Buying a K1600 GTLE, WHY?

Jacal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive had 3 RT's and 3 GSA's, the latest being a Rallye GSA, and I'm seriously thinking about getting a 1600, can any of you knowledgeable lot, who have owned the same bikes give an honest opinion of the positive and negs and if you had the chance again would you make the same decision.

I know that the GSA is probably the best bike for the roads I like to ride (Dales) but would the 1600 be too much round them....That bloody engine is magnificent tho.

Ive had 3 RT's and 3 GSA's, the latest being a Rallye GSA, and I'm seriously thinking about getting a 1600, can any of you knowledgeable lot, who have owned the same bikes give an honest opinion of the positive and negs and if you had the chance again would you make the same decision.

I know that the GSA is probably the best bike for the roads I like to ride (Dales) but would the 1600 be too much round them....That bloody engine is magnificent tho.

Step back slowly from Allan Jeffries you silly owd coont. No good at all for you at your age around the Pennines, Dales and Lakes FFS.

:D

I love mine:

2018-06-20-16-56-31-1-2.jpg

I went from an R1200GS LC to my K1600 GTLE for several reasons.

1. The GS was badly affected by side winds
2. The GS felt skittish the faster I went
3. I didn't need any off road ability if I'm honest
4. The weather protection on the GS was ok, not great
5. Handling on the GS was always more acceptable than good, but it is a trail bike
6. I struggled getting a comfortable seat/position

Things I like about the GTL:

1. That engine is a peach, it makes my GS feel positively wheezy
2. Good weather protection
3. Good with side winds
4. Good carrying capacity
5. Batter for the wife on the back
6. Better touring kit - heated seats/electric windscreen etc.
7. It handles way better than it has any right to
8. High speed and cornering stability
9. Gadgets - although most are now available on the latest GS range
10. 250 miles from a tank when touring
11. So many electronics to keep you safe, but so has the later GS, both are good

Things I have to live with on the GTLE

1. The weight is high up, if your shorter then a Bagger/GA is a better choice as they have a lower COG, but have less ground clearance.
2. Stereo is crap, I don't use it
3. I'm still not happy with the seat/screen, but I can live with them and will ultimately replace them
4. The accessory socket can't run and air pump, but neither does the one of the GS, come on BMW, put a bigger fuse in it!

Try before you buy is the key to this. I could not suggest anything else other then the Bagger/GA versions of this as they are easier in car parks, but have less top speed ability and less ground clearance - neither of which are that big a deal on a big touring bike.

If your mostly on your own, also look at the Bagger/GT, if two up most of the time then the GTLE/GA is the way to go.

Toys like quick shift and reverse are not crucial, but they are convenient. I think things like sat nav, keyless, electronic suspension and rider pre loads are a great thing to have and make it a better bike for it.

The only reason I'd part with mine would be to update it for another one either the same or the GA just for car park ease of use.

James

Step back slowly from Allan Jeffries you silly owd coont. No good at all for you at your age around the Pennines, Dales and Lakes FFS.

:D
Iknow, I know but its that bloody engine Tim....Feck it's good

I love mine:

2018-06-20-16-56-31-1-2.jpg

I went from an R1200GS LC to my K1600 GTLE for several reasons.

1. The GS was badly affected by side winds
2. The GS felt skittish the faster I went
3. I didn't need any off road ability if I'm honest
4. The weather protection on the GS was ok, not great
5. Handling on the GS was always more acceptable than good, but it is a trail bike
6. I struggled getting a comfortable seat/position

Things I like about the GTL:

1. That engine is a peach, it makes my GS feel positively wheezy
2. Good weather protection
3. Good with side winds
4. Good carrying capacity
5. Batter for the wife on the back
6. Better touring kit - heated seats/electric windscreen etc.
7. It handles way better than it has any right to
8. High speed and cornering stability
9. Gadgets - although most are now available on the latest GS range
10. 250 miles from a tank when touring
11. So many electronics to keep you safe, but so has the later GS, both are good

Things I have to live with on the GTLE

1. The weight is high up, if your shorter then a Bagger/GA is a better choice as they have a lower COG, but have less ground clearance.
2. Stereo is crap, I don't use it
3. I'm still not happy with the seat/screen, but I can live with them and will ultimately replace them
4. The accessory socket can't run and air pump, but neither does the one of the GS, come on BMW, put a bigger fuse in it!

