2019 tyres

Cheers all, will do some digging around based on your replies! :)

Went for the Bridgestone A41s in the end based on feedback my dealer received. Done about 400 miles on them now, first thoughts are:

Less noisy than OEM tyres, but still make an audible "wooshing" sound.
More stable at high speed, even compared to new OEM tyres.
No more confidence inspiring than OEM tyres, but haven't really cranked it over yet!
Levels of grip on cold and damp roads seem good so far.
Good transition from upright to leaning when cornering, but I guess that's done to having completely knackered tyre before (front and back both heavily squared-off).

Generally, I;m pleased so far with these tyres. Hope someone find that useful :)

Now got 150 odd miles on my A41s and grip and handling are spot on...confidence inspiring and the tyres are impressively quite too. I understand that they are OEM on 2019 bikes.

The only thing I don't like is lack of front feel. You know when you go to tip into a corner and there's no indication of grip levels that it then mentally starts you being anxious about lean angles? I think that's more to do with the Telelever suspension than the tyres though. I may play around with pressures and suspension set up to see if that's something that can be improved. They've proved better in the wet than my previous PR4s which I didn't like but they were horribly squared off when I bought the bike even though they had 3 or 4mm tread depth left.

Last time I had Battle Axes on anything was on Honda Deauville, they seemed to suit it well. So taking them off a GS immediately after purchase makes perfect sense.

Last time I had Battle Axes on anything was on Honda Deauville, they seemed to suit it well. So taking them off a GS immediately after purchase makes perfect sense.

How so? By all accounts they've been really well received. Just about everyone I have spoken to who now has them on their beemers (and a few on KTMs) seem to really rate them. Can be a personal thing, I know. I bit like raising a cable thread on a hifi forum :proff:yelrotflm

How so? By all accounts they've been really well received. Just about everyone I have spoken to who now has them on their beemers (and a few on KTMs) seem to really rate them. Can be a personal thing, I know. I bit like raising a cable thread on a hifi forum :proff:yelrotflm

It’s a joke, I have no idea if they are any good. I was teasing. Comparing a new GS with my 2008 capable but dull Honda.
But surely GS’s need tyres with macho names, like Trail Attack not something like Les Dawson called his mother in law

Re visting the CR3 , had a 400 miles Saturday , mainly back roads (wales) , shitty , slippy , gravely , green patches + a few really nice fast ( sports bike corners ) also the usual great welsh roads.
The tyres do perform well even in conditions which to be honest are not ideal , but edge to edge really good . To get them to slide took a bit of doing ( without being silly ) but they recover well , and you can push hard even when your head says no .
The general feel of this tyre is that it feels neutral , but push the front and it feels planted , the rear just sits and does its job , the front will move but as before recovers well.

Need a dry day to get the feel of the limits but so far really good , sometimes revisiting can pay dividends.
To add the PR5 is awesome but its like chocolate by a fire...….

Good summary stick. I find mine almost identical in feel to the way you describe yours. My only concern is a certain lack of feel from the front. It grips fine, I just can't detect the limits using the seat of the pants measure but tbh, I've found this when riding other GS bikes shod with different tyres. There's way more grip from the rears in wet weather when leaned right over than I've had from other tyres...very good wet weather performance. Dry they are up there with the best I've had on other bikes.

Battle Axes OK

battle axes fitted as OE to my new 1250, over 500 miles so far so good no complaints, .. didn't like OE Metzlers on my previous R1200R LC noticeably improved by fitting Bridgestone t31s, ..

:thumb

PS
battleaxes on my old Sprint ST were very good as well.

Good summary stick. I find mine almost identical in feel to the way you describe yours. My only concern is a certain lack of feel from the front. It grips fine, I just can't detect the limits using the seat of the pants measure but tbh, I've found this when riding other GS bikes shod with different tyres. There's way more grip from the rears in wet weather when leaned right over than I've had from other tyres...very good wet weather performance. Dry they are up there with the best I've had on other bikes.

Morety , I know what you mean , but I have learnt to trust it , push it , feel the limits and adapt . The principle of the front suspension does give the feel of lack , but in reality is a great system which once you get past the thought rewards well.
The normal forks on other bikes seem to throw up so many different situations that the bm seems to deal with as a package , in my opinion a package that delivers from the off with no tweeks , changes etc.
Others will disagree , to which I can understand but the BM is so good it speaks for itself.

Ride hard , find the limits and enjoy …..

I mostly agree with that stick, but deliberately finding the limits without feedback or feel could be a recipe for a spill (I'm still relatively new to the GS), hence my reluctance to totally trust the tyres just yet. Once I've got a thousand miles under my belt on them, I'm more likely to learn from experience where the limits can be found without needing to push to find them. Looking at the rears, the chicken strips are down to 10mm so I'm not that far away from the edge now. To scrub that last band off though I'd imagine feet would be scraping tarmac!

Dear Tractors are go, I'm about replace the Tourances on my 2017 Rallye GS which I don't think wear very well and was seriously considering the Bridegestone A41's. I'm a bit confused re your comment above. Was the it the A41's or the Michelin Pilot 4 trails that felt horrible?

Dear Tractors are go, I'm about replace the Tourances on my 2017 Rallye GS which I don't think wear very well and was seriously considering the Bridegestone A41's. I'm a bit confused re your comment above. Was the it the A41's or the Michelin Pilot 4 trails that felt horrible?
Dear Wombat,

I haven't had an issue with the PR4T or P5T, it was Avon trailriders (AV53/AV54) which took some time to get the right pressure, I certainly rate the Avons, I have a spare pair in my manshed as we speak, also just purchased a pair of PR4gt to try out, after long discussions with Michelin, who as usual are very helpful.

Bridgestone do make good tyres, I just find the carcass a bit hard compared to Michelin/Pirelli/Metzeler but that is mainly for track work.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom