This may be of interest to someone

I did say a well sorted Paralever, so unless you have ,the ability to prepare one and the skill to ride it quickly one you shouldn't really be so dismissive.

And, FWIW, on a decent biking road with a 110 km/hr limit I have no trouble outrunning a 1200 oilhead on my warmed up F650 Funduro, never mind my GS.

Yes, the Oilhead has more peak horsepower , but a single horsepower figure tells you next to nothing about how any machine performs in the real world , on roads with speed limits and, shock horror, maybe ever a bend or two!

But the comparison isn't that simple - bikes today have more power than anyone can use on public roads, and much more than most riders can handle anywhere, even on a closed track.
There are probably few who could ride a well sorted GS flat out on public roads, so putting most on a more powerful bike would bike would make little difference to their progress.
I few years back I had a bit of a windfall and the means to buy almost any ADV bike of my choosing.
I tried just about every bike available in Oz, and quickly came to realize that almost every magazine tester has never seen the bike he is supposed to be testing, never mind ridden it - there are a fair few shockers out there, and BMW make their fair share of them!

I ended up paying 400 quid for a rough but mechanistically sound 95 Funduro, which gave me plenty of room for an Ohlins and Team Pami bits too get it flying, but even stock it was better than some of the new bikes I test rode.
In just the same way that my well sorted GS is !

Just because some half witted road tester who prattles on about cruise controls and how he turns the ABS off because he is too skillful to need it gives a new bike a glowing write up doesn't mean they are any good.
At one BMW launch the complete fleet broke down irreparably before the scribes had even ridden theM, and at another the bikes were so foul handling that one of the testers was killed on the first day and the event was aborted, but in both cases the scribes penned their launch reports as if the launch has gone perfectly and gave the bikes glowing reports.

I don't see the world through rose tinted glasses - mine are clear and I see the real world, not the fairy land that magazine testers and those silly enough to believe everything they read live in.

Are you Boxerlust's grandfather ?

Crikey chaps,
I never suggested that an airhead would be there in a race:blast
Under normal riding a well sorted para Gs would do everything an 1100 would,but
Would be a lot lighter.
Comparable cruising speed,fuel economy etc,etc,
Which ,was the question asked:thumby:

Mikey, that is exactly what I what I was trying to say , a well sorted Paralever Airhead GS will do the job it was built for as well or better than 1100/ 1150 Oilhead.
I specifically excluded open road unrestriced running as all out roads in Oz have a 110 km/hr limit, but if you need a bike for open road cruising on unrestricted roads there are better bikes for that, maybe a Harley , they come with a cruise control now which is a boon for the brain dead!

My Funduro has been comprehensibly reworked with a top line Ohlins shock, matching Ohlins fork springs in revalved forks ,Tean Pami engine bits and probably puts out as much power as most airheads, in a on road package around 100 kg lighter than some of the oilhead GSs.

Almost all my riding is on bumpy, twisty , slippery spray seal B roads, or what should be hard pack gravel back lanes, and I rarely get any more than 5000 km out of any tire on any bike.
FWIW I killed a set of Knobbies on the Funduro in 900 km, the sort of tire you see on most wankmobiles with a tank that would probably take the it 1200 km.

IMHO this is the sort riding our GSs were designed for, and where light weight, excellent suspension and low down torque result in a well balanced package has no problem outrunning an over weight, over-sprung, under-damped , over complicated heap which makes a few more ponies it a part of the rev range you rarely use.

But I accept for some the only way to judge a bike is by reference to the manufactures claimed maximum horsepower - or even claimed dry weight if you are feeble minded enough, and I doubt if any amount of reasoning will get through to these sort.

It has been pissing down and blowing a gale the last three days so this is really just a bit fun until I get the G/S out , nice to get the ,err, other posters, screeching!

Might also be relevant that 1100/1150 GSs can be bought for less than $4000- in Oz , around a third of what a stock airhead para goes for and a quarter of the price of a mono, so it seems that in Oz at least anyone who has ridden both is prepared to pay a little more to get an airhead!
And well sorted airheads with all the fruit can go for up to twice the price of a stock bike, around the same as a new Waterhead GS.

Crikey chaps,
Would be a lot lighter.

That's all i needed to know Mike; i love my 1100 whilst it's on the move; it's when i stop it becomes awkward :D:beerjug:

Crikey chaps,
Would be a lot lighter.