Try before you buy is the key to this. I could not suggest anything else other then the Bagger/GA versions of this as they are easier in car parks, but have less top speed ability and less ground clearance - neither of which are that big a deal on a big touring bike.

If your mostly on your own, also look at the Bagger/GT, if two up most of the time then the GTLE/GA is the way to go.

Toys like quick shift and reverse are not crucial, but they are convenient. I think things like sat nav, keyless, electronic suspension and rider pre loads are a great thing to have and make it a better bike for it.

The only reason I'd part with mine would be to update it for another one either the same or the GA just for car park ease of use.

James
Cheers James for the comprehensive reply, got one booked out next week so I really do hope its dry and I can get round the roads I'm used to.

I went from R1200GS to K1200GT to K1600GT, but I can still remember what the GS was like!

The K16 has (as you have commented repeatedly) an awesome engine. It is fast and comfortable for touring, surprisingly economical, has lots of toys to play with, and is (in my view) unparalleled as a two up touring bike.

It handles so much better than you'd think the weight will allow, and it easy to throw around at speeds over 30 and always feel secure. At town or country lane speeds it starts to feel a bit more ponderous to me and you become very aware of the weight. The slower you go, the worse it gets. Shuffling backwards and forwards on the drive (either sat on the bike or walking beside it) takes some getting used to and is always a slightly nervous undertaking for me. It just isn't very agile at very low speeds. And when it starts to go (if your foot slips, or the ground is further away than you thought) then it takes a huge effort to hold it up and beyond a certain point, it becomes impossible. I've only dropped mine once (car park, slow speed, two-up, trying a foolhardy uturn) but I've had a few near miss moments. If you're short (I'm just over 6') those moments are going to be more frequent, probably.

Ferry decks, steep and tight hotel drives, steep ramps out of underground hotel car parks... raises the pulse just thinking about it.

That said, it needs to be a very minor road indeed before I think I'd rather be on my 700GS. Motorways, dual carriageways, A-roads, B-roads - the K16 is fine on any of them. Single track roads take some thinking about.

If I could only have on ebike for all purposes, a big GS would still be my choice. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford two, so the K16 gets the nod for holidays and summer riding. The 700GS does for tedious commuting and country lanes.

EDIT: You can easily knacker a pair of tyres in under 4,000 miles. It runs hot and relies on the fan in town to keep it cool (though it has never overheated). And I'm saving already for the 18,000 mile service when the valve clearances need to be checked.

I went from R1200GS to K1200GT to K1600GT, but I can still remember what the GS was like!

The K16 has (as you have commented repeatedly) an awesome engine. It is fast and comfortable for touring, surprisingly economical, has lots of toys to play with, and is (in my view) unparalleled as a two up touring bike.

It handles so much better than you'd think the weight will allow, and it easy to throw around at speeds over 30 and always feel secure. At town or country lane speeds it starts to feel a bit more ponderous to me and you become very aware of the weight. The slower you go, the worse it gets. Shuffling backwards and forwards on the drive (either sat on the bike or walking beside it) takes some getting used to and is always a slightly nervous undertaking for me. It just isn't very agile at very low speeds. And when it starts to go (if your foot slips, or the ground is further away than you thought) then it takes a huge effort to hold it up and beyond a certain point, it becomes impossible. I've only dropped mine once (car park, slow speed, two-up, trying a foolhardy uturn) but I've had a few near miss moments. If you're short (I'm just over 6') those moments are going to be more frequent, probably.

Ferry decks, steep and tight hotel drives, steep ramps out of underground hotel car parks... raises the pulse just thinking about it.

