This Winter's G650X Project

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So its that time of year and I've just started on my G650X Winter Project

This will be the 6th G650X I've rebuilt - this time a G650 XMoto

Fully stripped it down already and every single fastener , bearing and seal will be replaced along with anything else that needs replacing

All of the panels and the frame , swinging arm will be re-painted and I've sent the seat off to be re-covered

Here is what I started with - a pretty nice bike to begin with in fairness

300a5ah.jpg

Looks a little different after a day's worth of strip down....

avlu11.jpg

10dxrhk.jpg

walkk0.jpg

214ql34.jpg

15qdyx5.jpg

So its that time of year and I've just started on my G650X Winter Project

This will be the 6th G650X I've rebuilt - this time a G650 XMoto ...

Here is what I started with - a pretty nice bike to begin with in fairness

Amazing work but if you will permit me to ask, "Why?"

Regs

Simon

PS fancy a few weeks in Spain give my X-Country your 'treatment' :)

Hi Simon

Keeps me busy through the winter - some like going to football or playing golf I enjoy re-building/re-furbishing bikes

I may be over your way in the summer so who knows we might be able to do something with your XCountry

Cheers

John

While you're at it, could you manage a side elevation pic of the engine, please? I'm particularly interested in how the rear shock attaches to the head. It'll give me a heads-up (*Groan...*) about the practicalities of fitting the ex Charlie Boorman, Dakar Rally engine which is sitting in my garage, into my XCountry.

While you're at it, could you manage a side elevation pic of the engine, please? I'm particularly interested in how the rear shock attaches to the head. It'll give me a heads-up (*Groan...*) about the practicalities of fitting the ex Charlie Boorman, Dakar Rally engine which is sitting in my garage, into my XCountry.

Here's some pictures from last Winters build of my "HPX" , showing the Rear Shock attachment to the centre frame section :

4lmt10.jpg

w7n5up.jpg

6qz88l.jpg

2j3s0ma.jpg

Thanks for that. I'll need to go and peer intently at the F650 engine again.

I shall watch this with interest, because even pulling everything off to change the plugs and check the valves needs a major intake of courage for me! Hats off to the likes of you, who make it look so easy.:thumby:

Hi Simon

Keeps me busy through the winter - some like going to football or playing golf I enjoy re-building/re-furbishing bikes

I may be over your way in the summer so who knows we might be able to do something with your XCountry

Cheers

John

Ooh yes please! My bike is sadly in ned of some TLC but I'm one of those people who can wreck, say, an alarm clock just changing the battery ...

Meanwhile I'm thinking of buying an old Spanish bike to restore now that I'm retired - glutton for punishement or what! :)

Meanwhile I'm really looking forward to follwing this topic!

Regs

Simon

Spent 2 hours with a heat gun , bearing puller and a set of bering drifts removing all of the bearings and seals from the wheels , sprocket carrier , steering head and swinging arm

Take all the parts to the Powder coaters tomorrow

293gena.jpg

29z7pti.jpg

2gwzwx4.jpg

2a0g7zr.jpg

This afternoons job is cleaning the engine block and rubbing down and painting the corroded areas with satin black engine paint

Shiny new bits - nice new full Akrapovic System , just need to get the rest of the bike up up the same standard now to match

351hcvq.jpg

2rxb9nc.jpg

24v5rb9.jpg

Dishwasher for me and no wife to please since I got rid of her lol ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't those Akrapovic Titanium full systems look the biz :thumb

i-B53bMdQ-L.jpg

:beerjug:

will you need to have the bike re jetted or owt. Or does the engine management make compensating adjustments ??

Back
Top Bottom