They are rather crap aren't they. Anyone getting a 1250 for Christmas, get it agreed change the tyres.

Tyre around dartboard recently replaced, other wise I would take up kind offer.

They are rather crap aren't they. Anyone getting a 1250 for Christmas, get it agreed change the tyres.

if you think the battleaxe are crap you should try the trailwings. :eek:

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I'm looking to change the standard tyres on my 2016 GS. I replaced the rear and suppose I get about 6k out of them before they're squared off, both front and back need doing now at around 12k miles. Looking for a road tyre that inspires confidence and is hard wearing! Have looked around on here, a lot of sugestions, but thought I;d ask in a current tyre thread. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I'm looking to change the standard tyres on my 2016 GS. I replaced the rear and suppose I get about 6k out of them before they're squared off, both front and back need doing now at around 12k miles. Looking for a road tyre that inspires confidence and is hard wearing! Have looked around on here, a lot of sugestions, but thought I;d ask in a current tyre thread. Thanks in advance.

Metezeler Tourance Next are my favourite. If found them to have very good wear rate, good wet or dry and can be had for good price.

Either Michelin PR5 trail or Avon Trail rider's; if it is purely for road use, and you're more interested in grip etc than the "look" then Metzeler roadtec 01.

Back
Top Bottom