Removing stubborn oil from engine case

Komistar

Reaction score
I have a 1988 bmw r80rt that I've been restoring but I'm having trouble cleaning up the engine case. No matter how hard I scrub or chemicals I use it won't budge. Does anyone have any ideas?

stainless pan scrubber?

Have a look through one of Mikeyboy's build threads. I think he said he sometimes uses them.

A photo wold be a really USEFUL thing to let us see what we are suggesting a cleaning process for!

Then again that would mean you would have to subscribe

I suspect you are building a brat bike or cafe racer or something ????

Would be great to see pics of the restoration process, every little bit helps build the community which in turn helps everyone a little bit.

Have you tried soaking in paraffin? I have found this the best solvent to remove that sticky mess made by chain lube

Get a container big enough to submerse said component, fill with water and throw in half a dozen sterradent tablets and let it soak for 24 hours. Dishwasher tablets work as well.

... and once you have found the appropriate sized container..even better to get the wife in there to give it a good scrub:D

Attachments

• Korean-Bathing-Culture-4.jpg
    Korean-Bathing-Culture-4.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 394
Someone on here soda blasted a complete engine - just tapeing over the various orifices. Don’t know how effective it was.

Back
Top Bottom