Electrical issue

jeremyj

Reaction score
Please can someone give me some clues.
Gs1150 twin spark two days ago reluctant to start ingnition on fires up and stalls when handlebars turned. Manage to get home check for wiring around headstock issue undid all cable ties found offending wire all taped up and loosely secured, now no ignition light fuel pump or lights or starter basically dead and battery is charged can't seem to locate a fuse have checked fuses under seat and clock is working

Start with battery connections, make sure they're clean and tightened up.

What could cause all of these to stop working, either a bad main earth

OR

Ignition switch, area near where you were moving wires about.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Have you tried a different key? I had problem with a Triumph which was down to worn lock/key combination.

I'd check connections at lock, as it is more likely bad connection (after being disturbed), disconnect check they've no corrosion and fill with dielectric grease.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

JJ,
Do a quick search for Steptoe's post about the ign switch wiring, including how to remove the switch block from the bottom.
Almost certainly a broken wire on the switch unit.

Neil

Believe there is a short replacement harness for this very common problem.

Yes just been on motorworks site anyone know how to replace was looking for Steptoe post can't find it

At the bottom edge of the ignition switch die-cast body there's a small hole filled with caulk, If you poke the caulk out there's a small slotted screw - unscrew this a few turns and the contact block drops out with wires still attached.
The other end of the cable plugs in under the front end of the tank - you may not need to remove the tank fully, just remove retaining bolt and unplug tank cables and slide the tank back a bit.

Cheers..........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Okay got replacement from motorworks fitted this morning ignition will only come on when I hold ignition wires connected to the switch, can I open this up as it seems I have a bad contact identical to original problem

Back
Top Bottom