New Anakees on the 1250

iandavid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got a 1250 GS/GSA with the new Anakee Adventure tyre which AJ says GS's are now arriving with?

The Anakee 3's were shite, just wondering if the new adventure tyre is any good.

Done a couple of hundred miles on damp roads so far. Nothing heroic but 80s-90s on bendy roads and they felt good. Early days but seem ok.

No the only thing i noticed was more wind noise than the tiger it replaced but i did have a Madstad barn door on the front of that.

Noisy, yes but you can't fault them for grip, especially in the wet. And being Michelin you know they'll grip till the chords show. There's a value to that.

I didn't replace them either, I bought Roadtec 01's. Good so far. Certainly a lot less noisy and smoother too.

Noisy, yes but you can't fault them for grip, especially in the wet. And being Michelin you know they'll grip till the chords show. There's a value to that.

I didn't replace them either, I bought Roadtec 01's. Good so far. Certainly a lot less noisy and smoother too.

Ta for that, but I seem to like the fact that the Michelin can do a tad more gravel, than the more road biased 01 correct if totally confused please...........:beerjug:

Ta for that, but I seem to like the fact that the Michelin can do a tad more gravel, than the more road biased 01 correct if totally confused please...........:beerjug:

No, you're not confused, R01's are 100% asphalt.

That is why they're noisy, especially at speed. I had them on my Tiger also which I came to from an enduro bike (WR400) and I have to say that 20% offroad ability on a 250Kg bike isn't much help unless it's hard packed earth or you're very good, which I am not. But there again, I did, as I say, come from a bike that had full-on knobblies so it felt very unstable to me in comparison. I don't offroad mine but if one is going to there really is nothing like a set of knobblies for doing so, and even more so on a heavy bike.

They are good tyres, though, no question, if you can stand the noise.

No, you're not confused, R01's are 100% asphalt.

That is why they're noisy, especially at speed. I had them on my Tiger also which I came to from an enduro bike (WR400) and I have to say that 20% offroad ability on a 250Kg bike isn't much help unless it's hard packed earth or you're very good, which I am not. But there again, I did, as I say, come from a bike that had full-on knobblies so it felt very unstable to me in comparison. I don't offroad mine but if one is going to there really is nothing like a set of knobblies for doing so, and even more so on a heavy bike.

They are good tyres, though, no question, if you can stand the noise.

Ta mate, well have Anakee 3,s on at the moment, and I hear no noise as many say, however have had a few scary moments with them in tight corners, front wheel seems to do its own thing, happened about 3 times, and as for offroad, I am only really talking about tight gravel or the odd track at the mountain passes when the road suddenly becomes stone and gravel, that really is the limit, so probably give the MA,s a bash.

Mine "peaked" when the rear was due replacement (on the GS, not the Tiger); still had tread in the centre, not on the sides. It was quite visible, too. But like you say, at some inclinations, with the extra weight compared to the Tiger and the different tyre sizes, they didn't inspire quite so much confidence. I'm not sure that won't be a feature of all the mixed tyres, though because by their very nature they have a smaller contact patch overall (on tarmac) needing to be more grooved to function offroad.

On reflection I think I would recommend them for an 800 with a 21" tyre but not for a 1200 with a 19" (or even 17 as I have seen). That would be my conclusion.

Ride safe

Mine "peaked" when the rear was due replacement (on the GS, not the Tiger); still had tread in the centre, not on the sides. It was quite visible, too. But like you say, at some inclinations, with the extra weight compared to the Tiger and the different tyre sizes, they didn't inspire quite so much confidence. I'm not sure that won't be a feature of all the mixed tyres, though because by their very nature they have a smaller contact patch overall (on tarmac) needing to be more grooved to function offroad.

On reflection I think I would recommend them for an 800 with a 21" tyre but not for a 1200 with a 19" (or even 17 as I have seen). That would be my conclusion.

Ride safe

Nice food for thought there, about the contact patch...........:beerjug:

I had one pair of Anakee II's and two pairs of Anakee III's on my 2000 GS and liked them both. Mine weren't noisy. I ride pavement and I'll ride any unpaved road if need be, but I'm not riding on single track or worse. I don't think they would do well in loose dirt or mud.

I'm about 2500 miles in on Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's and they're the best tires I've had yet.

Unfortunately my 2018 GS came with Bridgestones. Bridgestones mounted on Chinese wheels, what a deal! If I needed tires today for it I'd get the same Pirelli's.

Back
Top Bottom