Ultimate Windshield Adjuster

Just a quick update I received a few mins ago:

Puig (main dealership) do not have any 9718’s in stock and as they are closing for holidays mine will only be delivered on the 10th Jan. They were showing 1 in stock on the system, but it can’t be located.
Did one of you beat me to it ??? ;)
So a bit of patience & i’ll post install pics and thoughts once it’s on.

Have a wonderful New Year.

E.

Never... but then if you had the option to adjust at the touch of a switch, would you?

Anyone own an RT..? If so, do you regularly adjust according to road/weather conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex GS and current RT owner. I do miss my GS but needs must :-(

I "play" with the screen all of the time. Up for high speed cruising and down for any twisty stuff. I also tend to drop the screen when I come in to built up areas to improve my field of view in slow traffic. The amount of "up" and "down" varies depending on mood and conditions. The screen tends to be set higher when it's cold or wet!

All I can say is that if it broke the bike would be booked in to a BMW dealer in an instant to have it replaced/repaired...

Must admit money is better spent getting the screen strengthening brackets from Mr Hooton.

+1

I've set my screen with an X-creen diffuser. Locked and strengthened by Marks brace.

Not moved it in 18 months.

Job done :)

Puig install done.
Was fiddly, but relatively easy with the help of the Puig video.

Being Christmas day, i did not really have a chance to ride much.
But i can can confirm that the motor will raise the windshield on motorway conditions up to about 110kph. Much more (with wind) and it will struggle.
Saying that, It WAS quite windy and blustery on the way home. So in fairness the Puig should not be using with that kind of force blasting the windshield.

I am interested to try out the ERS in various conditions, but especially rain to see if lowering it helps quickly bead the rain off my visor by increasing wind flow.
Lowering it to the lowest position during some town riding today was very convenient, but i will have to search for the sweet spot at higher speeds as i rode home without my Wunderlich ergo-screen.
I re-installed it the moment i got home as it was simply too noisy and turbulent for me without it. My ears are still ringing!
Tomorrow i will test it out with the ergo and hopefully it´ll be less windy too.

The Puig cleans up the cockpit area of the bike and gets rid of the manual adjuster and its hardware.
At a cost of 500 euros, the E.R.S looks and feels high quality but i would have liked to see the motor operate smoother and stronger for that amount of money.
Time and use will tell if it can stand the strain of daily/constant use.

A video:

And some pics:
2018122514342176-IMG_7132-XL.jpg

2018122514342176-IMG_7133-XL.jpg

2018122514342176-IMG_7146-XL.jpg

2018122514342176-IMG_7148-XL.jpg

2018122514342176-IMG_7145-XL.jpg

Originally, I posted this up as a bit of a gimmick but seeing this installation on the same model and year(ish) as mine, I’m now thinking that it could be a quality addition. Thank you for posting and am looking forward to some video footage of it in use (if possible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea and thanks for the update, but 500 euro is a good few tanks of petrol, might just adjust mine at a petrol station.................;)

If you have the OEM auxiliary lights switch, you simply invert the up/down switch on the supplied PUIG bracket by unscrewing the 2 small screws and turning it the other way...you then attach the PUIG bracket pointing upwards.

The game changer with the ERS, imho, is the +60mm increased height over the OEM adjustment. It also goes down 20mm lower for you midgets out there.

If you have the OEM auxiliary lights switch, you simply invert the up/down switch on the supplied PUIG bracket by unscrewing the 2 small screws and turning it the other way...you then attach the PUIG bracket pointing upwards.

Thanks for the idea.
Will do it once I’ve got the right setup on the ERS.

I’ve noticed MUCH more wind noise and turbulence hitting my helmet (sides), neck and shoulders.
Extremely annoying and nothing like the tranquility I had with my previous setup. It looks as though the ERS has negatively changed the aerodynamics.
After a one hour ride I come home with a terrible ringing in my ears and I NEVER needed earplugs before.
To try and counter this, I have ordered a PUIG touring screen and an MRA x creen to try out. Of course this is after trying various heights and combinations with the stock GSA screen plus the Wunderlich ergo spoiler (both on and off). All combos were a complete disaster and the least annoying option is still far too noisy.
I may also order a Wunderlich Marathon (still on the fence about that one).

