RIDE MAGAZINE

What was their conclusion ?

As you've noticed I was one of the riders on the test.

We rode the 1200 and 1250 back to back so the results were fresh in the mind.

The 1250 is noticeably more powerful throughout the rev range and picks up very quickly. It feels like it has a great wallop of torque at all throttle settings and really is a pleasure to ride no matter what gear you are in. The power comes in with no lag or delay and you cannot feel the sliding cam system.

I'd like to have one for a couple of days to do some proper riding away from a test track but I'd say that they have improved the motor to make it very rideable.

The only down side for me would be longevity of the engine with all those moving parts but I guess for most people that wouldn't be an issue.

I reckon it will easily live with thelatest crop of hihgh power adv bikes from KTM, Ducati etc on the road.

As for the brakes, it stops pretty well from 144mph ;)

Ageist eh ! Nowt wrong with years of riding experience to appreciate how far bikes have progressed to date and give an opinion .
As previously stated many youngsters don’t have the disposable for a luxury item.
Just visit any biker cafe ,hangout open your eyes and see the spending power of the Grey Pound.

I know but the magazines aren’t helping to promote motorcycling to young people by just enlisting old farts to test rides - the magazines need younger buyers in order to survive.

I know but the magazines aren’t helping to promote motorcycling to young people by just enlisting old farts to test rides - the magazines need younger buyers in order to survive.

And it’s a fuck off from me too .

It seems there is less young people interested in doing their car tests let alone going for bikes - definitely seems biking is for the middle aged plus category.

Oh and the 1250 is bloody awesome, the engine is loads of fun and so much better than the previous one - as for the brakes......meh!!!???

It seems there is less young people interested in doing their car tests let alone going for bikes - definitely seems biking is for the middle aged plus category.

Oh and the 1250 is bloody awesome, the engine is loads of fun and so much better than the previous one - as for the brakes......meh!!!???

I will almost certainly have a 1250 but bought my Rallye TE in April (my 5th 1200GS) - I was in two minds wether to wait for the new one but didn’t want to risk the problems that early adopters sometimes have and I’d already put 30,000+ miles on my old one in 3 years - I will wait for at least 18 months before changing, hopefully BMW will have returned to proper Brembo brakes by then and we will know how reliable the shift-cam is.

I will almost certainly have a 1250 but bought my Rallye TE in April (my 5th 1200GS) - I was in two minds wether to wait for the new one but didn’t want to risk the problems that early adopters sometime have - I will wait for at least 18 months before changing, hopefully BMW will have returned to proper Brembo brakes by then and we will know how reliable the shift-cam is.
It DOES have a proper Brembo caliper, the rear one.

Are you suggesting the mothership has fitted second rate parts ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It DOES have a proper Brembo caliper, the rear one.

Are you suggesting the mothership has fitted second rate parts ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I want proper mono-blocs on the front, none of those cheap bolt together Tesco value callipers designed for push bikes

There may not be one but the new brakes are made from two parts machined together to make the caliper , so cheaper to make, but with hard use this method can lead to flex and less effective braking when pushing the bike.
Okay if your bike is used , lets say in a conservative way the new brakes should be fine.
If however you push hard on a ride and rely on the brakes I feel the mono block design will give you the certainty of the full brake use with minimal flex.
The mono block design is used more on sports bikes I know but for me the Brembo has been a great stopper set , and you can judge the brake fade as it progresses and this for me is good.
I will change as I feel the change will be for the better.(that's the only thing I don't like about the bike )
Reading about facts is fine but even after 1000 miles on the new brakes I feel that the difference is enough to warrant the change as they don't have the same feel.

You don’t need to push the bike, BMW will send a breakdown truck to pick it up when it breaks down :aidan

Back
Top Bottom