Sorry Mike. :surrender

@Beemerboff - my KTM 690 weighs less than 140 kg and has about 65bhp - definately quicker on back roads than my 100GS, stops on a ‘sixpence’ (sorry, old fashioned English phrase) but doesn’t mean I prefer it to the GS. There’s an aweful lot more to it than performance on any kind of road or trail. For me, I’d go anywhere (already been overland to South Africa) on the GS, can’t imagine doing a 500mile day on the KTM, or taking the wife, or all the luggage. I’m sure an 1100/1150 wood cope but just don’t suit me. We enjoy long distance touring and currently have a K1100 but still prefer the 100GS.

Chas, I think you mean that KTM's claimed dry weight and gross horsepower are these figures, whether you chose to believe them is another matter.

But I have ridden one and they certainly perform better than bikes like a DL or a Versys which claim a few more horses.

In Oz the 390 KTM is around half the price of the 690, nice little bike but no ADV version yet, in Oz at least.

My well sorted Funduro is probably 10 % heavier and has around 10% less power than the KTM, but is much less of a uncompromising single use bike.
Is quite suitable for interstate and two up work and has a motor that has been certified for aircraft use, 1600 hrs at 5400 revs between overhauls , which equates to around 220 000 km of road use, and with sensible treatment will easily do a lot more.
But sorting it was part of the fun, it the final cost was probably 20% of a KTM.
It goes and handles probably better than I can ride and on a toe scraping run can make SOME guys on bikes that cost 10 times as much, weigh twice as much and claim twice the power look silly - whats not to like!
Apart from their tendency for the oil bearing frames to crack if you wring their neck hard enough on dirt ------.

I did say a well sorted Paralever, so unless you have ,the ability to prepare one and the skill to ride it quickly one you shouldn't really be so dismissive.

And, FWIW, on a decent biking road with a 110 km/hr limit I have no trouble outrunning a 1200 oilhead on my warmed up F650 Funduro, never mind my GS.

Yes, the Oilhead has more peak horsepower , but a single horsepower figure tells you next to nothing about how any machine performs in the real world , on roads with speed limits and, shock horror, maybe ever a bend or two!

But the comparison isn't that simple - bikes today have more power than anyone can use on public roads, and much more than most riders can handle anywhere, even on a closed track.
There are probably few who could ride a well sorted GS flat out on public roads, so putting most on a more powerful bike would bike would make little difference to their progress.
I few years back I had a bit of a windfall and the means to buy almost any ADV bike of my choosing.
I tried just about every bike available in Oz, and quickly came to realize that almost every magazine tester has never seen the bike he is supposed to be testing, never mind ridden it - there are a fair few shockers out there, and BMW make their fair share of them!

I ended up paying 400 quid for a rough but mechanistically sound 95 Funduro, which gave me plenty of room for an Ohlins and Team Pami bits too get it flying, but even stock it was better than some of the new bikes I test rode.
In just the same way that my well sorted GS is !

Just because some half witted road tester who prattles on about cruise controls and how he turns the ABS off because he is too skillful to need it gives a new bike a glowing write up doesn't mean they are any good.
At one BMW launch the complete fleet broke down irreparably before the scribes had even ridden theM, and at another the bikes were so foul handling that one of the testers was killed on the first day and the event was aborted, but in both cases the scribes penned their launch reports as if the launch has gone perfectly and gave the bikes glowing reports.

I don't see the world through rose tinted glasses - mine are clear and I see the real world, not the fairy land that magazine testers and those silly enough to believe everything they read live in.

Them roads in the Adelaide Hills are some of the best in the world, plenty of peg scraping and big horsepower is no advantage.

My well sorted Funduro is probably 10 % heavier and has around 10% less power than the KTM, but is much less of a uncompromising single use bike.
Is quite suitable for interstate and two up work and has a motor that has been certified for aircraft use, 1600 hrs at 5400 revs between overhauls , which equates to around 220 000 km of road use, and with sensible treatment will easily do a lot more.
But sorting it was part of the fun, it the final cost was probably 20% of a KTM.
It goes and handles probably better than I can ride and on a toe scraping run can make SOME guys on bikes that cost 10 times as much, weigh twice as much and claim twice the power look silly - whats not to like!
Apart from their tendency for the oil bearing frames to crack if you wring their neck hard enough on dirt ------.

Thumbs up for the Funduro - I rather like mine, its lasted in my fleet longer than most of my other bikes. I bought it as a winter sh*tter to save my sorted G/S but soon came to realise it was the lighter weight adventure bike(ish) that I was looking for, and BMW had already been making it for ages. Mine is well sorted mechanically now and just does everything really well - sure there are "better" bikes (and ive owned them) and it has a few built in BMW niggles (easily sorted), but in the real world it does all I need, and more than I am capable of. But it is fugly tho......

Back
Top Bottom