Ducati Supersport S

Very hard to find, let alone test ride.

All i can say is the engine is the same as in my hypermotard and it is a stonking unit. Loads of low grunt and as fast as you could need.

The supersport is quite heavy though for what it is so it will feel a bit blunted in comparison.

Certainly for the money and the experience there will be better overall bikes out there in the same class but its a ducati and therefore brilliant

I put a deposit on an S when they were first released pending a test ride.
The riding position was very comfortable and I really liked the suspension which gave a very plush ride. Brakes and QS were also excellent.
I didn't however like the engine I found it a bit gutless and didn't like the vibration the bike had at motorway speeds , I could tell after about 30 miles that the transmissibility of vibrations would grate over a longer distance and I couldn't see a thing through the mirrors.
It also had a tiny tank , it was quite a nice bike but you can get a lot more for your money so I didn't bother buying one.
Lots of Ducati dealers have them on demo so it shouldn't be difficult to get a test ride.

Don't discount the 959 if you like the Supersport (although £1K more than the Supersport S). They are epic bikes and currently you can opt for underslung exhausts if buying new before the end of the year (to remove the cannons on the side) for an additional £800.

I find mine quite good for touring, knees complain at 400+ miles, its actually quite a good riding position with very little wind turbulence. I have sw motech blaze semi-rigid panniers for luggage.

I haven't tried the Supersport but a friend has one and loves it.

RBW.

I put a deposit on an S when they were first released pending a test ride.
The riding position was very comfortable and I really liked the suspension which gave a very plush ride. Brakes and QS were also excellent.
I didn't however like the engine I found it a bit gutless and didn't like the vibration the bike had at motorway speeds , I could tell after about 30 miles that the transmissibility of vibrations would grate over a longer distance and I couldn't see a thing through the mirrors.
It also had a tiny tank , it was quite a nice bike but you can get a lot more for your money so I didn't bother buying one.
Lots of Ducati dealers have them on demo so it shouldn't be difficult to get a test ride.

Agreed.
I tried an S and it was gutless.

Don't discount the 959 if you like the Supersport (although £1K more than the Supersport S). They are epic bikes and currently you can opt for underslung exhausts if buying new before the end of the year (to remove the cannons on the side) for an additional £800.

I find mine quite good for touring, knees complain at 400+ miles, its actually quite a good riding position with very little wind turbulence. I have sw motech blaze semi-rigid panniers for luggage.

I haven't tried the Supersport but a friend has one and loves it.

RBW.

Yum yum

dabf045399e4cc771645cd02a795578e.jpg

Thanks for replies.

I should add that this wouldn't be for me - Jo, my current fiance, wants to upgrade from her CBR500R before too long. She has some fairly specific needs - and that extends to bike choice.

She can't manage anything with a riding position that's too extreme and needs to be able to reach the ground (obviously). She uses her bike for commuting 10 miles or so each way to work, pretty much all year round. Also uses it for fun riding. It needs to have some luggage carrying capacity so she can take kit with her to work. Last but definitely not least, it needs to be pretty.

Choices at the moment are the Supersport o the Honda CBR650R, both of which she sat on and made brrm brrm noises at the bike show. The Honda will be about half the price and probably has a better chance of being faultlessly reliable. But (whisper this bit) I quite like the Ducati as well.

Back
Top Bottom