GS withdrawl symptoms...a novel concept

daytripper!

Reaction score
As a newly retired 'OAP' I was looking forward to putting another 50k on my totally sorted 1200GS but after 14yrs I have had to sell it as, on a bad day, I could no longer operate the clutch. I guess a new 2018 NC750X DCT beckons, power seems ok but it just feels small so am looking to ‘GS’ it to improve the seat / bars / footpeg geometry (am a 5’10” with 32” inseam). Have tried to find good info on relevant forums but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place…. Has anyone had done useful mods to their NC750X eg different screen, hard panniers & topbox, lower footpegs for dodgy knees etc. Hopefully advice from ex GS riders will sell the new concept to me. Or is there a better bike around for touring occasionally two-up (AT dct feels great but is too top heavy :tears)??? Any words of wisdom appreciated!

I can't believe you feel the AT is top heavy. I swapped a '13 GSA for it (but still have an 1150 GSA), The AT is a joy, slow speed, standstill etc. Did you try it for a decent length of time and have the seat in the low setting ?

How about...............

Loads lighter, great tourer.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 365
I think the clutch is one of the main issues for the OP... I had a Crosstourer DCT and while the whole bike didn't do it for me, the DCT concept would certainly suit you for left hand probs... I liked the manual option but around town stuck it in auto with the occasional manual override...

I think the clutch is one of the main issues for the OP... I had a Crosstourer DCT and while the whole bike didn't do it for me, the DCT concept would certainly suit you for left hand probs... I liked the manual option but around town stuck it in auto with the occasional manual override...

Absolutely, as time goes by the prob with my LH is only going to get worse. Other half misses the comfort of a bigger bike so now toying with the idea of getting a bike with gear assist pro (presumably you only use the clutch for statring / stopping?). That said I would happily buy an ncx 750 IF an ex GS rider said I've got one and have fitted lowered pegs / modified rear brake lever, fitted an XYZ screen and it now feels like a GS. I have ridden the new 310GS and the riding position was spot on (thus proving a small bike can work) but operating the clutch in heavy traffic was dire....

Like you I am having increasing difficulty with the clutch - presumably a combination of age, use, and last years fall.
Sticking with the GS for the moment but a AT with DCT is deffo on the list - slightly better performance than the NCX. It has the advantage of plenty of farkles available, plus easy suspension mods which will put it closer to the GS for on road use.
Just my penny worth.

Like you I am having increasing difficulty with the clutch - presumably a combination of age, use, and last years fall.
Sticking with the GS for the moment but a AT with DCT is deffo on the list - slightly better performance than the NCX. It has the advantage of plenty of farkles available, plus easy suspension mods which will put it closer to the GS for on road use.
Just my penny worth.

just not a screen that stops buffeting and wind yet....

just not a screen that stops buffeting and wind yet....

An dc that's one of the major probs with non GS adventure style bikes... Most has a piddly screen set at Paris Dakar style angles rather than one that's any good for touring...

Back
Top Bottom