G/S pd top totty

About stuck now ,till we get exhaust,valve covers,hand guards,rear shock and a few bits like badges,fuel taps.
I have an Oe screen to fit as well,
Oh and a short seat and rack:cool:

Attachments

• 130661D6-BC0E-4020-BD50-44F56B471ED0.jpg
    130661D6-BC0E-4020-BD50-44F56B471ED0.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 422
  • B4C0DFFE-48B7-4670-9304-D1E62DEE3B74.jpg
    B4C0DFFE-48B7-4670-9304-D1E62DEE3B74.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 417
  • F38ACDE4-90C4-4BE0-BBC7-562B2AF3CBA6.jpg
    F38ACDE4-90C4-4BE0-BBC7-562B2AF3CBA6.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 409
Disappointing seat cover - Siebenrock do a better one , and IMHO the red one looks better.
You have fitted off road tires, but the stock forks are simply not up to off road use when new and even less suitable after 30 odd years of use.
They need a billet top and tubular lower, soft springs and a matching soft shock, around 400 lb spring on the shock.
Enduro 3 Saharas are the best tire I have found for my G/S , with plenty of road grip and a nice bite into the loose stuff.
They last reasonably well too, knobs like you have fitted are usually shredded in less than 900 km, compared to 5000 for the 3's.

Disappointing seat cover - Siebenrock do a better one , and IMHO the red one looks better.
You have fitted off road tires, but the stock forks are simply not up to off road use when new and even less suitable after 30 odd years of use.
They need a billet top and tubular lower, soft springs and a matching soft shock, around 400 lb spring on the shock.
Enduro 3 Saharas are the best tire I have found for my G/S , with plenty of road grip and a nice bite into the loose stuff.
They last reasonably well too, knobs like you have fitted are usually shredded in less than 900 km, compared to 5000 for the 3's.
We rebuilt a g/s a couple of years ago,customer was /is never happy with the front fork,even after a rebuild with stancions and replacement legs.
There is a limited amount you can achieve with 35 +year old forks,
Must say though the hyper pro ones seem a lot better than the competitors,
Far more compliant on high speed stuff with a lighter oil
Edit,by high speed,
I refer to smaller fast fork movement,not fast off road.

He's building it for someone I know well

I am sure he will love it

If you post pictures of you work for comment you must expect that you will not be able to please all of the people, all of the time.
And I did confine myself to specifics, and offer constructive suggestions as to an alternative approach.

Hyperpro do have some decent stuff, but getting to it has become hard these days.

Their stock packages, which are all they seem to want to sell these days, can be extremely stiff, and there is little detail as to what rate the components are.

A few years back their site had specific details of all their springs, regular and progressive wound and the choice included the springs for the HPN inserts for the GS.

FWIW I have the softest BMW springs for 36 mm forks preloaded around 10% more rider sag than the 400 lb spring on the Ohlins at the rear, 5wt Maxima synth suspension fluid, a billet top triple and tubular lower brace and it all works reasonably well, for the sort of work a G/.S was designed to do.
The top triple has clear holes so I can raise the tubes through the triples to fine tune the turn in to suit the tires and my taste, and this makes a big difference to the feel of things too.

If you post pictures of you work for comment you must expect that you will not be able to please all of the people, all of the time.
And I did confine myself to specifics, and offer constructive suggestions as to an alternative approach.

Hyperpro do have some decent stuff, but getting to it has become hard these days.

Their stock packages, which are all they seem to want to sell these days, can be extremely stiff, and there is little detail as to what rate the components are.

A few years back their site had specific details of all their springs, regular and progressive wound and the choice included the springs for the HPN inserts for the GS.

FWIW I have the softest BMW springs for 36 mm forks preloaded around 10% more rider sag than the 400 lb spring on the Ohlins at the rear, 5wt Maxima synth suspension fluid, a billet top triple and tubular lower brace and it all works reasonably well, for the sort of work a G/.S was designed to do.
The top triple has clear holes so I can raise the tubes through the triples to fine tune the turn in to suit the tires and my taste, and this makes a big difference to the feel of things too.

Boff,
Your comments are always welcome,was just pulling your leg and requoting out of context.
As you say,we post on a public forum so expect the good,the bad,and hopefully not the ugly.
(How many other workshops are happy to do the same?)
Anyway,expect progress on this one,as we’ve got most of the parts now.:cool:

Kicking ass there Mikey, looking great :thumb2. It's also good that BB ( who also seems to know quite a bit about airheads ) can post some constructive criticism and you are happy to accept..always good to hear other knowledgeable opinions :D

Back
Top Bottom