Talk me into / out of a Pan

Had 3 pans
1 - 1100
2- 1300
The 1300 is IMHO just a much better machine :thumb2

I only got rid of my last ST1300 because of the weight, sure the RT has more gadgets (ESA etc etc) but the ST was as good if not better at pretty much every aspect. If it was the same or less weight as the RT I would've never gotten rid of it. I wouldn't have a BMW out of warranty, but that didn't concern me for one minute with an ST with north of 80k on, easy to home service (tip: buy a packet of spare fairing snaps - eBay), ran like a swiss watch and only felt a little unstable above 110mph.

The pan, good bike but can be a bugger to work on and it takes ages to get all that plastic off - RT, not so much............

Well,

Thanks all for the advice & comments.

It seems half of you are advising the RT12? Whilst Im not adverse to the idea, and admittedly I haven't ridden one (yet) my bias would be to steer away from all the electronic gizmo's from a reliability point of view. I am sure that the RT12 is a fantastic bike

Also, comparable RT12's vs RT11/13 are at a 50% premium really. I admit I am still drawn to the ST11 for the following reasons :

Carbs vs Injection. Ease of maintenance comes to mind.
V4 vs Boxer - Im kinda leaning towards the V4 since all my present stuff is a boxer
Price point - Im kinda tired of having to pay double (minimum) for BMW stuff here (120 CHF /100 quid for rear brake pads)
Good old fashioned Analogue vs LCD stuff.

Im leaning towards the more simple than complex, maybe an RT11xx or even an old GL? ( cat amongst pigeons)

Im not done deciding - Something for the Nord Capp...

F2L

With the greatest of respect you have lovely bunch of motorcycles. You could solve your touring problems with a large screen on the gsa. JJH

Thanks for that. The problem is I have too many really. Im going to get rid of the R12C for sure. Its an easy bike to ride. Just throw your leg over it on a Sunday morning but its a bit soul-less really. The GSPD was my project bike when I bought it. I rode it home from Zurich about 5 years ago, replaced a few bits, then the market price doubled. Seems sacrilege to modify a bike when the value is in the originality. Alsoit's a bit short in the leg, brakes are feeble, and underpowered for me. All these are fixable with the appliance of $$$ but I doubt it would change on the whole.
Getting rid of the GSA will be hard. I tried the GS1200 - just didn't have the character of my 1150GSA. Ive got all the bits, and it is my current go-to bike for any milage. I doubt a bigger screen would change it a great deal, the GSA has a barn door up front as it is.

Hi F2L

I picked up on your comment about “soulless”. One thing to consider about the ST is that is is a bit lacking in character. Now some will like that, but others have described it as soulless as well.

And my experience of injectors vs carbs is injectors make maintenance much easier!

Anyway, it’s a great choice to have to make, and guess what, if it turns out you don’t like the choice you made, you can change things eh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I did 13 years on 1100 Pan police bikes....

I also like the fact there's a bike standing in my garage that doesn't owe me a fortune, which help it doesn't get used in a while, but saying that I'm using it to commute through the winter this time .

So is there any major difference between the standard ST11 and the police version ? apart from the rear box? Are they maintained to a better degree etc?

Im getting to that idea of something that doesn't owe me a fortune bit maybe that's the leaning to the ST11. Ive just bought a GTS1000 - on a whim, its a nice "object" and cheap as chips and so very different than all the Boxers.

Ive essentially got about 6-12 months free time almost and looking to travel and see as much of Europe/the world as I can. Need a bike I have no issue running for however long /far without being concerned about depreciation / finance payments and all that...

So is there any major difference between the standard ST11 and the police version

Yet standard have sad tossers riding them, and Police version have even sadder tossers riding them sometimes................;)..........sorry Bryn honest:D

Jealous.....;) so what are you buying then or still undecided.......
Still undecided but Im still leaning towards the ST1100 A.. Ive got to flog a few first so it won't be till next year. Next question is where do I buy it? second hand Bikes are normally cheaper here (Switzerland), but there's a good chance I will move to France next year, so I will need to export /import it..:nenau

Still undecided but Im still leaning towards the ST1100 A.. Ive got to flog a few first so it won't be till next year. Next question is where do I buy it? second hand Bikes are normally cheaper here (Switzerland), but there's a good chance I will move to France next year, so I will need to export /import it..:nenau

Just buy one in France way simpler.

I had 2 ST1300s over 12 years. Does everything well and mine were totally reliable over 50000 miles. Other than regular servicing, the only thing I had to change were a couple of light bulbs. Build quality is far superior to BMW IMO.
I sold mine this year & bought a 1200 GSA LC which I enjoy riding immensely, but I took out an extras years warranty as a precaution, something I wouldn't have dreamed of with the Pan. They are also a piece of piss to work on other than valve adjustments, which neither of mine required. The suspension needs tweaking which would cost @ £400 from someone like MCT and we had our seats modified by Tony Archer.
Although Pan is heavier, I found was easier to move at low speeds particularly when two up.

Back
Top Bottom