New battery required - advice please

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
Morning all,

It's a chilly, but dry morning here in Norfolk so I thought I'd get the old girl out for a ride (the bike). It's been on a trickle charge for the past 6 weeks, though there wasn't enough grunt left in the battery to get it going, not even close. I've been aware that the battery is reaching the end of it's life, though that day has most definitely come.

What do people recommend for a 2003, R1150GSA single-spark. I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to get one that will go the same way in a year.

Many thanks

T

You'll get a few opinions on this i suspect. But I'd point to two options. The oem battery is actually Ok. I just found my 1150 got through a battery about every 2 years. But mine had the servo and I later serviced the starter, which was in much need of it, so that was probably taxing the battery too.

1. The oem fitment ie. The Exide gel battery.
2. The Motobatt gel battery.- it's fits just right and has a double set of terminals which is very handy if you have additional accessories plugged into it.

You could of course explorer the lithium battery route. But from what I can see, they're still expensive. Or at least you're taking a punt if you were to get one. MW do some. Much much lighter weight, so an attractive idea for the 1150.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It's been on a trickle charge for the past 6 weeks....

Is that an intelligent charger like a CTEK or Optimate? If not, you may have cooked your battery dry.

My OEM 1150 battery lasted 9½ years - but it was hooked up to an Optimate pretty much every moment that the bike was in the garage.

Just buy an ordinary lead acid battery of the correct size/terminal position etc and then look after it.

Plus one for Tayna batteries...

I've had nothing but excellent service & speedy delivery from this company.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Is that an intelligent charger like a CTEK or Optimate? If not, you may have cooked your battery dry.

My OEM 1150 battery lasted 9½ years - but it was hooked up to an Optimate pretty much every moment that the bike was in the garage.

Just buy an ordinary lead acid battery of the correct size/terminal position etc and then look after it.
I'd suggest a gel rather than a bog standard lead acid battery. Just because of dropping the bike...

9 1/2 years. Blimey. Only my old ST 1100 did that! And that was with no charging/maintaining.

I'd suggest a gel rather than a bog standard lead acid battery. Just because of dropping the bike...

9 1/2 years. Blimey. Only my old ST 1100 did that! And that was with no charging/maintaining.

[SMUG]I never dropped my 1150![/SMUG]

Halfords Yuasa, cheap and cheaper still with a trade card. Measure the hole and get the biggest that will fit.

[SMUG]I never dropped my 1150![/SMUG]
Hahaha. Me neither actually.

In practice of course we all got along just fine with the regular lead acid batteries. But I guess with the advent of regularly available gel batteries, why not move over to them.

If it was me, I'd just get an Exide gel battery (which is the oem I believe). The price is Ok and is a known quantity.

Hahaha. Me neither actually.

In practice of course we all go along just fine with the regular lead acid batteries. But I guess with the advent of regularly available gel batteries, why not move over to them.

If it was me, I'd just get an Exide gel battery (which is the oem I believe). The price is Ok and is a known quantity.

I think once stocks are gone at retailers you won't find a wet battery due to the changed regs on storage of the acid. Note: most sealed batteries (AGM, MF, gel, Ca/Ca) are still lead acid batteries. The chemistry remains the same, just the electrolyte (the wet bit) is absorbed into a gel or glass mat and there is a valve to release gases but not liquids.

I think once stocks are gone at retailers you won't find a wet battery due to the changed regs on storage of the acid. Note: most sealed batteries (AGM, MF, gel, Ca/Ca) are still lead acid batteries. The chemistry remains the same, just the electrolyte (the wet bit) is absorbed into a gel or glass mat and there is a valve to release gases but not liquids.
Not entirely surprised by that news, though not heard it before.

Yes, aware the other flavours are basically the same just 'packaged' differently. Thanks for clarifying though, others might not.

Try Eurocarparts....I bought a new one 3 days ago...half price. XMAS75 is the code....yours would be £66, down from £120 (I have nothing whatsoever to do with ECP :D )

Try Eurocarparts....I bought a new one 3 days ago...half price. XMAS75 is the code....yours would be £66, down from £120 (I have nothing whatsoever to do with ECP :D )

so even with the "DFS Sofa" never ending discount codes, their price is not very competitive ... although handy if it's in stock and can be delivered the same day

Back
Top Bottom