Maintenance advice

Anthony Byrne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey
Any mechanics guide me on the below.

I did my last service (oil+filter) in November 2017 at 5k with the bike now at 10k so due full service should I wait till March until the winters over as she may well be sitting idle during the winter weather. Or should should I do the service now so she’s sitting clean.
I do still ride through the winter just not as much.

Probably not much difference but I’m new to self servicing and thought I’d ask someone longer in the tooth.

Better to have fresh oil/filter, if it maybe sitting unused for longer periods. Also new plugs, air filter etc helps reduce any extra strain on the battery.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Whatever makes you happy, it won't make any difference to the bike whether it's done now or later.

I'm on my 7th 650/700 Rotax engined bike & I wouldn't touch it.
( I have 650 XC single & 650GS twin both away for winter )
6k miles service interval. ( it's only 6 months max ) (3 months till March)

These motors are as Tuff as old boots & you won't hurt it..

For every bod who gives you a scientific reason to do it now there will another telling you to do it in spring. Other than personal preference I really don’t think it matters. Saying that, I’ve just done mine, whilst it’s quiet I find it’s a good time for big deep clean and strip down to check what’s fallen off or loose and service fits in well with that. If you find any issues you have a few quiet months to do them at your own pace. However, if your not a home mechanic then this is not a concern and you have the lottery of taking your bike to the dealers in whatever the weather and road conditions. If your a winter biker then you can laugh this off as pansy talk. I’m not! I enjoy looking at those superior beings whilst sitting warm and dry in my car. My loss I suppose ��

For every bod who gives you a scientific reason to do it now there will another telling you to do it in spring. Other than personal preference I really don’t think it matters. Saying that, I’ve just done mine, whilst it’s quiet I find it’s a good time for big deep clean and strip down to check what’s fallen off or loose and service fits in well with that. If you find any issues you have a few quiet months to do them at your own pace. However, if your not a home mechanic then this is not a concern and you have the lottery of taking your bike to the dealers in whatever the weather and road conditions. If your a winter biker then you can laugh this off as pansy talk. I’m not! I enjoy looking at those superior beings whilst sitting warm and dry in my car. My loss I suppose
It is, but a heated waistcoat/gloves and an Arma S suit means I'm dry, cosy and looking at all those people stuck in the traffic, as I glide serenely past.

Each to their own.

I have to admit, a guy on another forum I use occasionally, did put together a cogent argument for a late season change, so the engine sits clean if unused over winter. IIRC he was US based, in a snow State, was doing around 10k pa (double the UK average - it's a big place), & locked the bike away once winter set in so he could join the snowbirds. He had oil analysis undertaken after every change, showing clearly that although the lube looked clean come autumn, there were various undesireable contaminates in suspension, which led him to conclude that an end of season change is best.

The debate is down to whether these contaminates actually cause any damage when the bike is parked up. Personally, like others here, I doubt it, as long as the final ride saw the engine getting properly hot.

As Ash says, tough as old boots (the bike, not Ash, although............)
If its running fine then no real problem esp. if you had used a top quality oil.

Better to have fresh oil/filter, if it maybe sitting unused for longer periods. Also new plugs, air filter etc helps reduce any extra strain on the battery.

Changing the plugs on the Rotax twins is a pig of a job and doesnt need doing yet. I think thats a 16/20,000 mile change.

Steve

Changing the plugs on the Rotax twins is a pig of a job and doesnt need doing yet. I think thats a 16/20,000 mile change.

Steve
I know, having had 3 of them, 2 Aprilia and a Buell, anything that aids ease of starting is a good idea. Doing the plugs as part of a minor service made sense for me.

Back
Top Bottom