ACF-50 for the winter, fine, but how do you remove it?

I don't think anything gets ACF50 off, other than time,

I ended up with a spot on my front disc years back and it was ages before they worked properly again... did the same in January this year overhauling the calipers, its nothing to stop brake fluid going on paint but ACF 50 seems to have wings.... even though trying to be extra careful. 2 or 3 spots on one disc and even 3 goes with heavy duty brush cleaning thinners and washing the bike does absolutely nothing. 200 miles down the road the brakes still don't work, not that big a deal at this time of year but quite how it manages to stick is incredible, nothing touches it aside from 6 month of time

wd40 would burn off in the first second the pad touched the disc, its basically useless although that said it does a better job than GT40, that stuff lasts about 25 seconds before its nowhere to be seen

Just wipe it off so a thin film remains . All the corners, fixings, joints and places where water / muck / salt can collect and hide get a good coat of waxy stuff.

Once a year...Clean and dry the bike...polish with BILT HAMBER carnauba polish...apply BILT HAMBER DYNAX UC...When you want to remove it use BILT HAMBER cleansing fluid.

BILT HAMBER DYNAX UC may be a little more tricky to apply than ACF 50, but it has far greater anti corrosion properties.

I have 5 pieces of mild steel that I pinned to the outside of the workshop wall about 5/6 years ago. This included a piece done with ACF50 and one done with DYNAX UC. 4 pieces including the one coated with ACF 50 are completely rusty a couple have almost rusted away. The one coated with Dynax UC now is about 30% covered with rust. After 3 years it had no sign of any corrosion in the 4th year it had a little around the edges. It has out performed anything I have ever used.

that sounds like good stuff. why is it more difficult to apply?

Yup acf50 is no joke if sprayed in the wrong place.

Was very very careful this time to rag up all parts you don’t want it. Levers, pegs, tyres and brakes.

Got some on my brakes before and they were literally never the same !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup acf50 is no joke if sprayed in the wrong place.

Was very very careful this time to rag up all parts you don’t want it. Levers, pegs, tyres and brakes.

Got some on my brakes before and they were literally never the same !

I wonder at what point ACF stops 'creeping'? Maybe migrate is a better word? So for example, if you coat the inner brake disc area (thin coat obviously) with some on a rag, will migrate onto the disk/pads???

You don't get Hybrid-X on disks, but it doesn't migrate. The disks and their screws come in for a hammering and look bad if not cared for.

It migrates a few millimeters not inches and any ACF that did get onto the discs/pads would be burnt off at the first application the brakes :thumb2

No way. ACF50 on brakes?! They will not work the same. You’d need to really scower discs and probably change pads too.

It clings on like crazy in my experience.

No way. ACF50 on brakes?! They will not work the same. You’d need to really scower discs and probably change pads too.

It clings on like crazy in my experience.

Nobody is going to spray the disks. Are they?

Er .

Accidents happen. It’s easily done when an idiot such as moi is let loose with a spray gun and a compressor.

It 100% wouldn’t burn off. Doesn’t it chemically bond to the metal or something?

Fair enough.

I trust ya.

I have been a bit blasé in the past and not paid as much attention to covering discs, my experience is it burns off fairly quickly...

...as evidenced by passers by always telling me my bike is smoking when I have to stop at the traffic lights half a mile down the road from my house after using ACF, it never prevented the bike stopping, just needed a bit more lever pressure, and after a few miles I cannot tell the difference - perhaps I am used to ACF lubricated discs?

Used ACF on at least half a dozen bikes and never had a problem afterwards.

Why remove it?

exactly....

the only place to remove it from is the brake discs and nothing I've tried gets it off (its the only downside... this stuff goes uphill and all over the place - magically jumping on to brake discs when you back is turned). Only thing I found works is circa 300 miles of braking.

I apply it with a brush... that way you have a chance to get it where you want it and the bottle lasts 10 times as long. Rasher, I don't understand how you think it OK on brake discs, my brakes with a 1mm spec on the disc effectively stops them working completely (they drop at least 90% of the power)

With a compressor it comes out as a fine mist, so I guess any over-spray that may get on discs is minimal - or perhaps my "masking" is working better than I suspected.

Back
Top Bottom