Plugging in new Auxillary lights

Interesting thread lads.

Im in the market myself.

I have heard that the oem ones shake if just on the bracket and not mounted to bars...true??

Other than that i was going sw motech or ???

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Got a set fitted by my dealer for £399 all in including bracket etc and a nice BMW Motorad hi-vis vest into the bargain. Thought of the hex can set up but chickened out. 2 year warranty as well. Good luck with fitting.

Fitted Them last night. I believe I have done it all correctly but can't be sure as..... they don't turn on :p
Will pop in to a local indie next week who has the BMW diagnostics kit. Hopefully he will be able to turn them on.
They look nice but not very bright at this point :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 424
Hmmm....
I visited my friendly local independent garage this morning who plugged it into their system and loaded up ISTA/P. The software connected to my bike downloaded all its spec (listing it) however we could not find how to actually add/programme my additional Aux lights.
Does anyone have any experience using this software and programming extras?

The tech claimed that usually with cars there is a drop down menu where you choose known factory/oem extras but we found nothing like this here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Neil

on my first l/c i fitted aux lamps myself and a mate with ista also failed to turn them on,dealer had no prob so on my latest bike fitted them myself and they programmed for free with no issues apart from a 3 hour tft update which had to be done before the lamps could be activated.

Thanks autotogs
Looks like I will have to wait for my next annual service (due in March) to get them activated by my dealer. I wouldn't consider asking them to do it in the interim as they would charge me an hours labour at £97.50.

I will still probably be humped as and when as they will add an hour to the service knowing them. I'm starting to think the Hex Ezi cam might have been a cheaper option..............

In the meantime I shall just pretend they work and marvel at my improved night time vision :comfort

well funny thing is i do have a denali cansmart fitted which runs a sound bomb and additional rear running lamp/stop lamp,but i prefered the neat mounting and look of the slightly updated BMW aux lamps.

The BMW solution is the way to go. Love mine! although they did come with the bike. Previously I had the 10w cree type that sit on the engine bars which were good value for money the BMW solution is neater...

I agree with you both which is why I choose the OEM kit. It just pisses me off that I need to get the dealer to switch them on as my dealer is a thieving git....

Fitted the kit on my last GS (twin cam) and they worked straight away. I ran out of luck. That said. May my problems never be any worse eh:beerjug:

Hmmm....
I visited my friendly local independent garage this morning who plugged it into their system and loaded up ISTA/P. The software connected to my bike downloaded all its spec (listing it) however we could not find how to actually add/programme my additional Aux lights.

The tech claimed that usually with cars there is a drop down menu where you choose known factory/oem extras but we found nothing like this here.

Neil

I think fredrooney has this software and may be able to help you. Maybe start a new thread specifically asking about this software.

Hmmm....

Neil

He needs to use ISTA+, not ISTA/P, on the LC GS. ISTA+ has a retrofit option for the lights.

Thanks Fredaroony.
That would explain it. He had ISTA/P & ISTA/A I don't think he has ISTA/+. Looks like a dry humping from my dealer then......

Thanks Fredaroony.
That would explain it. He had ISTA/P & ISTA/A I don't think he has ISTA/+. Looks like a dry humping from my dealer then......

I had similar from a Saab main dealer when i wanted a CEL diagnosed. he quoted me £80+ vat for diagnosis, i quieried the price, and he stated it was for 30 mins work .

I asked why 30 mins when the Code read is 10 mins tops, he tried to get flash stating that was the minimum time they could book etc.

So i asked that they code the autodoor lock function & the aux space heater at the same time as i was purchasing 30 minutes of diagnostics / code work ..

The dealer got all defensive and tried to make out that wasnt possible. I stood my ground.

they read the codes for £40+ in the end ;) & they could only best guess the fault - usless twats, its either A or B at £100 each so much for master technicians.

It cost 30 mins & £5 to clean a blocked map sensor they wanted £110 + fitting & Vat

I had similar from a Saab main dealer when i wanted a CEL diagnosed. he quoted me £80+ vat for diagnosis, i quieried the price, and he stated it was for 30 mins work .

I asked why 30 mins when the Code read is 10 mins tops, he tried to get flash stating that was the minimum time they could book etc.

So i asked that they code the autodoor lock function & the aux space heater at the same time as i was purchasing 30 minutes of diagnostics / code work ..

The dealer got all defensive and tried to make out that wasnt possible. I stood my ground.

they read the codes for £40+ in the end ;) & they could only best guess the fault - usless twats, its either A or B at £100 each so much for master technicians.

It cost 30 mins & £5 to clean a blocked map sensor they wanted £110 + fitting & Vat

Dealer has overheads. Ie rates, wages, electricity, heating and this is built into the price. Which is why our high streets are dieing as they struggle to keep up with on line and china etc.

I do accept that malcopolo however my dealer goes the extra mile to rip us off. Last month they charged a friend of mine £700 for a service on a 3 year old GS with no faults with 3,000 miles on the clock. That is taking the piss royally.

I do accept that malcopolo however my dealer goes the extra mile to rip us off. Last month they charged a friend of mine £700 for a service on a 3 year old GS with no faults with 3,000 miles on the clock. That is taking the piss royally.

ouch!

Dealer has overheads. Ie rates, wages, electricity, heating and this is built into the price. Which is why our high streets are dieing as they struggle to keep up with on line and china etc.

That may be true, but when the "master technician" comes back with its either MAP or MAF beacuse the diagnostitron says so, you kind of wonder how good they are?

There approach would have been spend £150 and see if part A cures it, if not spend another £150 and see if part B cures it ...

If however the "Master technician" had popped the MAP sensor off (1 bolt) he would have seen it was full of oily crud, and then had the option clean and retest or clean retest /replace

Thats what i'd expect for that amount of money, not a 10 minute code read and a guess.

I took me 5 minutes and a can of brake cleaner to clean the MAP - it never threw an error again

I know this thread is a little older now, but just installed the auxillary lights on my 2017 Gs so you can see what is behind the scenes, quite simple installation, remove 5 T25,s on each side panel 2 in front and 3 by the radiator, remove both side panels, then remove 2 T25,s holding the beak in place just by the handlebars, and remove 2 T25,s under the beak at the front, pull beak off gently, and that is the hardest part, I used a bracket from Hepko and becker, same as the Wunderlich one to install lights on, as this bar fits the wunderlich engine bars perfectly, and is designed for the OEM auxillary lights, I must admit after seeing them on the bike, I am very happy, not able to use them until I go to the dealer maybe Thursday and get them activated, made plenty of photos, hope it helps somebody.

Just back from the dealers very happy indeed, 20 euro in the beer box my choice, and all is activated and working perfectly. :D

Back
Top Bottom