New battery required - advice please

That looks like a really good price. Dumb/obvious question: is it a gel, AGM or other type?
That's what I thought. Good price!

You won't need a special charger either.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That's what I thought. Good price!

You won't need a special charger either.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Cool, so either of these will be suitable?
653ef0eeaa4e5aae73d9a572d10ede61.jpg
fc77934c7522092670243e24f4671f79.jpg

Ah, OK. I've never had that type before, does it need a specific type of charger?

any 12v charger will top it up if it is just a little bit low - any smart charger can be connected to keep it topped up over a longer period

it will need a charger labelled to suit MF/AGM/Gel/VRLA to recover it from very flat - the CTEK will certainly be okay. Says so in the instructions - this leaflet describes the charging phase. Older charges don't do the "fixed current" first stage which this type of battery needs if very flat.

No idea about the BMW charger, depends on its age. Can't find the part no. on google.

Is that an intelligent charger like a CTEK or Optimate? If not, you may have cooked your battery dry.

My OEM 1150 battery lasted 9½ years - but it was hooked up to an Optimate pretty much every moment that the bike was in the garage.

Just buy an ordinary lead acid battery of the correct size/terminal position etc and then look after it.
Hi Greg, this is the charger I'm using. Not sure if it's intelligent or not... Any idea?
Cheers
de2225c67f2c9e5fdb4c64d2e58aa882.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So my Motobatt failed after just 3 years and I decided it was time to modernise. Unfortunatly Lithium Ion batteries which are sold as direct drop in replacements on my r1150GS (2003) seem to be very expensive. Looking at the cranking amps specified in the original battery I bought one of these Lithium-ion motorcycle battery JMT YTX14AH-BS from Ebay about £108 and fitted it in with the foam block supplied and a few big cable tie. I've not been far yet and it not been cold (May time) but have started the bike some 20 times now and all is working well - really much better than even a new lead acid battery I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_134350182_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190513_134350182_HDR.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 183
You ought to pad out the battery with a piece of wood or block of hard foam.

Yep it has hard foam about half way up the side and there's no movement at all. Will be checking this after a bit more riding though.

Back
Top Bottom