If none of those options work, I will be reverting to my previous setup and having very strong words with PUIG and posting ALL my findings + various setups. Not to get my money back but to prevent any other GS’ers from throwing away hard earned money. Hopefully one of the new screen(s) will allow proper air flow, but my expectations are not high right now.

I think that the problem is that by changing the whole Bmw setup you lost the air intake that existed beetwen the original windshield and the TFT screen (the small acrilic plate) , it channels an air flux behind the screen that hits the air that goes above it and neutralizes it.
I used that tech the first time with a Give airflow (I think) on a 2008 r1200gs it was a two part screen that did exactly that and was brilliant (the original Bmw one sucks) and Bmw later used that idea on the 2013 Gs with simillar sucess

I agree and if that’s the case I’ll be re-installing that OEM lower “lip” and trying on of the other screens without the ERS unit.
As I said, I’m hoping I can rectify the issue with a new screen. But I suspect you are right and I’ll need to dismantle it. The noise it creates is simply deafening.
I’ll update the post as I try out various combinations.
In the meantime, I recommend NOT buying the ERS unit due to this massive design flaw.

Puig arrived and installed.
A very very nice screen (for the price it offers excellent value for money).

It DID NOT help the awful noise the ERS created and as such I’m removing the whole system and reverting to stock (but I will re use the Puig Touring screen).

I have also ordered a set of Aeroflow HFX flares and “Gards”. But it’ll take weeks for those to arrive and clear customs.
I’m also going to give the Wunderlich Marathon a try. It’s ordered and should be here in a week.
But everything will be installed/tried without the horrible ERS system.
Save your money and stay FAAAAAAR AWAY from it. The ERS is a great idea, but badly executed without any thought to performance and aerodynamics.
0/10

Puig arrived and installed.
A very very nice screen (for the price it offers excellent value for money).

It DID NOT help the awful noise the ERS created and as such I’m removing the whole system and reverting to stock (but I will re use the Puig Touring screen).

I have also ordered a set of Aeroflow HFX flares and “Gards”. But it’ll take weeks for those to arrive and clear customs.
I’m also going to give the Wunderlich Marathon a try. It’s ordered and should be here in a week.
But everything will be installed/tried without the horrible ERS system.
Save your money and stay FAAAAAAR AWAY from it. The ERS is a great idea, but badly executed without any thought to performance and aerodynamics.
0/10

Its like poker mate, we always have to pay to see, thanks for the heads up, pity it did not work out............;)

Puig arrived and installed. A very very nice screen (for the price it offers excellent value for money)

I had the Puig on my previous LC, great screen but needed additional support and didn't allow enough airflow in summer to keep you cool. I swapped mine back in the heat to allow a cooler ride.

I had the Puig on my previous LC, great screen but needed additional support and didn't allow enough airflow in summer to keep you cool. I swapped mine back in the heat to allow a cooler ride.

Thanks for the info.
I’m using a gen.1 Wunderlich screen support. Should be strong enough, but if not I’ll try their gen.2 or the Cymarc one.

Thanks for the info.
I’m using a gen.1 Wunderlich screen support. Should be strong enough, but if not I’ll try their gen.2 or the Cymarc one.

Bear in mind that the Puig version doesn't require you to have extra clamps to support the screen - the supports don't have clamps.

Bear in mind that the Puig version doesn't require you to have extra clamps to support the screen - the supports don't have clamps.

But I think the Marathon will need some extra support.
Looking forward to getting rid of the ERS tomorrow and restoring normal aerodynamics!

An interesting thread. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

But I think the Marathon will need some extra support.
Looking forward to getting rid of the ERS tomorrow and restoring normal aerodynamics!

The Puig supports do both sides and work really well without additional clamps - certainly stopped the touring screen from bouncing about.

The Puig supports do both sides and work really well without additional clamps - certainly stopped the touring screen from bouncing about.

I have one too with a gsa windshield, works well but you have to help the shield a little with your hand while turning the handle

Back
Top Bottom