That said, it needs to be a very minor road indeed before I think I'd rather be on my 700GS. Motorways, dual carriageways, A-roads, B-roads - the K16 is fine on any of them. Single track roads take some thinking about.

If I could only have on ebike for all purposes, a big GS would still be my choice. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford two, so the K16 gets the nod for holidays and summer riding. The 700GS does for tedious commuting and country lanes.

EDIT: You can easily knacker a pair of tyres in under 4,000 miles. It runs hot and relies on the fan in town to keep it cool (though it has never overheated). And I'm saving already for the 18,000 mile service when the valve clearances need to be checked.
Cheers Quinten
I've only had a short ride on a GT1600 and agree at slow speeds it's ponderous but to be honest I found the RT a little bit the same, and at a lot more weight the 1600 will be a handful until you get used to it.
At 5'11" and best part of 17st I suppose I have a little advantage but would still want to fit engine and luggage bars, I have an habit of dropping bikes in carparks DOH!

1x1150 GS
2x1200 Advs
1x1200RT
1 1200 LC Adv.

I’m used to the weight of the 1600GT even at walking pace. Didn’t take long. Comfy for me at 5’10”. Friends have GSs and I can keep up. They struggle to keep up with me sometimes.... I can’t carry as much shite with me now so not so good for camping. I have the wife on the back for trips abroad and she says it’s most comfortable bike she’s been on. I added a bit of colour to it as plain white was getting a bit boring.... I wouldn’t go back to a GS. Not even the new one.
Get a weekend long test bike if I were you.

Cheers lads, I have it for the weekend so hopefully will be able to know if it suits or not, instead of looking thro rose coloured glasses.

Smogbob....duly noted re dropping the thing, looks like it could run into thous and not hundreds ;-)

Jukin. I'm also a white bike man.

Cheers lads, I have it for the weekend so hopefully will be able to know if it suits or not, instead of looking thro rose coloured glasses.

Smogbob....duly noted re dropping the thing, looks like it could run into thous and not hundreds ;-)

Jukin. I'm also a white bike man.

Yep hopefully you will find something that really suits you, as eye candy is a terrible thing, I am just as guilty in the eye candy area, but have become wise with the aches and pains as to what is really wise for me now and later.........;)

EDIT: You can easily knacker a pair of tyres in under 4,000 miles.

I remember following Giles when he took yours for a quick "spin"! I'm surprised there was any tyre left on it when we got back :eek:;):D

I’ve had a few bikes in my time. Never a k1600 but I have ridden one. I have a rt at the moment having changed from a gsa 1200. The one bike I had about 10 years ago that in my opinion would rival the big k is a fjr. I know horses for courses but I’d consider one if I was in that market again. Of course the Yamaha can’t rival with 6 cylinders or the somewhat doubious advantage of the bmw badge but it certainly would give a good account of itself. JJH

I know that the GSA is probably the best bike for the roads I like to ride (Dales) but would the 1600 be too much round them....

The GSA is an ‘adventure’ bike, with a small ‘a’. It does not give it magical properties that make it the best bike around the dales. You could ride near enough any motorbke there and have a good time, not least as it’s God’s gift to the UK, so we are told. Or is that the bike?

Take a 1600 out for a decent test ride, around the dales preferably. If, at the end, you find it no better (as seems inevitable) than your GSA, toss a coin. If it’s worse, then put your wallet away.

For what it’s worth I have ridden a 1600 GT for miles, up Dales, around lakes, up mountains (and down again), around nadgery Ardennes roads in autumn when the leaves are falling and it’s raining...... and given it some stick down the D roads in between... it’s been top class all the way. The best bike I have ever owned? Without question.

Thanks JJH and certainly would be worth a look BUT I'm blinkered and sold on the BMW badge, bloody idiot springs to mind :blast

The GSA is an ‘adventure’ bike, with a small ‘a’. It does not give it magical properties that make it the best bike around the dales. You could ride near enough any motorbke there and have a good time, not least as it’s God’s gift to the UK, so we are told. Or is that the bike?

