Plugging in new Auxillary lights

JerseyNeil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Afternoon.
I bit the bullet and ordered the OEM BMW LED spotlights for my 2017 GS Rallye along with all the bits required. I have downloaded the PDF in relation to fitting them (whilst waiting for delivery) and all seems straight forward except for the fact that it instructs me to remove all tank panels, side panels etc to get to the socket to plug them in (which is on the left side of the 'beak').

This seems a bit of a faff to me! Have any of you done this modification and if so is there a short cut? I don't want to do 'half a job' but I really don't want to strip half the bike down if it is not strictly necessary.

Obviously the plug is not easily accessible without removing the odd panel or I wouldn't be penning this post but any hints on easier methods by those in the know will be very much appreciated.

Neil

You have to remove centre tank panel left hand panels and beak if using the oem Mount
It’s not that long a job
I did mine about 3 months ago the extra plug in the wiring is for extra daylight running lights (confused me at first ) The blanking plug from the bikes loom plug fits into that extra plug to waterproof it. It cable ties to the frame.
I did have to get the dealer to activate them on the bikes computer
Crack on.

Thanks for that. Looks like I will have to roll up my sleeves and get on with it. Thanks for confirming the extra plug. It does look a bit confusing but I was coming to that solution. Great that you have confirmed it.

I did fit a set to my TC which was a big job (fuel tank off as well). I was lucky then and the lights worked out the box without any dealer input. I hope my luck holds because I will be damned if I'm going to take it to my local dealer as they would charge me at least an hour (£100) and would probably fuck it up.

Plan B will be to wait til March when it is serviced as we have no other dealers here or ask around at other bike shops to see if they have the tech.....

Quoted £30 to fire them up done at 6000 service gratis was told it was easier on download with non tft screen

fitted mine myself but couldn't get them working...the supplying dealer said the bike needs to know they are on and software was the only way ! so it was logged onto the BMW mainframe and software uploaded. Worked perfect, took 20 mins and cost £0. I always deal with the dealership for bikes and service ,so this is were loyallty comes into play

fitted my own bmw aux lights,did not take beak off or center tank panel,and the dealer activated them for free.

fitted my own bmw aux lights,did not take beak off or center tank panel,and the dealer activated them for free.

Was that on a Rallye ?

Jim Von Baden JVB does a good you tube vid on removal Rallye bodywork .

Fitted some today to my 1250 hope dealer will sort it on Monday when I have my 1st service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that on a Rallye ?

Jim Von Baden JVB does a good you tube vid on removal Rallye bodywork .

no not rallye but its the same,i didnt need to remove anything completely ,just loosened off a couple of bits

Thanks for all the good advice. If mine do not work after fitting I may have to see how far over my dealer wants me to bend over. I'm a loyal customer (I give them a lot of my hard earned cash) but they are not likely to do me any favours. There is an indie over here that did used to have the full Motorrad tech as a bolt on to the car stuff so I will likely speak to him first.

Don't get me wrong I don't expect anything for nothing. They do need to make a living but I fear my dealer will make a killing rather than a living. After all the very same dealer charged my buddy £700 to service his 2015 GS with 3,000 on the clock last month!!!!!!!

one things is for sure they wont work unless turned on by dealer

fitted mine myself but couldn't get them working...the supplying dealer said the bike needs to know they are on and software was the only way ! so it was logged onto the BMW mainframe and software uploaded. Worked perfect, took 20 mins and cost £0. I always deal with the dealership for bikes and service ,so this is were loyallty comes into play

lol mainframe? It's just PC software called ISTA-D

I only quoted what they told me in BMW language !

i also fitted some to a twin cam,the differance is the twin cam set up is an entirely seperate wiring loom switch and relay so works straight away

Your are determined to urinate all over my chips :blast

I KNOW, I KNOW! but I'm not paying my dealer............... I will hunt around this Little Rock of mine for alternatives. It would be cheaper for me to book a ferry to France and go to Boxer Passion in Rennes than visit my dealer.

Fitted some today to my 1250 hope dealer will sort it on Monday when I have my 1st service

Programmed in by Bahnstormer this afternoon during 1st service FOC

Top service and chocolate hob nobs

Programmed in by Bahnstormer this afternoon during 1st service FOC

Top service and chocolate hob nobs
Alright. No need to show off!
I bumped in to an independant car mechanic who also dabbles in bikes over here. He advised me that he has the full Motorrad software on his system and for me to pop around after I have fitted them. So the future is looking brighter............ Spotlight kit is under the Christmas tree at the moment so not be fitting them til Boxing Day (or not as I'm working).

Back
Top Bottom