Take a 1600 out for a decent test ride, around the dales preferably. If, at the end, you find it no better (as seems inevitable) than your GSA, toss a coin. If it’s worse, then put your wallet away.

For what it’s worth I have ridden a 1600 GT for miles, up Dales, around lakes, up mountains (and down again), around nadgery Ardennes roads in autumn when the leaves are falling and it’s raining...... and given it some stick down the D roads in between... it’s been top class all the way. The best bike I have ever owned? Without question.
Cheers Wapping and agree the GSA hasn't got magical properties and I could ride any bike round the Dales, I have and that's why I'm considering the 16 BUT there's no better bike than the GSA for those roads, the draw of the 16 is the engine and the comfort for my old bones. I don't expect it to perform as good on the lanes so have an open mind.

A couple of questions tho, I see your in London, do you use it for commuting and if so whats it like ?

Cheers Wapping and agree the GSA hasn't got magical properties and I could ride any bike round the Dales, I have and that's why I'm considering the 16 BUT there's no better bike than the GSA for those roads, the draw of the 16 is the engine and the comfort for my old bones. I don't expect it to perform as good on the lanes so have an open mind.

When you get to the fun roads in the Dales, you know the tiny ones with grass up the middle or gravel strewn - then a K1600 or maybe a GSA is no fun at all

Having had big road biased tourers before, I would hate one now as the weight/bulk is a drawback on the roads that are the most fun to ride

Cheers Johnny, "grass up the middle or gravel strewn" not to mention fords or the bloody chippings they keep throwing over everything ;) I'm hoping that the 16 is no better/worse than the GSA and if so, I'll be getting one.....Roll on the test ride :beerjug:

I've not ridden the 1600, but owned a goldwing for a couple of years,so here's my thoughts on big tourers.

I'd never have another as my only bike.

Although it handled amazingly well for what it was, you have to plan well in advance for corners, braking etc.

It had a lower luggage capacity than my Givi equipped Blackbird, my Honda luggage equipped Varadero or my current gs and fixed panniers are a pain. The liners leave gaps that need to be stuffed with loose odds and sods that need sorting again every night and morning.

I rarely wanted to go for a sunday blast on it; it didn't light my fire that way.

The lovely Mrs Saint hated it. She felt disconnected from the ride by being sat too far back and much prefers the gs.

It was an itch that needed scratching, was fantastically comfortable on long motorway journeys but the gs is simply better. A better tourer and Sunday blast bike, handles better, much, much lighter, more involving, and most importantly, more fun.

Sorry and don't want to offend anyone but the thought of getting a "Goldwing" sends me running and hiding and if the 16 performs anything like one, I'd turn it round and give it back....Just not my cuppa and I' don't really think that the 16 looks like one, BIG yes but not humongous, I like to think of it as an RT on steroids ;)

Blackbird....Now there's a bike ;)

As others have said, my advice is to proceed with caution, if you are thinking of joining the K16 set. These are big old buses, heavy bikes & ownership can get expensive - just try trading one.

OK, I'm a bit biased, as my 2012 K16GT SE was an absolute lemon. Everything that could go wrong did - I won't bore you with the detail, suffice it to say, after 3 months in the shop waiting for parts, it had to go. Anyway, have a good browse through the forum ....... www.k1600forum.com .... if you haven't done so already Later builds, say post 2015, appear far better &, of course, the almost inperceptable facelift in 2017 brought a few more bells & whistles.

Yes, that big 6 is creamy smooth & seductive, but I'm with JJH here - an FJR won't be far behind, is super reliable, very reasonable to run &, that bit smaller/lighter - maybe a bit 'anonymous' though, if that matters. Then there are the likes of the H2SX, which takes the idea of a sports tourer on a step........or two.

Personally, I tend to think the days of the big tourer are almost over. Riders are looking for more versatility, hence the rise & rise of the adventure sector, just as we have seen in the car market with SUVs. Hardly surprising then to find that we still have the big GS dominating sales charts in the UK, just a shame the new baby brother isn't more impressive.

BTW, Just my 2p worth. Have fun deciding.

Back
Top Bottom